Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gamercide

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Welcome back to Gamercide!

Is The Ps3 Worth It?

Should I Invest in a PS3? 13 members have voted

  1. 1. Should I Invest in a PS3?

    • Yes
      38%
      5
    • No
      61%
      8

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

So what do you guys think? I am considering getting one. I don't have a blu ray player yet. I am really interested in getting a chance to play certain games like God of War 3, Uncharted Series, and others that I can't get on Xbox 360. The exclusives are slimming down though. No point in having two systems that have identical games.

I used to be all about the PS2 back in the day but I went Xbox for the last couple years for the online community. Just seeing if you all thing it is worth it. The $299 model looks like a good deal from what I can tell.

Thanks for any replies.

Vec

  • Replies 63
  • Views 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im gonna say no. unless you have a burning desire to play those few games. i bought a with my tax return a few years back, bought a few games for it and havent done much with it since. if you think your gonna play it just as much or more than your xbox then go for it though. but for me mine just sits there and collects dust.

  • Author

Thanks Stealthy,

That is what I am afraid of. Hate for it to collect dust. I play Xbox alot and figure I would play this quite a bit but there are just a handful of games that are different between the two. We shall see. I got a few days to think this over but good info.

I would say it's not worth it if you already own a 360. Pretty much what Stealthy said. And though there are some cool exclusives like Metal Gear Solid 4 and God of War 3, if you think about it you're just spending $300 to play a handful of cool games. Just do what I did and find a friend willing to let you use their PS3 and rent and play through the titles you're interested in lol. That's how I was able to play GoW3 and MGS4, and now I have no need to get a PS3. Although I would like to check out Uncharted someday based on what I've heard, and maybe Infamous. They're not essential though, I have an epic PC now, and that's all I really need. I'd say just save up a lot and get an awesome computer, because Steam is so epic with their sales.

ps3 is an excersize in frustration. i've spent the last few days being shocked at how slow and frustrating it is to download and play anything, and that's despite the fact that i already knew what i was in for. i reccomend puttng the money elsewhere, seriously.

some of our most hardcore gamers here haven't signed in for months.

I personally don't own a PS3, but A LOT of my friends have one (Sony Fanboys >_>) and I've played the best that the system has to offer. I would be willing to purchase one for the exclusives that I enjoyed, but the list is small since most of the top exclusives warrant very few playthroughs, and are very short. I personally like the Uncharted Series, Ratchet and Clank, Valkyria Chronicles, 3D Dot Game Heroes, and Demon Souls, but that alone doesn't warrant a system purchase for me if I still have a huge backlog of 360 games to get through, and the fact that all of my most anticipated games for next year are on both systems (except for Gears 3 and The Last Guardian). I'd say, if you really believe you will play it just as much as your 360, go for it, but if you don't know how much you will end up playing it, just stick with one system. It all comes down to the games you want to play and how badly you want to play them. If you have friends that own one, along with the games you like, play them at their house, but if not, you should be fine without them. Next year is looking pretty big for the PS3 though.

Next year is looking pretty big for the PS3 though.

that's what they've said every year.

As a Blu-Ray player alone, the PS3 is worth it for me. I've tried numerous times to find a BD player that matched up and have returned all of them. Sure, PSN is shit compared to Xbox Live and the peripherals are a pain in the ass to get to work, but the exclusives for it are great. I love mine, but if you question whether you'll play it then you shouldn't get it, because you won't wind up playing it.

I have a PS3. It's the 60gb launch system (the best one made, backwards compatible, mem card readers, 4usb ports, etc) and it doesn't really get played all the often.

Best games for PS3 IMO?

Metal Gear Solid 4

God of War 3

God of War Collection

Heavenly Sword

Demon's Souls

Uncharted 1 & 2

Little Big Planet

Warhawk (I looooove that game)

Valkyria Chronicles

3D Dot Game Heroes

Gran Turismo 5

Fat Princess (downloadable game)

Dead Nation (downloadable game)

Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction

Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time

Resistance 1 & 2

The Killzone series

Infamous

Yakuza 3

Heavy Rain (rent this one only. it's short with no real replay value but it was pretty cool)

MAG (256 player online FPS game? craaaaazy!)

Lair (A pretty fun game, made by the people who did the old Star Wars Rogue Squadron flying games. Very difficult though and can get frustrating with Six-Axis controls)

Unreal Tournament III (Not a PS3 exclusive, but better on PS3 considering it allows for the large DLC that Epic made. 360 won't allow it)

Most of the above should be exclusives I think. :) As you can see, depending on your taste in games there may be a few you might want to check out.

I say HELL YA IT'S WORTH IT!!! .. but it does depend on what kind of a gamer you are. I'm not a social gamer, I don't care to watch movies with friends or cross chat while I'm playing, so for me the decision for a PS3 out ways that of a 360. As Chris pointed out above there a a ton of fantastic exclusive games and I prefer the Resistance & Killzone series to Halo (or other FPS's on the 360, but I don't play multiplayer games). As a stand alone piece of hardware it is superior to 360 in every way, I don't want to start a flame war here because I go through the same thing these guys are talking about, but as a DVD player & a BluRay player it much better than the other options out there (plus it can handle 7.1 or .2 sound where I think the 360 can only handle 5.1) I've never had a problem with the PSN with anything from downloading a game/demo or a movie. Downloading and installing is a huge pain in the *** so yea .. you need a book while that is going on. Also I installed a (perfectly legal) media server on my computer and have access to TV shows and Movies that I ripped (perfectly legal of course) .. and yes I know the 360 has this option too .. I'm just pointing that out.

It's also great if you have a PSP because it connects and talks to the PS3 with ease. There's a lot of demo and early PS1 titles you can download for it. There's also a few other download titles that Chris didn't mention

Noby Noby Boy .. it's just so odd it's worth it to have

Flow and Flower are unlike anything you every played and are the only games that actual make good use of the 6 axis controller, proving that it does work and works very well.

Move is cool .. I don't use my a lot but I'll be getting Dead Space 2 on the PS3 and that has a revamped version of the Wii game Dead Space Extraction, plus Killzone 3, Heavy Rain, and Time Crisis are Move enabled.

As a Playstation Plus member the $50 or $60 bucks a year has more than made up for itself in free content. Games like Wipeout HD and Shatter are free to subscribers but you loose them when your subscription is up.

A lot of it comes down to money and whether you want to play with friends. If you like staying up on Xbox Live and playing with your friends you wont even be able to get anywhere near that level of online play with the PS3. If you don't have a decent TV or an okay surround sound system, having a PS3 wont be a noticeable difference. If you don't want to buy physical media anymore than a BluRay player isn't something you should be considering.

I love my PS3 and use it far more than my 360 but that's mostly because I am solitary gamer. I'm glad I have both systems (and a Wii that hasn't been turned on in 6 months) but unless you can afford both and not drain your bank account I highly suggest sticking with the 360 and waiting another 6 months to a year. All those games you want to play will still be there and much cheaper.

Also just so you know I had to send my PS3 into get fixed and the warranty on those isn't as long a 360 and it was around $150-$200 bucks to fix. That thread is here somewhere and I think I'm the only one here that's had a PS3 sent in, but it is something to be aware of.

Oh and don't forget that the two best games from last gens systems are being remade for the PS3. Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are coming on a single disc and the The Last Guardian will be out later in 2011. If you didn't play Team Ico's first 2 games on the PS2 than these 3 exclusives are worth buying a PS3 for.

As a stand alone piece of hardware it is superior to 360 in every way,

While it may have some higher specs in some regards, it isn't able to properly handle many game engines in the same way that the 360 does. A good example of this is the Unreal engine. Also, look at the differences between 360 and PS3 on Mass Effect 2.

I'm not saying that the PS3 doesn't have insane graphics for the games that it DOES do well on, bu the fact remains that most (not all) cross-platform games flat out look better on 360.

:)

Yes .. what Chris is saying is true .. spec wise it is superior but the 360 does handle some cross platform games better. That being said I still hold Metal Gear Solid 4 up as the high point to the current generation of games. I think it's superior in graphics, sound, and controls to anything on the 360. Plus the over hyped but shear awesomeness of Gran Turismo 5 (but I hate racing simulators) a rather amazing feat in gaming.

While it may have some higher specs in some regards, it isn't able to properly handle many game engines in the same way that the 360 does. A good example of this is the Unreal engine. Also, look at the differences between 360 and PS3 on Mass Effect 2.

I'm not saying that the PS3 doesn't have insane graphics for the games that it DOES do well on, bu the fact remains that most (not all) cross-platform games flat out look better on 360.

:)

I saw an interview with John Carmack about the specs of both systems. He was pretty straightforward, stating that the only real edge the PS3 has on the 360 is the Blu-Ray storage (which it is a godsend for avoiding multi-disc games, but spins much slower than DVDs). He talked about the PS3's peak performance, which in theory, sounds better than the 360, and if you have the resources to put that power to good use, along with a good amount of time for development, you can get some outstanding looking games. However, developing for both at the same time is tougher, because you have to put twice the effort to get the same visuals on PS3 as you do on 360, and most devs don't have time for that, so you'll tend to see most multi-platform titles getting a slight edge on the 360. (Linky)

Anyways, not to go ramble off into some tech junky rant, I think both systems have a lot to offer, and a person should only make the jump based on how much the console appeals to them. Regardless of specs, both systems receive a lot of the same titles now, with marginal differences between the two systems.

I can't stress it enough that if you can afford both than get both, but as a PS3 fanboy .. (I loooooove my PS3) .. I will honestly tell you that if you can only have/afford ONE system go with an Xbox 360.

  • Author

Thanks for all the responses so far!

In response to some of the comments especially Super Kev. To be honest I tend to be a more solitary gamer these days. Between work and everything else I find it hard to coordinate time to play online with friends during the week so the online does not concern me as much. I've tried but I can't stay up as late as I used to in the past so I miss out on some of the good gaming here. Gotta get up early each day for work. If my schedule changes I will stay up and play more.

That said I do play online here and there and squeeze in some friend time on the weekends when I can. I do enjoy it just wish I could do it more but I love single player games alot. So in short I play online with friends when I can all my other time is single player or couch co-op.

I have a HDTV with 1080p and two 360's incase one dies lol. I don't have a surround sound system though and probably won't for some time. When I get a house I might get something like that. Don't have the Blu Ray player yet either. I used to have a Wii also but since I never played it, I let it go.

I like what I see with the game list for exclusives though. It is not as big as I thought but, The Uncharted games, Ratchet and Clank, Resistance 1 & 2, The Killzone series, Infamous, the God of War series, Demon Souls, Heavenly Sword, and Heavy Rain all sound like they would keep me busy for awhile.

We shall see, I am still thinking on it. Hate to just make and impulse purchase and feel like I should of waited. I love gaming so much that I don't want to miss anything though. Uncharted interests me the most of all.

as a fan of watching paint dry, i will tell you....the ps3 bores me to tears with it's loading and downloading. mayhaps they'll develop some sort of paint drying background to keep me entertained.

  • Author

I can't stress it enough that if you can afford both than get both, but as a PS3 fanboy .. (I loooooove my PS3) .. I will honestly tell you that if you can only have/afford ONE system go with an Xbox 360.

I am not made of millions but I have my man money set aside for stuff like this haha :)

Shhh! don't tell the wife. Wait, she probably already knows anyways haha.

  • Author

as a fan of watching paint dry, i will tell you....the ps3 bores me to tears with it's loading and downloading. mayhaps they'll develop some sort of paint drying background to keep me entertained.

Wow the loading screens for games are that slow eh? Does installing games make it faster?

loading screens aren't the problem, it's the neverending updates. they are sooooooo slow. you know how you turn on your 360, it says you need an update, and 20 seconds later you're in? you know how it takes a few minutes to dl a game and then you play it? not so much. every time i play anything it has to update. usually about 10 minutes for it to dl....then install. everything has to dl, and then an equally long time to install. almost everything i do, i hit a brick wall. if you buy it, leave it on and randomly pop games in, that way if....IF....you decide to play it, you actually can.

some games on disc, when you put them in, they install something. 30 minutes later, you're good. but i'm not sure if you can just put them on the hdd like you do 360.

the online is almost non existant compared to 360. one time me and porge spent at least an hour trying to play poker. we gave up. it's not the same as live, at all, so resign it to being a single player event, period.

hell, when me porge and stealthy played resistance 2, we couldn't even figure out how to select maps, assuming you even can. if you die or win, it automatically picked some random map at some random location. there was no sense of progress.

it is what it is. i don't regret buying it really, but if it broke or something, i'd just go get a bd player and i'd be perfectly happy.

i literally have to force myself to find ways to use it just so it doesn't dry rot. if it weren't for the vudu app. porge wouldn't even use his i don't think. almost everyone in here hasn't signed in for 3 months or more.

loading screens aren't the problem, it's the neverending updates. they are sooooooo slow. you know how you turn on your 360, it says you need an update, and 20 seconds later you're in? you know how it takes a few minutes to dl a game and then you play it? not so much. every time i play anything it has to update. usually about 10 minutes for it to dl....then install. everything has to dl, and then an equally long time to install. almost everything i do, i hit a brick wall. if you buy it, leave it on and randomly pop games in, that way if....IF....you decide to play it, you actually can.

some games on disc, when you put them in, they install something. 30 minutes later, you're good. but i'm not sure if you can just put them on the hdd like you do 360.

the online is almost non existant compared to 360. one time me and porge spent at least an hour trying to play poker. we gave up. it's not the same as live, at all, so resign it to being a single player event, period.

hell, when me porge and stealthy played resistance 2, we couldn't even figure out how to select maps, assuming you even can. if you die or win, it automatically picked some random map at some random location. there was no sense of progress.

it is what it is. i don't regret buying it really, but if it broke or something, i'd just go get a bd player and i'd be perfectly happy.

i literally have to force myself to find ways to use it just so it doesn't dry rot. if it weren't for the vudu app. porge wouldn't even use his i don't think. almost everyone in here hasn't signed in for 3 months or more.

I'm CoyAndChris, and I approve of the above message.

If there are two things that REALLY irk me about the PS3 it's the above. The update install times are atrocious. I'm talking 30+ minutes sometimes. It's absolutely insane and drives me bonkers, and this is on a WIRED connection. There is no reason why it needs to take that long. Also, it seems that they are ALWAYS releasing new updates. It's not like 360 where we get one like once or twice a year (if that). They have em every few months if not more.

Many games also need to install content before you play. MGS4 is a good example. You'll watch a lot of loading screens while you wait.

The other thing is the online play. #1 - Nobody talks online. Almost nobody anyways. The PS3 doesn't come packaged with a headset like the 360 so you're going to have to pair some sort of bluetooth headset or a usb headset you buy yourself. The online play is severely lacking. If you're looking to play online, play on the 360 or PC.

Vec. You don't need a home surround sound system for gaming. You can get a pair of Astros or Trittons and play games and watch movies in surround sound. Perfect for late night, too. Just mute the TV and plop on the headset. Much cheaper than a full system, and portable.

Also, what GG said. =]

as a fan of watching paint dry, i will tell you....the ps3 bores me to tears with it's loading and downloading. mayhaps they'll develop some sort of paint drying background to keep me entertained.

They do already .. it's called books and smart phones. They do have a strange feature being a Playstation Plus subscriber called "Auto Download" .. I'm not sure how it works exactly but there have been a few times where I turned my system on the have a message saying "firmware updated" or "game updated for these titles XXXX", the loading and downloading is a ***** but sometimes it's better than the 360. On the 360 I install every game to hard drive and that takes forever just the same as installing games onto the PS3. And a little crazy (though expensive) trick for us owners of the Fat PS3 (me&Chris, ect) you are able to instal a SSD drive instead of the standard hard drives. I don't think you can on the PS3 Slim.

I suggest waiting a few months .. just to make sure.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.