March 7, 201313 yr comment_72484 I think Mrs B nailed it about indies, kickstarters, and the rest. As for Dragon Ages and Mass Effects, well, is that what we really want? Churned out IPs? They are good games, but good games can be made without all this BS. Aside from that, we have entered the world of digital distribution. These power house publishers should not hold the power they once did. Sure, it still costs a lot of money to host the content, etc. But I can't believe, with games being such a major money business now, that other investors cannot be found. So yes, it is a war of attrition. If developers get caught in the cross fire then they need to pick the right side. I don't know about you, but I don't continue to support a company or service that treats me like shit. Even if my close friends would be effected by my loss of business. Get off the ship, change its course, or go down with it. Report
March 7, 201313 yr comment_72487 they need to pick the right side.Precisely. May not be easy and it may mean suffering for awhile, but you'll always maintain your integrity and know you did the right thing. I left a well paying job at age 25, solely based on how upper management treated their managers. They were blessed with great management, but still felt the need to belittle or threaten them. It was a poisonous atmosphere and I had to get out fast. Upper management, if left alone to run the place, would have run it into the ground. They only knew the numbers and had no clue how things worked in production or on the line itself. That's how I view EA's relationship with their developers and studios. A grumpy, cigar chomping fatcat bellowing impossible orders to get more numbers to look at. Report
March 7, 201313 yr comment_72517 So on a side note are there any regions set up for us to play together? Report
March 7, 201313 yr comment_72521 I think Nick is the only one here who has got the game to work. Report
March 7, 201313 yr Author comment_72528 I'd be willing to set up a region a few of us can play. You can invite a few of your friends too if you have any that bought the game. I have one who I regularly play with and one who I bought the game for. My Origin ID is YellerBelly. Report
March 7, 201313 yr Author comment_72533 I have been playing on Europe West 2 due to the NA servers being shit. But I'm going to be switching over to one of the NA servers soon. I'll keep you posted when I get in touch with my buddy. Report
March 7, 201313 yr comment_72545 Of course, the irony here is thick. EA and Maxis are shutting downgameplay features in order to make sure that a title doesn’t really*need* to be online, can remain online anyway to keep the DRM componentin place. http://techcrunch.com/2013/03/07/we-built-this-simcity-on-a-shaky-foundation-of-drm/ Also, Amazon has ceased selling digital copies of SimCity. Report
March 7, 201313 yr Author comment_72548 They stopped selling digital copies and they put a warning about the servers for the physical copy. Report
March 7, 201313 yr Author comment_72551 Hey, SolRush. Me and a buddy got into US East 2 and we have a map. We'd love for you to join. Next time you're in game, look on your friends list and if I'm playing you can click me and join! Report
March 8, 201313 yr comment_72562 Polygon has edited their review score two times since their initial review score. It goes as follows 9.5 > 8.0 > 4.0.http://www.polygon.com/game/simcity-2013/2630 I'm glad they did this. EA was asking reviewers to base their scores on gameplay done at their offices, on their reserved, private server. It's not the same experience one would have once they played that same game at home. My belief is, EA didn't want their metacritic score to be tainted at launch. If reviewers followed EA's instructions, that review would be high. If the reviewers had waited to play it at home (they were given codes), that score would surely be much lower. Kudos to Polygon, I say. It may damage their ability to receive swag and invitations from EA in the future, but they can feel good in knowing they did the right thing. Report
March 8, 201313 yr comment_72564 Talk about a landside launch... EA can't just keep treating their customers like crap... Report
March 8, 201313 yr comment_72594 http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/7/4076570/ea-not-offering-simcity-refunds That made my decision to never buy anything on Origin so much simpler. Report
March 8, 201313 yr comment_72595 Petition for an offline modehttp://www.examiner.com/article/simcity-gamers-make-a-petition-to-to-ea-to-create-an-offline-mode Report
March 8, 201313 yr comment_72598 EA suspends SimCity marketing campaigns, asks affiliates to 'stop actively promoting' gamehttp://www.polygon.com/2013/3/8/4079894/ea-suspends-simcity-marketing-campaigns-asks-affiliates-to-stop Report
March 8, 201313 yr comment_72599 Awesome 5 star reviews at Amazon. hahahttp://www.amazon.com/SimCity-Limited-Edition-Pc/product-reviews/B007FTE2VW/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_5?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addFiveStar&showViewpoints=0 Report
March 8, 201313 yr Author comment_72605 Haven't had any problems today, really. Logged right on, my city is going well. Report
March 9, 201313 yr comment_72614 I think the negativity has finally paid off for SimCity players.http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/8/4081678/simcity-creators-offer-update-on-server-issues-promise-free-ea-game Free game in the future. Report
March 9, 201313 yr comment_72627 Who the fuck cares? Oh boy, I get Fifa 2008 and Deer Hunter instead of my $60 back. WHOOOOOOOPIE. EA can blow it out their ass. Report
March 9, 201313 yr comment_72655 So from this I have learned... EA still sucksEA still values their wallets more than the consumerEA support is trying to compete with Comcast for worst customer service everEA really didn't seem to have any recovery plan in place for something like this, also horrible PREA would rather remove game features instead of giving what everyone else wants... No DRMI'm never buying anything directly though Origin (unless it is dirt cheap)Always online DRM is still the stupidest idea to come to game publishers (Ubisoft is also guilty of this)What could have been, and likely still is a great game, has been crippled by DRM that eventually won't stop pirates anywayMy hope for the Sim franchise has been crippledI'm not going to buy any games at release from EAEven if I love the developer, if they partner with EA, they are dead to me (Who they choose to partner with is really their choice anyway, this is exactly what happened to BioWare IMO) Congratz EA! Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.