March 14, 201115 yr comment_32821 This is one of those bare-bones news bits that allows us to confirm a game’s existence, but little else. Prey 2 is in development. It’s on the cover of the French magazine Joystick. The subtext translates to something along the lines of “Nobody was expecting it... But that's going to change,” perhaps acknowledging that the sequel has been off the radar for years.Prey was originally published by 2K in 2006, but the rights of the property were handed over to Zenimax Media in 2009.That’s all the information we’ve got for now, although details should begin to circulate as soon as the magazine does. [source - GI]FERK YEAH![uPDATE] This weekend the cover of French magazine Joystick hit the web, boasting an exclusive look at Prey 2. Bethesda has stepped in and officially confirmed the game’s existence, revealing that it is scheduled for release in 2012 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC. Human Head Studios returns to the helm and the game is being built with the id tech engine.“We are thrilled to be working with Bethesda on Prey 2,” said Chris Rhinehart, project lead. “Prey 2 will provide gamers the opportunity to explore a new facet of the Prey universe, one that offers fast-paced action in an open, alien world. We’re excited to show gamers the title we have been working on and hope they will be as excited by this title as we are.”More details are promised in the May issues of Official Xbox Magazine and PlayStation: The Official Magazine, as well as the aforementioned French publication.id Tech Engine! Report
March 14, 201115 yr comment_32825 This better be true! I am not going to get excited, but I am excited. Don't lie to me Joystick! Report
March 14, 201115 yr comment_32832 this could be some great news, prey was a really good single player game. cant wait to hear more Report
March 14, 201115 yr comment_32834 I was just about to post this. Awesome news! I loved the first Prey, and I'm sure the second will be no different in terms of quality, I'm really looking forward to it. Report
March 14, 201115 yr comment_32836 <Spawn looks at Prey still on his stack of un-played games> I'll get it and it will sit on my stack "to be played" Report
March 14, 201115 yr comment_32837 What concerns me a little, although it COULD turn out well, is that they're turning it into an "open-world" adventure. Eeeeek. Not sure how much of the original they can retain by turning it sandbox. Report
March 14, 201115 yr Author comment_32857 <Spawn looks at Prey still on his stack of un-played games> I'll get it and it will sit on my stack "to be played" This weekend, you and I are playing Prey multiplayer. Cancel your appointments, wash your hair etc. Report
March 14, 201115 yr Author comment_32867 [uPDATE] This weekend the cover of French magazine Joystick hit the web, boasting an exclusive look at Prey 2. Bethesda has stepped in and officially confirmed the game’s existence, revealing that it is scheduled for release in 2012 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC. Human Head Studios returns to the helm and the game is being built with the id tech engine.“We are thrilled to be working with Bethesda on Prey 2,” said Chris Rhinehart, project lead. “Prey 2 will provide gamers the opportunity to explore a new facet of the Prey universe, one that offers fast-paced action in an open, alien world. We’re excited to show gamers the title we have been working on and hope they will be as excited by this title as we are.”More details are promised in the May issues of Official Xbox Magazine and PlayStation: The Official Magazine, as well as the aforementioned French publication. Report
March 14, 201115 yr comment_32872 Prey had an awesome story line. I hope the sequel delivers the same mind bending experience. Report
March 15, 201115 yr comment_32890 Ummm..... I dunno about the new look for him. I liked him when he was noticeably Native American. Report
March 15, 201115 yr comment_32908 Yeah the new secret agent look is a bit of a turn-off. Part of the appeal in the original game was the "average joe" hero who got abducted and saved the world. I liked that haha. Report
March 15, 201115 yr comment_32909 I just liked the whole Native American/spiritual appeal of the first game. Not many games have a Native American protagonist so it was a nice change. Report
March 15, 201115 yr comment_32912 Ummm..... I dunno about the new look for him. I liked him when he was noticeably Native American.I agree. Felt more believable and was easier to connect with him... Report
March 15, 201115 yr comment_32914 Is it the same character with a new look or a new character all together? Report
March 15, 201115 yr comment_32915 No one knows yet. I'm assuming it's a new character (which would be a little lame considering how the character from the first developed all these spirit powers and stuff). At least I HOPE it's a new character since this new one looks NOTHING like the original. Report
March 15, 201115 yr comment_32917 No one knows yet. I'm assuming it's a new character (which would be a little lame considering how the character from the first developed all these spirit powers and stuff). At least I HOPE it's a new character since this new one looks NOTHING like the original.Oh, I just assumed it was the same character with a new look. I'll definitely be disappointed if the Native American features of the gameplay disappear. When Prey came out, its formula was unique and refreshing. It wouldn't make business sense to abandon the core aspects of the original. Report
March 15, 201115 yr comment_32927 Definitely won't be Tommy making a reappearance."....players will take on the role of a federal air marshal who is aboard the commercial airliner seen crashing in the spaceship early on in the original game. Prey 2 takes place during the same time frame as the original, but with this different perspective, we're told.In Prey, Tommy sees a commercial airliner crashing onto the surface of the space ship he is on and hears a pilot calling in a mayday for "Seajay Air 6401." Later in the game Tommy comes across a human survivor of the crash in a holding cell.'We were flying over Topeka and then the lights, the lights, the lights everywhere. They took us off the plane... They.. .there's a big one.. It eats... it eats," the survivor tells Tommy before losing it and telling him to shut the cell door.Prey 2 follows the air marshal as he makes his way through the same ship, fighting off different warring alien factions with his pistol until an alien captures him. After that opening, used to tie the two games together, the game jumps forward, we're told, to a seedy alien planet that sounds a bit like the future Earth of Blade Runner. This is where the game really opens up, revealing the marshal as the only human on an alien planet working as a bounty hunter.The game is meant to be an open world title with multiple ways to complete objectives, but at its heart it is still a first-person shooter, we're told.Players will get clients via a communicator and gather information from the environment and the inhabitants by scanning non-player characters. These scans, we're told, reveal a character's intentions and identity.We don't know much more about the game, but we were told that one twist to the first-person shooter mechanic is the ability to grip ledges for cover and a heavy emphasis on platforming." Report
March 15, 201115 yr Author comment_32932 This baffles me. Truly baffles.Seems like a case of developer knowing what the customer wants, more so than the customer knowing what it wants. Report
March 15, 201115 yr comment_32936 Here is the premiere live action trailer for it: <object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="VideoPlayerLg51782" height="418" width="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.g4tv.com/lv3/51782"><param'>http://www.g4tv.com/lv3/51782"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><embed src="http://www.g4tv.com/lv3/51782" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" name="VideoPlayer" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="382" width="480"></object>PC Games - E3 2011 - Prey 2 Report
March 16, 201115 yr comment_32939 so i had to go rewatch the ending of prey just to make sure, but you did survive and walk off some where which made a second one very clear. but why would they change the characters? when you left off at the end of the first one you were about to see a whole new world of stuff out there. why go back to earth? maybe they will tie it in some how, but come on really? such a stupid change Report
March 16, 201115 yr comment_32940 I'm certainly less excited than I was when I first read the words "Prey 2". This doesn't seem like a sequel at all but an entirely different story using the same background. I'll still pick it up since I loved the original but I would have liked to continue Tommy's journey or at least follow his son or something. Report
March 17, 201115 yr comment_33023 Well, I can understand not necessarily following Tommy, since for all accounts, his story was mostly done. At least everything that drove him was gone. The part I don't like is moving to an open world setting. Prey was made by setting and story. Maybe they can pull it off, but I'm a lot more skeptical now. Report
March 17, 201115 yr comment_33070 so i had to go rewatch the ending of prey just to make sure, but you did survive and walk off some where which made a second one very clear. but why would they change the characters? when you left off at the end of the first one you were about to see a whole new world of stuff out there. why go back to earth? maybe they will tie it in some how, but come on really? such a stupid change....It's called "an Executive('s) decision." Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.