Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gamercide

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Welcome back to Gamercide!

Is The Ps3 Worth It?

Should I Invest in a PS3? 13 members have voted

  1. 1. Should I Invest in a PS3?

    • Yes
      38%
      5
    • No
      61%
      8

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

lol. at least you can simply use the dedicated off button, unlike the 360 where yuou either have to turn your tv to it and navigate the menu or remember the button sequence for an "off" maneuver.

btw, this was an opposite joke. i was actually describing what happens with ps3.

  • Replies 63
  • Views 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author

I really struck a cord with this post :)

I think this is a good healthy debate as well. Thanks for the posts so far and the specifics. I like being educated so I know what i may be getting myself into. First off I could never part with my 360's. I love them and have some great friends. I will always be on Live unless Microsoft really screws the Xbox up haha.

That said, I agree this thing does come down to personal preference so ultimately if I think I am going to like it and get some good use out of it then it could be worth having around.

I am not biased towards any one console. I like PC gaming as well. I have had a gaming system of some kind since Atari 2600 when I was a little kid and have owned most consoles that have come out since then. I have literally just about played them all I think lol.

The biggest reason I don't have both a PS3 and a Xbox already comes down to cost. When PS3 came out it was expensive and when I had to choose one I went Xbox 360 for many reasons. Now it seems like a good entry point for PS3. The console is reasonably priced and some of the best exclusive titles have been out for awhile and I can get them cheaper. I love gaming so much that this exclusive stuff makes me feel like I am missing out lol.

I must admit though I feel more cautious about getting it after hearing how frustrated some of you are with the console, downloading, etc.

Gonna make a decision this weekend. I will let you know!

@PK thanks for the headset tip. I should get those for sure.

  • Author

@Super Kev

I don't mind the physical media still. Stuff like Netflix streaming is great but the limited selection makes me think that it is just not there quite yet. Music is a whole other thing for me. I love Itunes and mp3s.

I certainly enjoyed this debate but it was bordering on ******-esq fanboy rants. Having a discussion about what's better the 360 or the PS3 is like have a discussion about which band is better The Beatles or The Rolling Stones. Both are fun but it does come down to person taste.

If I had to give up my consoles and stick with only one I would stay with the PS3. That's not saying it's better, it's just what I prefer and I can accept its short comings. You wont be disappointed with it if you decide to buy one .. hell I'll even tell you pick up MOVE .. it's pretty fun but there's not much for it right now.

One big thing about the PS3 that I forgot to mention is that if and when the console breaks (things break .. it happens), and you decide to send it into Sony to get fixed your harddrive will be wiped clean and you lose EVERYTHING on it. Sony does allow you to redownload everything for free but it sucks doing that. I don't care about gamer scores or trophies and I do enjoy replaying games so it didn't bother me when it happened. Starting fresh on some games was actually kinda fun. If you pick one see if you have an external drive and back it up (Sony suggests doing that) and it's easy to swap out drive for regular laptop drives that you can buy at either NewEgg or OWC. JUST KEEP THAT IN MIND!!

Tell you what .. I don't want to start a flame war here guys .. okay .. we'll call it a truce for now this is just an experiment. I don't have any new games for my PS3 but I do have a used copy of Uncharted 2. I did play the game once so I'll go and see if the game saves are still there and delete them along with cache for the game. I load it up and time how long the instal is, just to see since I'm sort of curious too.

Downloading a movie from the PSN didn't seem too bad but if you get a Hi Def version .. holy crap be prepared to wait .. as in .. I feel like watching this tonight better start the download before I go to work in the morning and hopeful it will be ready in the early evening. Great quality but boy did it take a long time.

Oh and don't forget to get all your cord from monoprice.com .. I think my HDMI cable cost about $7 dollars.

Feel free to ask me any questions about it .. I am a fan boy but I'll answer them truthfully. I wish I would have done this before I bought my Wii since I do regret picking that thing up.

I use Wii Fit so it's more of a high priced scale .. Tam uses Wii Fit too but honestly all she does is step and we could have bought an actual step thing from Target for $10 bucks. When I first had the Wii I loved .. hell I even waited outside the Nintendo store in Manhattan for 1.5 hours just to get one .. now it does nothing.

Wii sometimes play Wii Bowling and I still like it but that's about it. If Sony would make a good arcade bowling game for the Move that will be the final nail in the coffin for my Wii.

  • Author

I have come to a decision! After much thought.........

Drum roll..............

no60gbps3.jpg

Buzzzzzz......It did not make the cut this time. I really wanted it but decided in the end that getting it just for the exclusives was not worth it just yet. The exclusives is all it has too offer me when I think about it. The library of games is 90% there between it and Xbox. Blu Ray sounds cool but it just was not enough to tip the scale. That and some of the short comings I am hearing not just from this thread but other friends and places are saying the same things.

These things added up makes it a bit expensive compared to what I already have at home. I am still open to getting one some day but I will wait 6 months to a year and see where things are at then.

Much thanks to all who posted in this thread. You helped me reach a sensible decision. I shall hang on to my money.

Vec

Sorry I missed this thread. I got one with my American Express points last year. I played it for the first month or so and that's it. I hate to admit this but the achievement thing usually decides what version I end up getting. I like the achievements on the 360 and the PS3 just falls short here. Trophys are just not the same. My PS3 has sat collecting dust for a long time. All the loading stuff is true as well. I'm no achievement whore. Ask anyone on these boards or just look up my games played list. It makes a big difference for some reason. :ashamed:

Happy to help out. Don't completely write off the system but it is a good idea to wait a bit, since some great PS3 exclusives are coming up in the next couple months (Killzone3/LittleBigPlanet 2). You might want to check Amazon or Ebay for a used or refurbished one if and when you're ready to buy.

  • Author

Happy to help out. Don't completely write off the system but it is a good idea to wait a bit, since some great PS3 exclusives are coming up in the next couple months (Killzone3/LittleBigPlanet 2). You might want to check Amazon or Ebay for a used or refurbished one if and when you're ready to buy.

Thanks Super Kev. Yeah I will get one eventually but now is not the time I think. I'm going to wait it out for a bit and see what happens with the system and exclusives. Heck if I had alot of extra money and it was not a big deal I would have all the systems and a crazy good PC just for gaming haha. I much appreciate all your input though.

  • 1 month later...

The 360 doesn't need one. It's rare to find an update for a 360 game, that's over 4MB's. You also don't need to install each 360 game. I only install the ones I play the most, to prevent wear and tear on my DVD drive. Which is why it pains me when I see people watching DVD movies on their 360's. Buy a $30 DVD player! lol

I think I'm one of the only people that still uses or ever even bought the HD-DVD add-on. Works really well and it upconverts my DVD's.

I'd say buy it, there are plenty of triple A titles exclusive to that console.

There seems to be alot of people with a disdain for Sony and to a degree thats understandable, but everyone needs to remember that these companies, both Sony and Microsoft's bottom line, is there "bottom line". They don't care about you outside of what, in a monetary sence you bring to the table. It's like the consumer is paying the companies to go out and market for them, it's *** backward.

That said, I'm tired of hearing Sony fanboys talk about the graphical superiority of a system that has very little the Xbox can't or hasn't already done. Or being told that Blu-ray is the superior optical media, when outside of some compression issues that plague a very small % of cross platform 360 games, the games traditionally look, sound and play better on the Xbox console.

I own both and with a definite amount of certainty, I can say that both consoles are great, but both aren't without flaw. 360 had and still has a completely unacceptable amount of hardware failures, DVD space limitations while not a huge issue, it's still a problem for a number of developers and in 2011 having to change disc on some games every 20 to 30 hours (while not a big problem) it's just silly, Xbox live is a great service, certainly better than PSN and I believe it constitutes a subscription fee, but every single piece of content having a dollar value is BULLSHIT! PS3 online service has a ton of catching up to do, even there premium service needs to be refined, cross platform game while much, much better now still leave alot to be desired, 3rd party developers need to stop bragging *** and write some decent code, Sony need to stop touting the PS3 as the "it does everything console" because it doesn't, like Grang Thift Auto, it does alot of like only moderately well.

And both have gimmicky complete useless peripherals, Sony and Microsoft both with the Move and Kinect. There junk, it's a bullshit marketing ploy to move in on Nintendo's younger demographic, it won't work. But, in the end Microsoft is really the more guilty of the two, because they refuse to integrate Kenect in to there games, instead mandating the sensor be used only in Kinect games were as Sony, has made using Move optional in some of there bigger exclusives.

They're both great, they're both bad, they both have some of the dumbest people in there marketing departments that have a huge disconnect from there core audience and both consoles are better that the Wii. Buy both and play the games you like.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.