June 15, 201115 yr comment_39077 Redner was fine with bad review scores, and opinions of the game. What he was against, was people talking shit about the game, when they didn't need to. They give these sites review copy, so I feel it's his right to decide to pull their names if they want to review games that way. Go on ahead if you want to speak like that, just not with our supplied games. Go out and rent it, or buy it. Simple enough, one would think. I guess it wasn't, though. Only game reviewers get to speak their minds. Regardless of tact or couth. Report
June 15, 201115 yr comment_39096 It's official. 2K did fire the Redner Group. 2K Games does not endorse or condone the comments made by @TheRednerGroup and confirm they no longer represent our products.We maintain a mutually respectful relationship with the press and will continue to do so. We don't condone @TheRednerGroup's actions at all.Cowards. He just said what they felt themselves. Had to be PC about it, though. Even though their product wasn't shown the same respect. Report
June 15, 201115 yr comment_39105 Wow, this entire thing is a mess. I can't believe they fired the guy. He was right in what he had to say. I can't stand when review sites bash games to the point no one wants to try them. A few big names overly bash something and it snow balls. Next thing you know people are talking absolute shit about a game they've never played. I'll be honest, I've been burned following review scores so much that I tend to ignore them outright now. Not to mention bad reviews and scores from people who just suck at a game. It's pretty much impossible to unbiasedly review something, but you can at least keep it professional. Report
June 16, 201115 yr comment_39127 Well, thankfully, without those jackasses help... Duke is on par to sell 1.5-2 million sales. So.... EAT IT BITCHES. lol Report
June 16, 201115 yr comment_39133 If it sells over a million, I'll eat my hat.Well, I'll go buy a hat, then eat it. Report
June 16, 201115 yr comment_39134 If it sells over a million, I'll eat my hat.Well, I'll go buy a hat, then eat it.http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/35257/Analyst_Duke_Nukem_Forever_Expected_To_Sell_Over_15M.phpSome estimates say 2 million. Report
June 16, 201115 yr comment_39138 I'm still trying to get past that this is a thing you can buy from a store. But really, I just can't possibly see it doing that good, no matter how good or bad it is either way. It's just such a bizarre thing to sell. Report
June 16, 201115 yr comment_39139 Fair enough. I still think you should keep an eye out for a tasty hat. =] Report
June 17, 201115 yr comment_39183 Might I suggest a licorice hat?https://twitter.com/#!/DuvalMagic/status/81509576322727937 Report
June 17, 201115 yr comment_39224 Always bet on Dukehttp://www.gearboxity.com/content/view/664/33/ Report
June 20, 201115 yr comment_39291 I can't say I'm surprised that after a decade delay and 3 developers this is a critical bomb. But, I'm certain its going to break all kinds of sales records for Gearbox. The best way to support this game though, is to completely bypass the review sites and buy the game if you feel its a justified purchase. Hype is a funny thing and in this case it fell flat and Duke probably won't see another release because of it. Content wise, I've always felt like Duke was bad for the industry as a whole anyways. Its always going to be harder for games to progress past novelty than other forms of media and considered art, when you have the equivalent of a National Lampoon's movie as one of the industries top titles. Report
June 20, 201115 yr comment_39292 Always bet on Dukehttp://www.gearboxity.com/content/view/664/33/Awesome Report
June 20, 201115 yr comment_39293 I can't say I'm surprised that after a decade delay and 3 developers this is a critical bomb. But, I'm certain its going to break all kinds of sales records for Gearbox. The best way to support this game though, is to completely bypass the review sites and buy the game if you feel its a justified purchase. Hype is a funny thing and in this case it fell flat and Duke probably won't see another release because of it. Content wise, I've always felt like Duke was bad for the industry as a whole anyways. Its always going to be harder for games to progress past novelty than other forms of media and considered art, when you have the equivalent of a National Lampoon's movie as one of the industries top titles.I don't think it hurts it. Just as all movies aren't art, all games need not strive for that goal. Some things are just meant to be entertaining and everything else be damned. Report
June 20, 201115 yr comment_39294 Yeah, there's enough room for campy, artistic and all things between.This game uses jump pads, though. What is this, 1995? *snicker* Report
June 20, 201115 yr comment_39316 Redner gives his side of the story!http://m.wired.com/epicenter/2011/06/duke-nukem-twitter-brain-fart/ Report
June 20, 201115 yr comment_39318 It is my opinion that when someone exceeds their journalistic integrity and publishes a scathing, derogatory uncalled for review; I have the right to question it. Integrity isn’t a badge that can be waved around to suit your situation. It is a lifestyle. If you ask for a copy of the game for review, you have an ethical duty to provide a fair review of the game. You do not have to like the game. You do not have to publish a glowing review. However, you must be fair and accurate. You owe it to your audience, yourself and the video game community.Truth Report
June 21, 201115 yr comment_39324 It's sad to hear the game isn't getting as high reviews as was expected. On the subject of this whole Redner Group controversy though, I can't blame him for getting flustered over mean-spiritedness. Whenever I criticize something I generally try to keep what I'm saying clean and hate-free, because there really is nothing to gain from hurting anyone's feelings.As for the game, I'm not hugely interested in it personally, and I dunno how good/bad it is. I am thinking of trying Duke Nukem 3D some day though. Report
June 21, 201115 yr comment_39326 That was a great read. I'm glad he got his side of things out there. Report
June 21, 201115 yr comment_39334 there really is nothing to gain from hurting anyone's feelings.Agreed. I also am glad Jim Redner brought up integrity in his guest column. Integrity is sadly lacking in video game journalism right now. Catering to your 4chan-esque fanbase seems to be more important. Report
August 21, 201115 yr comment_42861 So, to drum up an old post. I finally got around to playing this and beat it just today. I enjoyed the game. It wasn't a modern FPS by any means, but I felt that was the point. It felt like the old days and I thoroughly enjoyed it. There were some moments where I became a little annoyed with the game, but it in no way deserves the 54 it's holding on MetaCritic for the PC version right now. Those types of ratings are in the unplayable and buggy range, which this game is no where near. If you haven't played it then pick it up and give it a shot. If you enjoyed the original Duke you'll enjoy this game as well. Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.