July 16, 201016 yr comment_13851 I wouldn't be surprised if they release free bumpers to all current owners. Better allow me to choose what color I want. Report
July 16, 201016 yr comment_13869 Interesting. Instead of offering free bumpers, maybe they'll be building one into new iPhones. What that means for those of us that already have their phone, though, is anyone's guess, if this turns out to be true. I could still see free bumpers given to people that already own one to appease us, or maybe exchanges for people that go to the genius bar to complain. I still think a recall unlikely, but I've been wrong before. I guess we'll see in 12 hours."A Wall Street analyst claims that his overseas sources are telling him that Apple has decided on a fix for the antenna problem plaguing the iPhone 4. Ashok Kumar, an analyst with Rodman & Renshaw Capital Group, says that what's being called an "internal bumper" is being added to new phones in order to better insulate the transceiver. According to the Kumar, suppliers in Asia have told him that the change is causing a slowdown in production, which has led the online Apple Store increase to shipping estimates to three weeks." Source: http;//modmyi.comAlso recently reported: Steve Jobs Knew of iPhone 4 Antenna Problems During 2009 Design Phase Speaking truth to power is never easy. But, last year, one intrepid iPhone 4 engineer told Apple chief Steve Jobs that the design of the iPhone 4 was ripe for antenna and reception problems. Shortly before the June 2010 launch of the updated Apple smartphone, executives were warned once again of the device's intermittently fatal reception flaw.Bloomberg News reported Thursday that Ruben Caballero, a "senior engineer and antenna expert" with Apple, notified his company of the design weaknesses that would produce the widespread call dropping and service interruptions via the "Death Grip" phenomenon. Source: http;//modmyi.com Report
July 16, 201016 yr comment_13876 i heard on the radio that apple engineers knew this was an issue, but jobs overruled them and went with the design. Report
July 16, 201016 yr comment_13877 I can't believe how much the public cares about this .. it's over taken most media. Forget about that horror show in the gulf right now .. Steve Jobs is talking!! Report
July 16, 201016 yr comment_13882 I can't believe how much the public cares about this .. it's over taken most media. Forget about that horror show in the gulf right now .. Steve Jobs is talking!!Since when is the news about what's important. It's only about ratings. Most networks won't touch real news with a ten foot pole. Report
July 16, 201016 yr comment_13885 Woz's solution? rofl! "If you can afford it, carry a second Verizon phone for backup. Another option is to carry a Verizon mifi and rely on Skype on your iPhone."Really? Buy a MiFi and use Skype for phone calls!? LoL Report
July 16, 201016 yr comment_13899 Yup, like I thought originally. Definitely no recall, just free bumpers.Oh, and Cow. Release to 17 countries slated for July 30th. I'm assuming one of those 17 is yours. Report
July 16, 201016 yr Author comment_13907 "But Apple needs to come up with a permanent—and free—fix for the antenna problem before we can recommend the iPhone 4."Scoff all you want at Consumer Reports. In my mind, they made Jobs face up to the issue. Report
July 16, 201016 yr comment_13912 Good lord .. Papa Steve must have talked to Bill Clinton for advice on how to avoid the direct question. .. Man, can this guy talk to a crowd! Report
July 17, 201016 yr comment_13919 There was no answer to this that everyone was going to like. They don't want a bumper because it ruins the look of the phone. Well, what the hell do they think that a redesign would do. The look that they like and find so attractive is what's causing the problem. There's no realistic answer here that will make everyone happy. The only impermanence to this solution is caused by if an iPhone owner takes off the bumper or case. If you want a more permanent solution, use super glue. Is this a perfect solution that makes everybody happen? No. Is there one? I highly doubt it. This was a minor issue that the press blew out of proportion. On any other phone, the few people that had a problem with this in their daily usage, would've just returned the phone and that would be the end of it. Because it was the iPhone, you got a bunch of people trying to recreate the issue to get hits on youtube, readers to their blog, or ratings to their network, not to mention the random iPhone/Apple haters that love anything that makes Apple look bad making this problem look much bigger than it ever was.Scoff at Consumer Reports? I do. They're just another media outlet screaming for attention. If they didn't call it "the best smart phone the world" in almost the same breath that they say that they couldn't recommend it, then I wouldn't scoff so much, but they're just a joke looking for subscribers from this, like everyone else. They kind of canceled their own opinion out on this one.I'm glad Apple confronted the issue. Whether it was Consumer Reports, the drop in stock prices, or just as soon as they could figure out which solution was viable...only Steve knows for sure, but it was inevitable, just as it was inevitable that Apple haters will slam their solution, Apple lovers will love whatever they do, and all the rest of us will either take the solution proffered or return the phones as best suits our needs. Report
July 17, 201016 yr Author comment_13920 lol The opposite is also true.Just for fun.http://www.tipb.com/...m-study-flawed/The apple lovers with blogs also benefited from this. I would dare also say, that anyone this defensive about iPhone 4, was a fanboy or girl.Pretty sure you laughed at the tape Consumer Reports brought up, but now you bring up super glue. Report
July 17, 201016 yr comment_13921 i havent been keeping up with this at all but i just saw this on my homepage:Apple Offers New Case for Troubled iPhone 4The company won't recall the phones, which have been plagued by reception problems. But Apple says a new 'bumper' will fix the issues & will be free for users. Report
July 17, 201016 yr Author comment_13930 http://crackberry.com/rim-official-statment-response-apples-iphone-4-antenna-propagandaOne last thing, Kitty. You say that Consumer Reports is a joke, looking for subscribers. Consumer Reports had its first issue in 1936. They hardly need to scrape subscribers off of the internet, and they are most definitely, not a joke. They have approximately 7.3 million subscribers. Report
July 17, 201016 yr comment_13933 The blogs definitely benefited from this. I even mentioned them as part of the problem, along with youtube. What's your point? I'm just trying to give a counter-point here, since I know most of the people here are fairly anti-Apple, but if you want to call me a fan-girl, that's fine. Personally, it's not that Apple can do no wrong. I wasn't impressed by the iPad, and I didn't get the iPhone 3GS, because they didn't make enough of a leap forward with it and I didn't see the point. This problem though just wasn't that big a deal. So easily remedied and just not serious enough to garner the national attention that it did (and still is). Quite frankly, too many people just enjoy it when a popular product fails. I find rooting for a product to fail worse than being overly optimistic that a product will be great. Different Strokes for different folks, I guess.Yes, I laughed at the tape thing and I joked about super glue. Sounds pretty consistent to me. Whatev with Consumer Reports. At the very least, their two conflicting reviews shows they dropped the ball on this, one way or another. I don't use them and based on this, I'm not impressed. Report
July 17, 201016 yr Author comment_13965 You wouldn't see my point no matter how I put it, Kitty. I don't see the need to explain myself any further. Apple is going to fix their problem. Report
July 17, 201016 yr comment_13972 The fix is not "ideal" at all, but the point here (to me) is that no company is perfect. I did a few tests of my own and took a friend's Blackberry and held it the same as they did in the Apple videos and sure enough, it lost signal. Same with my other buddie's Evo 4G. No product is perfect guys/gals. This issue completely exploded because of the 3 million units that were sold in 3 weeks. Think about that for a second. 1 Million phones per week since launch. That is about 140,000 per day. In comparison, the Evo 4G (The next most popular smartphone) sold about 140,000 in its first week.Is this a design flaw that has to be fixed? Sure. Is Apple working on it and offering a fix? Yup. Is it ideal? No, not for everyone but they are giving FULL REFUNDS and waiving the restocking fee if you don't like the bumper. What the hell else do people expect? A recall of over 3 million phones for an issue that affects less than 1 percent of the users with normal use? It's just not a viable option for a company. I don't care about blogs or Consumer Reports honestly. I'd rather form my own opinion. Report
July 18, 201016 yr comment_14004 You wouldn't see my point no matter how I put it, Kitty. I don't see the need to explain myself any further. Apple is going to fix their problem.I saw your points. I thought we were just having a good discussion. I enjoy talking about electronics. Sorry if you felt I was being annoying or ignoring the points you made. Report
July 18, 201016 yr Author comment_14010 It would have been a thumbs up icon, but it never carried over from the old forums. It was the closest I saw. My apologies. Report
July 18, 201016 yr comment_14016 It would have been a thumbs up icon, but it never carried over from the old forums. It was the closest I saw. My apologies.DAMN RIGHT CANADA!!!! WWWOOOOOOOO!!! Report
July 19, 201016 yr comment_14078 It would have been a thumbs up icon, but it never carried over from the old forums. It was the closest I saw. My apologies.No problem. Now I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.