Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gamercide

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Welcome back to Gamercide!

Xbox 360 Advice

Featured Replies

So, I'm looking into getting a new Xbox 360, especially with taxes rolling in soon...I was wondering if you guys had any advice on which one to get. The best deal for me looks to be the Slim 250 GB for around $300...I was wondering if any of you who have the slim model would vote for or against it. Otherwise, I could get a refurbished or used Elite for a good price most likely.

Also, I'm probably going to only get one game at first, looking for a good one with a lot of replay value, and hopefully one that a lot of you here have. What would you suggest? Halo Reach? Black Ops?

Thanks a lot for any input!

If you ask me, I say go for the 250g slim. I'm a go big or go home kind of guy though. If money is an issue, then go the other route. I've had a slim for a while now. It's quieter, has enough room for installing plenty of games, looks cool and there hasn't been even a hint of any of the issues that have plagued the older models.

As a rule, I avoid any refurbished or used computer related electronics.

If you've the means, buy new. Karen and I are looking to -finally- upgrade to the 360s once we've saved enough. I had my original 360 refurbished by MS once it RROD'ed once and it sounds like a 747 just before take-off. I also would love to have more than 20 gigs of storage on the HD.

So, 299.00 for a new 360s and 250 gig HD. IMHO, yes please!

  • Author

Nah, I wasn't even considering a 4GB. I know that a few downloads and arcade games would probably fill that up instantly.

Also, I probably won't be getting Kinect for a while, if at all, and I know that's one of the major perks to the slim. Also, I believe it has built in Wifi, so it's nice to not have to drop an extra $100 for an adapter on an earlier model.

The 250 slim was the one that originally caught my eye, and I haven't heard any negative things about it yet. Still trying to figure out what game to get with it, lol.

250GB Slim. I wouldn't ever go refurbished console because of the lack of warranty (unless you get the store warranty and I've learned my lesson from the closing/bankruptcy of gamecrazy/hollywood video).

You'll be able to have at least 20 plus games installed on it with plenty of DLC. I have a good amount of games install including Games on Demand and I still have 110 GB left. I would stick to the newer Xbox's anyways as they are much more quiet.

EDIT: As for the game you might want, out of Black Ops and Reach, I would say Reach overall but Black Ops for Zombie's and Dead Ops Arcade.

I cannot stand Black Ops anymore and Reach has improved since it launched. It's a toss up though as to your preference of Call of Duty or Halo.

Also, seeing as you've gotten Unreal Tournament 3, I would look into Gears of War 2 or Bulletstorm (which will allow access to the Gears of War 3 beta in April). There's a demo for it coming out the 25th of this month.

I recently got the 250GB slim, really like it, its alot quiter than the older models, I would recommend it.

  • Author

thanks for the advice, everyone...just picked up my new 360 250GB slim! Also got Black Ops, Halo Reach, and GTA IV. I figured I could miss getting 3 games since games were buy 2 get 1 free. About to go set it up!

Don't even think about the 4GB Slim. It won't even hold all the Borderlands DLC. I may be slightly over exaggerating, though. =]

Also, the 4G slim is a solid state drive, not a "hard drive" so some games *cough*Reach*cough* won't play on it.

Pardon the dbl post.

K and I got a 360 Slim last night. Used the last of our Christmas money and some $$ she had set aside to purchase the console. It is -so- quiet compared to the old white one we had. Also, I like the ability to queue things I previously downloaded from Xbox.com and let it percolate for a while in the background. Only pain in the rear is grabbing the save files and swapping them over to memory stick. I'm not going to drop another $20.00 for the Hard Drive transfer thin-a-ma-jig.

As to what games to get? Personaly I'm a fan of Red Dead Redemption, Lego Star Wars, I've heard a lot of good things about Halo: Reach & Crackdown.

The ability to download trials of the Xbox Arcade games is a bonus too.

I bought one of the Halo Reach Consoles a few months back and its pretty damn quiet. Hell even the old 360's were quiet when they first came out they just got louder over time.

Pardon the dbl post.

K and I got a 360 Slim last night. Used the last of our Christmas money and some $ she had set aside to purchase the console. It is -so- quiet compared to the old white one we had. Also, I like the ability to queue things I previously downloaded from Xbox.com and let it percolate for a while in the background. Only pain in the rear is grabbing the save files and swapping them over to memory stick. I'm not going to drop another $20.00 for the Hard Drive transfer thin-a-ma-jig.

As to what games to get? Personaly I'm a fan of Red Dead Redemption, Lego Star Wars, I've heard a lot of good things about Halo: Reach & Crackdown.

The ability to download trials of the Xbox Arcade games is a bonus too.

Games once again, is always hard. Crackdown is good and what not but you'll be bored soon after. This should tell you something about Crackdown...it went onto Games on Demand in about 6 months, so it's a $20 dollar game basically now unless you buy it on the marketplace. Red Dead Redemption is great so if you like that, Grand Theft Auto IV and all the DLC's from what I've read are great...I'm playing 'The Ballard of Gay Tony' while beating the main storyline in GTA IV.

Halo: Reach is only fun if you have a good of people to play with, solid campaign though.

I would personally get an older Call of Duty (like Modern Warfare 2) and Crackdown 2.

As far as games go Bdub - me, PK, MWB, Spawn, and I think a few others here have Borderlands and have been playing the hell out of it again. It's a co op game, but for me personally, this might be the most replayability in a game I've ever had. Though it's A LOT more fun with friends. That's just me though since I'm not really into multi player fps'.

  • Author

Basically guys, I'm looking for a game to play with YOU GUYS. Halo and Black Ops were pretty much must-haves for me, I like GTA IV and know you guys play that, so I nabbed it as well. My next game will hopefully be one I can play with you guys a lot (I know there aren't as many games going on as before), but that's basically what I'm looking for. Borderlands looked cool, and I believe it's pretty cheap too.

Basically guys, I'm looking for a game to play with YOU GUYS. Halo and Black Ops were pretty much must-haves for me, I like GTA IV and know you guys play that, so I nabbed it as well. My next game will hopefully be one I can play with you guys a lot (I know there aren't as many games going on as before), but that's basically what I'm looking for. Borderlands looked cool, and I believe it's pretty cheap too.

I would look into Borderlands or Reach then.

Negatives about Borderlands = you can easily get hacked weapons and use them at level 1 that kill everything in basically one hit until you get into the higher levels than it's still almost 1 hit...depending on the monster.

I would go Reach.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.