April 5, 201313 yr comment_73981 Yesterday I finally finished the Lovecraft collection. So many good stories. Some of my favorites were The Cats of Ulthar, The Colour Out of Space, and of course The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath, being his longest work that ties together many of his short stories into a single consistent world and dream world. Later Lovecraft ties most of his stories into the same universe in which the fictional town of Arkham, Massachusetts exists, wherein the Miskatonic University is known for occult research. Technically, almost all of his stories could exist in the same universe, some taking place in the real world (the later stories), others in the dream world (mostly the earlier, shorter stories). Now I've started Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes collection. Some of it is a little hard to follow with so many European and British locations and services and such that I'm not familiar with being referenced, but it already seems like it will be a great read. The landlady had become so accustomed to my late habits that my place had not been laid nor my coffee prepared. With the unreasonable petulance of mankind I rang the bell and gave a curt intimation that I was ready. Then I picked up a magazine from the table and attempted to while away the time with it, while my companion munched silently at his toast. I laughed aloud at "the unreasonable petulance of mankind" for some reason. Most of the stories, as the above quote, are from Watson's perspective. Report
April 6, 201313 yr comment_74023 I just finished the second compendium of The Walking Dead and I'm starting on the books for the Game of Thrones since I can't actually watch season 3 right now and it's killing me! Report
April 7, 201313 yr comment_74048 I'm nearing the end of A Crown of Swords. It's starting to feel like a lot of book series do for me. Dragging on and on. Feels like filler, but its still good. Report
April 10, 201313 yr Author comment_74227 I am reading this and so far it is incredible. It's really,really funny. The way the author writes is just gah, i love it. Report
April 30, 201313 yr Author comment_75577 This book was just okay. It wasn't memorable, the storyline was just average. The protagonist kind of bored me. The side characters were WAY more interesting and I would have much rather read about them. Report
June 25, 201313 yr comment_77720 Just finished the Long Halloween trade....great story, very in depth Report
July 18, 201313 yr comment_78593 Paramount (Thirty Minutes to Heartbreak) Great book. Looking forward to reading the rest in this series. Report
July 19, 201313 yr comment_78610 On the world called Hyperion, beyond the law of the Hegemony of Man, there waits the creature called the Shrike. There are those who worship it. There are those who fear it. And there are those who have vowed to destroy it. In the Valley of the Time Tombs, where huge, brooding structures move backward through time, the Shrike waits for them all. On the eve of Armageddon, with the entire galaxy at war, seven pilgrims set forth on a final voyage to Hyperion seeking the answers to the unsolved riddles of their lives. Each carries a desperate hope—and a terrible secret. And one may hold the fate of humanity in his hands. This at the moment. The first book was amazing. It's such an amazing story. If you get the first book make sure to get the second book at the same time because without the second one the ending will piss you off. Report
July 13, 201412 yr Author comment_84329 Okay, so I'm reading this right now. Honestly, it's NOT very good. I feel bad because all of her fangirls/boys from her xbox days are ranting and raving about how awesome it is, which it isn't. It seems really rough, like I'm reading a rough draft not the real deal I'm only 50% through but so far I've encountered a lot of weird sentences that just don't fucking make any sense, or are very redundant. The character development is kinda meh, and I feel like I'm reading a smut novel,not a mystery. Report
July 14, 201412 yr comment_84342 Reading '11 Doctors, 11 Stories'. Different sorry for all 11 Doctors by different writers. Names like Eoin Colfer and Neil Gaiman. It is REALLY great for Who fans.http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Who-Doctors-Anniversary-Collection/dp/0141348941Also going through my Guardians of the Galaxy collection in preparation for the film. Report
July 14, 201412 yr comment_84345 Reading the Ascension series by SM Reine Elise is such a fucking bad ass Report
July 14, 201412 yr comment_84349 Ava, I'm reading the same one. Although I read #2 PWNED first, I jumped into Schooled because I got it for free Report
July 15, 201412 yr Author comment_84366 I finished it. It wasn't awful but It wasn't great either. I really could have done without all the usage of the word fuck. Moved onto Eragon Report
January 23, 201511 yr Author comment_86521 I just finished the Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. Wow. I thought it was an amazing trilogy and the ending left me feeling empty? I'm not sure, I haven't quite figured that out yet.I think it was released the same time as Harry Potter so it was likely over looked. But I highly recommend it if you enjoy fantasy/magic genre Report
January 23, 201511 yr comment_86522 Finished up Patton Oswalt's latest book, Silverscreen Fiend.It's about his 4 year period of watching a film nearly everyday in the hopes of 'learning' film enough to become a director. Great read. I recommend both of his books, this one and his other one Zombie Spaceship Wasteland. Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.