May 10, 201313 yr comment_76033 I'm in the market for a new graphics card for my pc. I currently have 2 GTX 460s and I would like to get rid of the SLI setup and go for a single super-powerful gpu. Not looking for a titan, but maybe the next best thing. About to get my bonus from work so I could probably have a max of maybe $500-$600 tops. Around $300 would probably be preferred though. Currently looking at the GTX 680, but would like to hear what the other options are. (Looking at you Dat. lol) Report
May 10, 201313 yr comment_76047 If you don't mind Radeon cards, the Radeon 7970 is probably the better card. The regular edition is cheaper than the 680 by about $60 and performs a hair better. The Ghz edition is the same price and performs better pretty much across the board. Report
May 10, 201313 yr Author comment_76056 Have AMD graphics in my laptop, but have never had a desktop card before. Have always been skeptical when hearing about driver issues and heat problems and the reviews I have read seem to confirm that:http://url.skylark95.com/7970ghz Limited lifetime warranty, specs, and 3 free games for only $420 is damn tempting on this card. Heat and driver issues are what I am concerned about:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150632 So yeah, I could probably switch if convened. Just never had much experience with AMD cards... Report
May 10, 201313 yr Author comment_76057 Here is a list of what I have been keeping my eye on... http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=19741571 Report
May 11, 201313 yr comment_76058 ~$100 in Free games, 100 bucks cheaper, and better performance? I say go for the Radeon. I've used them, and I don't hate them. They have some issues in special circumstances, but if you are hooking them to a monitor for gaming they are fine. I am biased towards Nvidia, but at that price range they just don't have anything to offer at the moment. Report
May 11, 201313 yr Author comment_76068 $400 and $100 bucks and free games is a damn good bargain. Any reasons not to go with XFX? Not very familiar with them other than they are known for lifetime limited warranties on their cards. Report
May 11, 201313 yr Author comment_76069 Really thinking about the Sapphire Vapor-X over the XFX. Looking at reviews across the web the Sapphire seems to be one of the best cards right now for the GHZ edition. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202001 Report
May 11, 201313 yr comment_76070 Usually, the differences when it comes to brands are minimal. Cooling solution, noise, and overclocking are the main differences. Oh, and warranty. Report
May 11, 201313 yr Author comment_76071 And SOLD! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125439 Thanks for the help. Report
May 11, 201313 yr comment_76072 Anytime. You will have to let me know what you think about it when you get it. Run the Bioshock Benchmark. Report
May 11, 201313 yr Author comment_76073 Will Do. Shopping around for an adapter for the secondary monitor. Report
May 11, 201313 yr Author comment_76075 Only con with the card was there was only one DVI port. Needed to get an active mini displayport to dvi connector Report
May 11, 201313 yr Author comment_76088 Yeah, I know I can get a hdmi adapter for at least 10 less, but I had found a adapter that came with a free cable. Also leaves the hdmi available for my tv off need be. Report
May 11, 201313 yr Author comment_76091 Nevermind... got a promo code in an email to get this 30% off... HDMI to DVI it is! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812816008 Report
May 11, 201313 yr Author comment_76099 Probably end of the week. I opted for free shipping as the next level up was about $10. It will give me more time to get my Android app out of beta status before it arrives. Report
May 12, 201313 yr comment_76102 I just purchased a 660ti sc for my lan box at $280 from micro center. Excellent bang-for-the-buck card imo. Don't forget, the 700 series cards drop mid-may Report
May 13, 201313 yr Author comment_76117 Shipped this morning... wait is going to kill me. lol Hoping to get it in by Saturday at the latest. Report
May 13, 201313 yr comment_76121 Always the worst part. I'm waiting for a HD now. At least it's not an RMA and you have a working computer. Report
May 13, 201313 yr Author comment_76135 So I guess free shipping = 3 day shipping. Tracking shows it will be here by Wednesday. And as far as RMA goes, if the cats would ever go bad in the time I have it I'll keep at least one of my 460's handy. Shouldn't happen but safe to be ready in case Report
May 13, 201313 yr comment_76144 If its not DOA it'll likely outlive its usefulness. You could leave a 460 in there for Physx. Report
May 14, 201313 yr Author comment_76158 If its not DOA it'll likely outlive its usefulness. You could leave a 460 in there for Physx. Did not know that would even be possible.... Report
May 14, 201313 yr comment_76166 Yep. It's a decent card for it too. Not too weak and not so powerful as to use too much power to be worth it. Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.