April 21, 201115 yr comment_35289 And according to Sony, PSN will be down for a few days. Sony is citing Anonymous as the culprit. While Anonymous is denying the claim, they did offer to allow access to PSN if you gave them your credit card information. I assume if hacking were the reason for the PSN servers being down, it has alot to do with the recently resolved GeoHot vs Sony jailbreaking court case. Honestly, I lol'd. I'm rooting for the little guy, even if that means shutting some of us out for a few days to accomplish it, whatever "it" may be. There's no stronger message that can be sent to Sony, than a groups ability to completely derail them. But in the end this may be the best thing for the online PS3 user. Sony will most likely have to drastically overhaul its online because of this and introduce a far more comprehensive and better secured service in the future. Report
April 22, 201115 yr comment_35294 Interesting. Anonymous usually comes right out and takes the blame if they do something, but who knows with them. When you're anonymous anyone could be doing anything. Report
April 22, 201115 yr comment_35303 That's really odd, because yesterday, Sony said it was due to maintenance. Read it on several gaming sites.http://www.computerandvideogames.com/299075/news/psn-could-be-down-for-two-days/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS Report
April 22, 201115 yr comment_35308 These were tweeted yesterday and screen captured on another site. Report
April 22, 201115 yr comment_35329 It's still down .. it still says because of maintenance .. I can still access Netflix Instant Que and Tam and I are playing Oblivion again so I really don't care how long it's down for. A few days doesn't bother me but if it's a couple weeks I start to complain. Report
April 24, 201115 yr comment_35410 http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/23/latest-update-for-psnqriocity-services/SOMETHING THEY COULD HAVE MENTIONED OVER THE PAST FEW DAYS. Seriously, Sony, you shoot yourself in the feet more times than naught. lol Report
April 25, 201115 yr comment_35452 I just don't get them. Are they rebuilding their system, or what?"We are currently investigating to determine the cause of this outage and are working to restore and maintain the services. Since this is an overall security related issue, we will not be providing further commentary for this case."http://www.vgrevolution.com/2011/04/time-for-sony-to-shed-information-on-psn-downtime/Question 3 is right on the money. That should be the primary focus right now. Report
April 25, 201115 yr comment_35476 i took the writing between the lines to mean it wasn't a voluntary rebuild, but a rebuild none the less. Report
April 25, 201115 yr comment_35478 I think the timing isn't coincidental. You have a console starting to use cloud servers (Steamworks) and cross platform play with PC. Right when this happened, Amazon's own cloud servers went down. All this, right as Portal 2 releases, the game that would allow for cross platform play.I think Sony decided to utilize Anonymous as their scapegoat, while they fixed their own errors. Either way, I think it's wrong that they haven't said much. I'd be a tad bit upset right now, if I owned a PS3 and had my credit card info stored on my console. That is, if it turns out to be Anonymous behind it all. Report
April 25, 201115 yr comment_35479 i'm a little pissed just for having bought one, but that's beside the point. Report
April 25, 201115 yr Author comment_35493 This has turned into a far bigger mess than I thought it was going to be. I really don't like the idea of my credit card information potentially being stolen. And even if that's not the case, at what point did Sony finally decide it was time to let their customers know the servers would be donw? Oh, I don't know 4 days after the fact. I just can't rap my head around what they're thinking, does this bolster anyones confidence in Sony and their ability to deal with a crisis? Whatever it is that's happened, they've done it to themselves at this point... Report
April 25, 201115 yr comment_35504 I'm with you, Sega. They're repeatedly shooting themselves in the foot, over and over in under a weeks time. They need to realize, that communication is essential in any kind of relationship. Even customer relationships. Report
April 25, 201115 yr comment_35532 Wow PS3 is really messed up now.. http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/25/rumor-rebug-custom-firmware-enabled-free-psn-downloads-for/ Report
April 25, 201115 yr comment_35533 Yup - http://www.1up.com/news/rampant-piracy-blame-psn-downtime Report
April 25, 201115 yr comment_35534 Neth also says - "Mathieulh just mentioned that he has been in contact with someone that has official access to the SCE devnet servers and it was posted to them today that only 3.60+ debug firmwares will be allowed on the dev network anymore. All earlier versions will be cut. If you want to retain your access you need to contact Sony and upgrade to 3.60 debug firmware." Report
April 26, 201115 yr comment_35641 http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/26/update-on-playstation-network-and-qriocity/It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained.While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. Report
April 26, 201115 yr comment_35658 they hacked everything....http://ingame.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/04/26/6538683-hackers-stole-personal-data-from-playstation-network?GT1=43001 Report
April 27, 201115 yr comment_35671 GamePro nailed ithttp://www.gamepro.com/article/news/219055/editorial-sonys-astounding-breach-of-trust/ Report
April 27, 201115 yr comment_35672 This is Sony's reply"There's a difference in timing between when we identified there was an intrusion and when we learned of consumers' data being compromised. We learned there was an intrusion April 19th and subsequently shut the services down. We then brought in outside experts to help us learn how the intrusion occurred and to conduct an investigation to determine the nature and scope of the incident.It was necessary to conduct several days of forensic analysis, and it took our experts until yesterday to understand the scope of the breach. We then shared that information with our consumers and announced it publicly this afternoon."http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1164186p1.html Report
April 27, 201115 yr comment_35678 Sony may potentially hold the new record for "Largest Consumer Information Data Breach" after this is all over.TJ Maxx holds the current record at 45.7 million records stolen.http://www.msnbc.msn...ience-security/ Report
April 27, 201115 yr comment_35727 Wow. Hulu offers compensation to PSN users, before Sony does.http://www.1up.com/news/hulu-plus-members-credited-lost-ps3-access Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.