April 8, 201016 yr comment_2143 I'm in a sociology class this semester that's primary focus is HIV/AIDS and other modern plagues.The class is beyond fascinating, and so far has been a real eye opener. It's obviously, a very emotionally charged class as well.Today we had a very heated discussion about a topic my Professor brought up, I am going to ask the question of you all and see what you all think.If a person who is HIV/AIDS positive KNOWINGLY infects another person in CONSENSUAL sex (i.e they lied about their status) should they be prosecuted because of it?I'm curious to see if the general idea and response to this question is the same, or if it varies. Report
April 8, 201016 yr comment_2149 I guess I can toss my two cents in... If person A knows that they have AIDS, and person B does not know that before engaging in the sexual act, then I do believe they should be prosecuted. Over here (In NY, not sure about other places) I know that if you knowingly infect someone with AIDS, it is considered 2nd degree murder (I think, not sure what type it's considered). If I were in that situation, I certainly would like to see that person prosecuted, because they basically ruined my life with a deadly disease. Granted, if you have unprotected sex, then it kind of is your own fault for not taking care of yourself. Regardless, I think that there should be some precautions taken if a person knows they have AIDS as well as punishments for not doing so. Report
April 8, 201016 yr comment_2150 Depends I suppose. It's not the death sentence it once was thought to be.I see the capitalized "consensual", though. So I'm going to take that to mean, that everyone should pretend the other has something regardless, and latex up. So, if it's consensual, you should be the responsible person and protect yourself. Never take anyone at their word, because people lie. Your health and your sexual organs, are you and your responsibility, only. Report
April 8, 201016 yr comment_2156 If the person that doesn't have it doesn't know the other person does then yes they should be prosecuted. Report
April 8, 201016 yr comment_2162 But why?What would you charge them with?Murder?Pokey with the death stick. Report
April 8, 201016 yr comment_2163 But why?What would you charge them with?Murder?Basically. If you knowingly infect someone with a deadly disease, without their knowledge, then you are killing them, in a sense. And saying it's the other person's fault for not using protection is like saying the guy you shot should have been wearing body armor, or in your case, the guy whose nipples you kicked off should have been wearing nipple armor. Report
April 8, 201016 yr comment_2169 But why?What would you charge them with?Murder?I would charge them with murder, yes. They've effectively killed the person they infected even though the death may not be instant. Report
April 8, 201016 yr Author comment_2170 While, yes, they are signing their death certificate, it's the person who consents responsibility to be aware of their risks. Report
April 8, 201016 yr comment_2176 http://news.bbc.co.u...don/3190626.stmIf that was in '03, I wonder how many people have been prosecuted since. Report
April 8, 201016 yr comment_2177 Yes, it is the responsibility of BOTH partners to give full disclosure of any STDs they may have, not just HIV/AIDS. However, by law if you knowingly engage in sexual relations, you have an STD, and do not disclose this to your partner, you are charged with a felony. In most places, it is a Class D felony which carries a sentence of 3 to 7 years in prison. If there are MULTIPLE partners this has been done to/with, it is bumped to a Class C felony which is a 4 to 8 years I believe. No matter your opinion, the law is the law and it is our responsibility to know and abide by these laws. End of story.Most people get in the heat of the moment and just don't want to take the time to stop and have that type of conversation, which is sad if you think about it. This is also one of the main reasons these diseases spread so quickly and easily. Report
April 8, 201016 yr comment_2181 If the person that doesn't have it doesn't know the other person does then yes they should be prosecuted.I agree with GG. Short and to the point. Make them burn for their actions. Report
April 8, 201016 yr comment_2182 While, yes, they are signing their death certificate, it's the person who consents responsibility to be aware of their risks.OKay, so let's say a lady goes on a date with a serial killer it is her job to know he is a serial killer? The person can lie. Same with someone with aids can lie. And let's face facts more then half of us here never asked a sexual partner to get tested or asked if they have anything. It's not the persons fault if they don't know. It is however the fault of the person who does know. Report
April 8, 201016 yr comment_2185 If that was in '03, I wonder how many people have been prosecuted since.Because there's no specific charge for infection with AIDS/HIV getting statistics might be difficult unless the Home Office publishes them. Report
April 8, 201016 yr comment_2186 I would definitely ask GG to be tested before I ravaged him.He's all good man. I made sure of that . . . In more ways than one. Report
April 8, 201016 yr comment_2193 HIV/Aids is a touchy subject for me, my Grandfather got Aids in the 80's because he was a hemopheliac and he took medicine that contained blood from donors to help clot his own blood. Report
April 8, 201016 yr comment_2221 if i started dating a guy and he KNEW he had hiv/aids and i didn't know and we slept together the sex would be consensual but without giving me previous knowledge negates the 'consensual'. he should be held legally liable for attempted/homicide.just my opinion. Report
April 8, 201016 yr comment_2230 Pro tip: Even if they pass an HIV test, you should still wear protection. Herpes is a permanent "gift". Treat your genitalia like most of you treat your computers. Report
April 8, 201016 yr comment_2231 Pro tip: Even if they pass an HIV test, you should still wear protection. Herpes is a permanent "gift". Treat your genitalia like most of you treat your computers.Smaking it around like it tried to break into my house? .. No PK I'm a little nicer to my computer. Report
April 8, 201016 yr comment_2233 if i started dating a guy and he KNEW he had hiv/aids and i didn't know and we slept together the sex would be consensual but without giving me previous knowledge negates the 'consensual'. he should be held legally liable for attempted/homicide.just my opinion.I approve this post. Perfect example E. Report
April 8, 201016 yr comment_2268 While I agree it isn't the death sentence it once was, try telling that to a woman who planned on having children before being infected. It can have a huge effect on someones life Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.