Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gamercide

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Welcome back to Gamercide!

PSN is down

Featured Replies

  • Replies 63
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author

Just got the email today. *sigh* time to change my passwords. What a *****. They are not all the same by any means, but some of them are and there are a lot of them.

Got that same email. :(

So I came across what is supposedly the chat logs of the group behind it. Very interesting stuff, to say the least.

If any of it is true, I don't see how Sony can fix this within a week, like they said. They'll need to upgrade and replace so much. It's entirely compromised the way it is now. Also, the legality of the information Sony has been collecting from its consumers (TV models etc), will probably come under scrutiny. Especially if the FBI gets in there.

From what I've read, Sony was extremely lax in their security. Using old version of network software, that were easily upgradeable and more secure. Also, the encryption they threw up when they figured they were compromised... broken within mere minutes.

Allegedly. =]

  • Author

If any of it is true, I don't see how Sony can fix this within a week, like they said. They'll need to upgrade and replace so much. It's entirely compromised the way it is now. Also, the legality of the information Sony has been collecting from its consumers (TV models etc), will probably come under scrutiny. Especially if the FBI gets in there.

The way Sony is talking now, their in the process of migrating servers to a new more "secure" location and will be bringing PSN back online with only a few features until the encryption coding is secured. So, basically we may not see the PSN Store, Home or even cross platform communication and play for another few weeks.

At this point I'm no long concerned with PSN being back online. This is starting to feel rushed on Sony's part, like they want to get just anything up and running for the sake of saying they have a functional online service. People need to know their information is safe and secure before anyone is going to be willing to jump back in bed with Sony again.

[user2] but sony is the biggest spy ever lol

[user2] also i found data it collects when i had usb device attached etc etc

[user2] so if they ever sue someone for psn stuff, they will be sued themselves as most of the data they collect is just not legal

Don't really know which data he has in mind, but I do believe PSN pulls information like which TV's you use etc. Maybe they all do, who knows. Still, that seemed to be a turning point in their efforts. These appear to be PS3 users, too. Some like to think it was to turn the tide in the console war (360 users), and others think it was a punishment for Geohotz. I'm starting to think a group got in there, saw how lax the security was, hated how Sony bragged/pulled features and generally treated their customers poorly (within what they came across). Each step of their progression inside, seemed to make them more and more shocked.

I may start saving the chat logs for this. I have a feeling Sony is going to launch another lawyer team, to have all of it swept under the rug.

Once again, allegedly. None of this is any sort of fact, yet. Then again, it could all be completely false. Still an interesting read, though.

If I had money to invest right now, I'd call my stockbrocker and tell them to invest everything in Sony when they bottom out. Just like BP, Toyota, ect. they will rebound.

Homeland Security Department Helping Investigate PSN Data Breach

Homeland Security Department Helping Investigate PSN Data Breach

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is reportedly assisting in the investigation into the intrusion that may have exposed millions of PSN users' personal data to unauthorized intruders.

"The Department of Homeland Security is aware of the recent cyber intrusion to Sony's PlayStation Network and Qriocity music service," DHS spokesman Chris Ortman told government technology site NextGov. "DHS' U.S. Computer Emergency Readiness Team [CERT] is working with law enforcement, international partners and Sony to assess the situation."

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/34364/Homeland_Security_Department_Helping_Investigate_PSN_Data_Breach.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+%28Gamasutra+News%29

"The Information Commissioner's Office takes data protection breaches extremely seriously. Any business or organization that is processing personal information in the UK must ensure they comply with the law, including the need to keep data secure."

It continued, "We have recently been informed of an incident which appears to involve Sony. We are contacting Sony and will be making further enquiries to establish the precise nature of the incident before deciding what action, if any, needs to be taken by this office."

The organization has the authority to take action against any company it believes has broken the law.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/34312/UK_Information_Commissioner_To_Question_Sony_Over_PSN_Intrusion.php

This is an excellent article. I applaud Gamasutra.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/34348/Opinion_PlayStation_Brand_Faces_Uncertain_Future.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+%28Gamasutra+News%29

Sony needs to understand all that. This is how many people feel right now.

The U.S. House Energy Subcommittee on Commerce, Manufacturing and Trade (which falls under the House of Representatives Committee on Energy and Commerce) has sent a letter to Sony boss Kaz Hirai requesting a variety of information. Noting that a hearing is coming up on May 4 to discuss data theft, the Subcommittee wants to know, among other things, how and when Sony became aware of the breach, when it notified authorities, why it waited to inform PSN users of the breach, and what leads it to believe credit card data has not been stolen. It wants its questions to be answered by May 6.

http://www.1up.com/news/reports-credit-cards-sold-surface-fbi-dhs-involved-psn-investigation

  • Author

Okay, so now this stuff is starting to hit home a little bit more. My best friend and neighbor (a PSN user) just got an email and phone call from his bank Thursday morning, notifying him of over 13 hundred dollars in charges made with his credit card on Tuesday from a Fry's electronics out in California (a state he's never even been to). So, now he's had to freeze his credit and is in the process of moving his accounts, while his bank, the local sheriff office and now the GBI (Georgia Bureau of Investigation) investigates the identity theft.

Okay, so now this stuff is starting to hit home a little bit more. My best friend and neighbor (a PSN user) just got an email and phone call from his bank Thursday morning, notifying him of over 13 hundred dollars in charges made with his credit card on Tuesday from a Fry's electronics out in California (a state he's never even been to). So, now he's had to freeze his credit and is in the process of moving his accounts, while his bank, the local sheriff office and now the GBI (Georgia Bureau of Investigation) investigates the identity theft.

Unfortunately, I doubt highly they'll prosecute whoever is involved. I think it was last year around tax time someone ganked a bit over 3k from my checking account using my debit card number (who knows how. HSBC has had to reissue lots of accounts many times due to breaches). They bought a bunch of plane tickets to the Caribbean, which they didn't catch right away. Two days later they called asking if I just bought 1st class tickets to London from the Caribbean. I got all the money back, and I notified authorities too, but no one would track it down. Banks just eat the cost and get on with it.

Heck, I even tracked down TONS of info for them. I knew the exact flight number, departing from a specific airport, the time of departure and even the SEAT NUMBER the fraud person would be sitting in (I did a lot of phone calls with the airline since i had confirmation numbers listed on my internet banking). I gave it all to them and they didn't do squat. If I could I would have tracked the mofos down myself in person.

It's sad really. Hope your friend gets all his stuff in order. I'm sure he will. He doesn't need to "freeze" his credit. Only get cards reissued and put a fraud alert on all three of the credit bureau companies (easy to do).

  • Author

It's sad really. Hope your friend gets all his stuff in order. I'm sure he will. He doesn't need to "freeze" his credit. Only get cards reissued and put a fraud alert on all three of the credit bureau companies (easy to do).

Yeah, I don't see this being resolved. He'll get is money back I'm sure and like you said the bank will eat the cost. It just sucks that of all the things you could get you identification stolen with, in this case it may have been something as innocent as online gaming...

I want to clarify the follow post I'm about to make. This isn't a sales pitch. I'm not endorsing any company.

I work in insurance. Some insurance companies offer by endorsement, a coverage for Identity Theft through Homeowners, Renters, Condo Unit Owners, etc. policies. If you're concerned, call your local agent -soon- and ask about it. The coverage will vary by company and state so make sure you get the details of what is and isn't covered.

This way, depending on the policy, you may not have to do all the leg work yourself.

Just my two cents.

This is a major cluster-you-know-what and my thoughts and my empathy go out to those affected.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.