Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gamercide

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Welcome back to Gamercide!

*CONFIRMED* Microsoft says a big I LOVE YOU to "used games"

Featured Replies

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/05/xbox-one-analysis/

 

Always Online?

There’s one feature of Xbox One from which we can infer quite a few conclusions: You can install any game from the disc to the console’s hard drive, and then play that game whenever you like without having to put the disc in.

Wired asked Microsoft if installation would be mandatory. “On the new Xbox, all game discs are installed to the HDD to play,” the company responded in an emailed statement. Sounds mandatory to us.

What follows naturally from this is that each disc would have to be tied to a unique Xbox Live account, else you could take a single disc and pass it between everyone you know and copy the game over and over. Since this is clearly not going to happen, each disc must then only install for a single owner.

Microsoft did say that if a disc was used with a second account, that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc.

But what if a second person simply wanted to put the disc in and play the game without installing – and without paying extra? In other words, what happens to our traditional concept of a “used game”? This is a question for which Microsoft did not yet have an answer, and is surely something that game buyers (as well as renters and lenders) will want to know.

  • Replies 138
  • Views 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author

So if you have to pick a console, seems like PS4 is the way to go for games this gen.

 

 

For games it seems, yes.  To me I think this is why MS decided to do their big reveal here in the US market (their strongest market) instead of Japan (where they fail pretty hard console wise).  MS has been focused on "multimedia" for years now, and this direction shows it VERY strongly. 

 

In Japan they want games.  Sony is going to kill it this gen I think. 

Really do have to wonder what this thing will be like outside of the US, since a good portion of that stuff was pretty US centric.

  • Author

Really do have to wonder what this thing will be like outside of the US, since a good portion of that stuff was pretty US centric.

 

Who knows, but as I said, the US is absolutely 100% the 360's strongest market.  We're a nation of media intensive whores and I think they see that. 

I wish I could play the Playstation comfortably but I can't.  It's that damn controller design.  My small womanly hands and those damn analogs and triggers do not get along at all.  Jason and I will probably end up getting both like we did with the 360 and PS3.  Well now we have one PS3 and 4 360's in the house.

Si. I have the Arkham city PS3 cont. Its the same as a 360. Im with you on the dislike of Sonys tiny knobs

  • Author

So your really screwed if you buy used games and dont have the net

 

Exactly.  And what is the purpose of like 99% of what they actually showed unless you physically connect the system to your... wait for it.... ACTIVE CONNECTION (cable/internet)

Way to screw the little guy MS. I dont have home net. Have my phone. I'll be damned im shellin out $100 a month for net

  • Author

Sony's stock right now:

 

Sony Corporation (ADR)
NYSE: SNE - May 21 3:52pm ET

22.89+1.92‎ (9.16%‎)

 

 

 

Microsoft's stock right now:

 

Microsoft Corporation
NASDAQ: MSFT - May 21 3:52pm ET

34.80-0.28 (-0.80%)

 

 

 

 

 

So MS is down, and Sony is up almost 10%? 

 

44950-Dis-gon-b-gud--this-is-gonna-b-28w

I would not buy this console with the news I have now. E3 could clear some things up? They showed us nothing! I don't need a set top box to run my TV. I don't even subscribe to cable. I am sure they will use this to monitor TV habits as well. That data could make them some money for sure.

 

It is not always on-line per se but kinda. Mandatory installs and not supporting used games. So each disc is tied to a profile making it worthless. Xbox has screwed up my Live purchases before. Stuff like songs for Rockband I bought that stopped working. I just don't trust 100% in the cloud with M$ just yet. Plus they are in some deal with EA. Get ready to get nickel and dimed for everything. Fee for this fee for that.

 

Top it off that the new console looks like a VCR from the 80s lol. Not impressed.

Aren't you glad you're building a beefy gaming PC, Vec? That's all this reveal did for me -- Let me know I made the correct choice in gaming.

 

Damn straight! I felt happy knowing that I don't have to deal with this since I am getting my PC going soon. They gave me no reasons to want an Xbox ONE. If that is the future in console gaming count me out. Cost of console, cost of live, no used games, games saves in cloud, integration with cable, the list goes on..... Can you even access your games saves now unless you have gold? Just way too many questionale things at this point.

 

edited

Update [4:50pm]: Wired has updated its original feature noting that Microsoft contacted them to clarify a plan is in place for used games, but did not detail it. One of Microsoft's official Xbox Support twitter accounts says there are in fact "no fees" associated with used games and the Wired feature is incorrect. Wired's updated article still makes mention of a fee. Joystiq is at the Microsoft event and will attempt to clear the confusion.

Well from all I have read.... I'm probably gona be turning out to Ps4*should I ever get one* and PC.

 

 

Only game I'm actually looking forward to is Destiny and it's a multi-console titile.... 

Halo is a big "MEH" if they continue down the road H4 took.

http://www.destructoid.com/microsoft-xbox-one-will-need-to-go-online-eventually-254231.phtml

"Xbox One games will come with a unique redeemable code which will require Internet access to activate and as part of this setup, the software you purchase will be installed from the disc to your system's hard drive."

So the Xbox One is now officially a PC with limited features,some behind a paywall,(unless it's been stated that Xbox Live is free now which I greatly doubt), and can't be upgraded. Great Job Microsoft.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.