March 26, 201412 yr comment_83500 ... and I gotta say I've gotten quite fond of building these things.They basically come in pieces on plastic trays you have to cut out every piece, sand them on the left-over nubs and polish them a little bit. These kits I built have some amazing flexibility, figure a human being flexibility, and would probably contain 200-250 pieces each. Sorry for some of the average quality picture, camera is a bit old and not the best. Report
March 26, 201412 yr Author comment_83502 I do have to say each one took something between 6 or 8 hours to build entirely. Report
March 27, 201412 yr Author comment_83510 Awesome. Love the movements. What do they run for a kit? Well it really depends, there are in general 4 types of kits. HG 1/144 - High Grades - The cheapest kits you can find. Smallest in size, pieces and lack details. You can find these for 20$ and less. If you like kits that are close to the real thing, not what I would recommend.HG example - http://plamoworld.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/dsc02870.jpg MG 1/100 - Master Grades - This is probably the best kits you can get, especially the more recent ones. This will give you the most bang for your buck. Offers best flexibility, such as the pics i showed, and are flat out, IMO, the best you can get. The details on these kits are usually nicely done. These kits also come with what they call an "inner frame". You could remove all the armor on the kit itself and it would leave the skeleton. Price range really depends on the kit itself. I've seen some from 40-50$ to 150$. Building on of these can easily take a day. This is an inner frame of an MGhttp://reggiocomics.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/5110.jpg PG 1/60 - Perfect Grade - This is the top shit, the best of the best. From what I've seen, these can take up to 40 hours to build. These suckers can go up to 350$. The articulation is superb and the details are simply unparalleled. Definitely not for beginners. PG - http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-eYRIHyEgge8/T67GtfGU8LI/AAAAAAAAC_k/vpCfTSZtsQ8/s1600/P5127456.JPG RG 1/144 - Real Grade - My personal favorites and those showed in the pictures. These are the closest to the "real thing". HG size, MG inner frame and PG detail. ONly thing about these are the tiny pieces, not for first timers. These kits run for 30-40$. So yeah, if anyone wants to start with this, I would recommend getting 1 or 2 HG simply to get a feel on how these kits work since they are not like any model kits. Once you got the hang of HG, MG shouldn't be too hard as they simply have more pieces. RG are like mini MG but with tiny pieces by time. EDIT: One thing I do highly recomend before buying any kit is to watch a review of it on youtube. More often than not they will offer tips and tricks on how to build it, what to avoid and sometimes warning. You'll also get an overview of the kit and see if it's recomended or not. Report
March 27, 201412 yr comment_83524 OOH!!I helped a friend build a couple of these. Yeah, taking your time with it is really important, while the MG definitely aren't cheaply made, you will forever regret your haste when you're done.Great job, Kira, they look sweet! Report
March 27, 201412 yr Author comment_83529 OOH!!I helped a friend build a couple of these. Yeah, taking your time with it is really important, while the MG definitely aren't cheaply made, you will forever regret your haste when you're done.Great job, Kira, they look sweet! Yeah, these things are not a race. Taking your time with these and doing the best job you can is defenetly worth it, especially if you can get a display stand and pose it in different poses. Really had fun with them. Report
March 29, 201412 yr Author comment_83559 I've been thinking, since I've supposed to get a new kit late next week, early following, would anyone be interested in some sort of picture update ,say every 30 minute, of the build being built? Kit I'm getting Report
March 29, 201412 yr Author comment_83565 I'd check out the pics if you posted 'em. Go for it, man. Then it's decided. Report
April 8, 201412 yr Author comment_83621 Sadly that package will be late and I'm somewhat unshure when I,ll get it. WIll update when I get it. Report
April 22, 201412 yr Author comment_83704 Well having found myself a job 2 weeks ago, I figured I could treat myself to a little something and so, after work today, I'll be going to the store where they sell these kits and pick one up, most probably a master grade. Not sure which kit I,ll get, depends what I,ll be able to find there. So if any of you were looking forwards to some WIP pics, I should have some up soon-ish. Report
April 22, 201412 yr comment_83707 Yes post pics please. I wanna see the effort it takes in putting these together. Report
April 22, 201412 yr comment_83708 Yeah, I'd like to see build process pics as well. And I just noticed, I think I have almost the exact same keyboard as yours (as seen in the first pic). Logitech MK700/MK710 wireless? Report
April 22, 201412 yr Author comment_83710 Master Grade Epyon from the gundam wings series is the chosen one. Report
April 23, 201412 yr Author comment_83712 Well from like 6pm to 11pm, I was able to make at least the mobile suit itself. Tonight I should be doing the weapons/shield as well as the wing backpack. Link to image gallery as I didn,t want to upload them all 1 by 1.http://imgur.com/a/niLNb Report
April 23, 201412 yr comment_83714 I'm glad you sometimes showed your tools in the images. Shows scale very well for me. Do all those pieces snap in or does each piece need to be glued into place? Thanks for sharing the process with us, Kira. Report
April 23, 201412 yr Author comment_83715 I'm glad you sometimes showed your tools in the images. Shows scale very well for me. Do all those pieces snap in or does each piece need to be glued into place? Thanks for sharing the process with us, Kira. No glue required. Everything is a snap fit. Once It's all done, I also bought a display base so I,ll be able to put it in some more "acrobatic" positions.PS: Even the display base for these things have to be assembled lol. I also realize on some of the images, the camera has it's focus on the background.... odd. Report
April 23, 201412 yr comment_83720 That looks like an insane amount of work. Awesome results though. Report
April 23, 201412 yr Author comment_83722 That looks like an insane amount of work. Awesome results though. Building it is but the first step. Once that is done, I'll be "panel lining" it.basically, I,ll be gong around the kit with a black 0.05mm ink pen and putting more details in the pieces that need it.Here's what I mean, notice the shoulder piece, once is panel line, other is not. Then, what that is done. I'll probably let it dry for a day or two and then I'll get onto putting the rub-transfer decals. Realistically, I'm probably only like 1/3 of the way done. Report
April 23, 201412 yr comment_83725 Craziness. Seems like a cool hobby. Though I feel like I could end up frustrated by the small parts. Maybe I'm just impatient. Report
April 23, 201412 yr comment_83730 I'm right there with you, Dat. Although I do like seeing the process being done by someone else. lol Report
April 24, 201412 yr Author comment_83736 Gallery has been updated Yeah, I'd like to see build process pics as well. And I just noticed, I think I have almost the exact same keyboard as yours (as seen in the first pic). Logitech MK700/MK710 wireless? Yep Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.