May 8, 201313 yr comment_75907 Who's that guy in the blue shirt?Yep, I'm learning Shou Shu Kung Fu at the Sheng Chi Center in Valley Springs. They didn't have the full gis in yet, but this was my first day. All of the lessons are shown online. For self defense, exercise, and the sheer fun of learning it. I like it so far. Two days a week, Tuesdays and Thursdays, plus a cardio/tai chi/yoga thing on Wednesdays. Report
May 8, 201313 yr comment_75908 Much better activity than rubbing your penis on your keyboard for an hour while talking to us. I've watched Fist of Legend at least 50 times, I'm pretty confident in my Kung fu. Report
May 8, 201313 yr comment_75926 Thats cool, I just signed up for a TRX class that is going to kick my butt. Report
May 9, 201313 yr comment_75992 Continue wearing that shirt so you're identifiable! lol. This is really cool. Report
May 10, 201313 yr comment_76038 this is pretty cool kevin. when you get good i'll fight you and we can stream it on gamercide. Report
May 10, 201313 yr Author comment_76040 this is pretty cool kevin. when you get good i'll fight you and we can stream it on gamercide. Deal, it'll be like Jason Statham versus Jet Li, I'm sure lol. Second day of the actual Kung Fu, starting to actually feel it a bit now because we were doing strikes and blocks and hitting the sides of the arms. They record the Tuesday and Thursday sessions, all of them show up here a few hours after we finish. http://www.youtube.com/shengchifoundation Report
May 10, 201313 yr comment_76045 Thats awesome man! I'm sure real fighting techniques beat my Halo skills any day of the week. Report
May 29, 201313 yr Author comment_76851 Today's lesson was pretty fun, learning to do rear kicks. Some of it is a little awkward, but all of these moves are new to me, so it's a learning process. Supposedly the shipment of gis and belts should be in on Thursday, so I'll finally have my full outfit and white belt (training). I'm really liking the class so far, and have paid for the next three months so I can keep going in it. Report
June 5, 201313 yr Author comment_77013 Finally got the full outfit (on my birthday, nice), so this was my first lesson in full gi and belt. I'm on the right side of the screen on the closer mat in the white belt. Report
June 6, 201313 yr Author comment_77047 Here are a couple pics of me in the gi, then a few pics where I was just having fun with the outfit. Report
June 24, 201313 yr Author comment_77662 The classes are still going well. Although... looking at the move sets to be learned, it looks like "Bear Hug Escape From Behind" and "Bear Hug Escape From the Front" are the next couple moves to be learned. Really out of my comfort zone. But then again, that's one of the things I thought this would be good for. Getting me out of some of my personal space issues (having aspergers and ADHD and all, not as socially adapted as some). Maybe it won't be too horrible if I learn the technique with a female partner when we pair up? Report
June 24, 201313 yr comment_77674 So, train yourself to instinctively repel anyone who bear hugs you? Lol. Seriously though, glad it's going well. Getting out of your comfort zone now and then never hurts. Report
August 2, 201313 yr Author comment_79001 First upgrade, now I've got some color on my belt; a yellow stripe. I got it for showing that I'd learned all of the Yellow B techniques. Subsequently I'll get two stripes after a review of what I've learned after Yellow C, then show that I've learned all of the material from Yellow A, B, and C (all yellow techniques) to earn the full yellow belt. At the moment, they gave me a small sized belt symbolically, as they don't have the right sizes in at the moment, but I'll get a proper sized one when they come in. Report
August 2, 201313 yr Author comment_79009 I started on May 7th, so it took just under three months of lessons for the first set, but this is just the basics. Further techniques like Orange will almost certainly take longer, and I won't be as likely to get them down satisfactorily as soon as I've learned them all to demonstrate for the belt upgrade (or stripe). Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.