June 15, 201115 yr comment_39044 I am not a big Gamespot fan but I only post this because I am blow away by what they gave it.http://www.gamespot....topslot;thumb;1Yikes! Anyone still picking this up anyways? I mean I don't always believe the reviews but I have not seen one that low for a big anticipated title for awhile.Vec Report
June 15, 201115 yr comment_39045 Dtard and Giantbomb tanked it, too. Do not go on what they say, though. Like the Giantbomb guys ragged on Duke for using jump pads, saying "what is this, 1995?". They forgot though, that they rated Portal 2, 5/5 stars and that they too used jump pads.Ask people who have played it. I've watched three different broadcasters play it, and they all liked it. They didn't say it was groundbreaking or anything, but they had fun and enjoyed their experiences. Report
June 15, 201115 yr comment_39046 IGN gave it crap, but everything I have seen makes it appear pretty fun.A lot of gaming reviews site are probably too busy looking for another Call of Duty to give the game the attention it deserves. Report
June 15, 201115 yr Author comment_39047 Dtard and Giantbomb tanked it, too. Do not go on what they say, though. Like the Giantbomb guys ragged on Duke for using jump pads, saying "what is this, 1995?". They forgot though, that they rated Portal 2, 5/5 stars and that they too used jump pads.Ask people who have played it. I've watched three different broadcasters play it, and they all liked it. They didn't say it was groundbreaking or anything, but they had fun and enjoyed their experiences.No doubt. I don't go by these reviews too much on anything. For me if the users are saying pretty good things I will get a game. Your right though it really only matters if you like it or not. I have played games that supposedly tanked only to love them. Report
June 15, 201115 yr Author comment_39049 IGN gave it crap, but everything I have seen makes it appear pretty fun.A lot of gaming reviews site are probably too busy looking for another Call of Duty to give the game the attention it deserves. Yeah, year after year gamespot in particular awards high scores to the yearly same old playing Call of Duty games haha. Hard to believe them on anything. Report
June 15, 201115 yr Author comment_39051 Case in point:This user loves the game:http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/duke-nukem-forever/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-59448500&pid=944794&tag=topics%3Btitle Report
June 15, 201115 yr comment_39052 It's a travesty. GiantBomb loaded up multiplayer and Jeff Gerstmann says "Yup, looks like a rooftop level". It was a map constructed to look like the first level in Duke Nukem 3D. Makes me wonder if they ever played it. Report
June 15, 201115 yr comment_39055 I've been playing it, and I honestly for the life of me, can't figure out why this game is getting so much ****. The game is good, I mean sure, it has it's problems and the game won't please everyone, but its still fun. People act all shocked that the humor is crude and offensive, lol. Its Duke Nukem, I'm not sure what they expected...Bottom line, I personally think the game is good, and if you like the character at all, please go play it. It's very fun, and reminds me a lot of Duke3D. In my honest opinion, the hate its getting is extremely unwarranted. The sad thing is, I've been discussing the game with a few other people on certain forums, and they come straight off with "It sucks" without having even played it, thanks to some of these big name review sites that they will blindly believe, and not even try to form their own opinion.Everyone is entitled to their opinion and what they want to believe though, so whatever floats their boats. At least I'm enjoying it. Report
June 15, 201115 yr comment_39056 It's a travesty. GiantBomb loaded up multiplayer and Jeff Gerstmann says "Yup, looks like a rooftop level". It was a map constructed to look like the first level in Duke Nukem 3D. Makes me wonder if they ever played it.They did, a while back, maybe a year ago or so they did the XBLA version of Duke 3D as there weekly thursday night thing, and they even had Randy Pitchford on the phone for a bit and I believe the Voice actor also, and they knew their **** from the sounds of it. Also, just actually watched the quicklook an hour ago and both Jeff and Ryan were commenting on whether that map was remake from the loading screen.Anyway, personally I thought the single player stuff looked okay, multiplayer didn't look like something I would bother with(though I'm just kinda done with multiplayer in general right now).Also, this game specifically I would imagine is an incredibly awkward one to review, knowing the history and all, but then still having it in the context that it's a game that's out now and other games in the same genre are stuff like Halo and CoD. Also just want to point out, i'm the last person to care about review scores, I played freaking Vampire Rain recently! lol. Report
June 15, 201115 yr comment_39057 I still question if they ever played it, simply because they couldn't do the simplest of shit in the new one. Not even kidding. That elevator level - everyone I saw play the game (3 people), all did it on their first try. During the Quick Look, he had already beaten the game and gotten past that part. However, he STILL fails two times in a row and rage quits. He also falls off a cliff, looking for where to go, when there's a path clearly to his right. If you've played Duke Nukem 3D, you know what to do in this game. Fact is, GB hated DNF before they even tossed in the disc.P.S. Also, their fans are sheep. Report
June 15, 201115 yr comment_39058 Anyways, hopefully they won't be getting any further review copy from Redner PR. They handle a lot of 2K stuff.https://twitter.com/#!/TheRednerGroup/status/80834594424897536And GiantBomb is guilty of this. There's an almost infinite way to convey you don't like something, without having to resort to things like this - http://i.imgur.com/TkNbr.pngHope Dtard gets blacklisted, too. Report
June 15, 201115 yr comment_39061 Looks like Redner got some flak for saying that. They just apologised, I think. This twitter thing. bah! Report
June 15, 201115 yr comment_39062 Not just flak, 2K dropped them it looks like. Shame, too. He was right. If you read all the things he said, he is absolutely correct. There's no reason to trash a game when reviewing it. Just state that you felt it was bad. List the things you didn't like and move on. There was absolute hatred coming out of some of these reviews. Hate for a video game, that grown up people couldn't write professionally about.Now he'll bare the cross, for speaking his own mind. Something that he did without using one curse word. Something that many of these sites couldn't do. It was pure opinion and no trash talk.What's worse is, you have these big sites now, rallying around each other. That's why he's probably being canned. They demand that they be able to voice their opinion and freedom to say it. However, at the end of the day, a person may have been fired for speaking his own. All over a video game.A video game. Way to go gaming industry. Way to go. Report
June 15, 201115 yr comment_39063 This entire Duke fiasco is the most frustrating thing I've ever seen from the game industry. I've been playing it and there was no need to bash it as bad as anyone did. What have publishers learned from this? No matter how bad their fans want a game that has been lost in dev hell, never bring it back for them. They'll never appreciate it. I saw some people I used to think were fair when it came to reviews turn into sheep and not even give the game a fair chance. I for one, am grateful for even being given the chance to play Duke, it could have ended up like the real Fallout 3 and so many others did and never saw the light of day.This right here is a perfect example why I'm getting out of gaming as site owner. I don't think I've ever been so ashamed to have been a part of game industry. Not just flak, 2K dropped them it looks like. Shame, too. He was right. If you read all the things he said, he is absolutely correct. There's no reason to trash a game when reviewing it. Just state that you felt it was bad. List the things you didn't like and move on. There was absolute hatred coming out of some of these reviews. Hate for a video game, that grown up people couldn't write professionally about.Now he'll bare the cross, for speaking his own mind. Something that he did without using one curse word. Something that many of these sites couldn't do. It was pure opinion and no trash talk.What's worse is, you have these big sites now, rallying around each other. That's why he's probably being canned. They demand that they be able to voice their opinion and freedom to say it. However, at the end of the day, a person may have been fired for speaking his own. All over a video game.A video game. Way to go gaming industry. Way to go. Report
June 15, 201115 yr comment_39065 Let me state something for the record, too. I wasn't a fan of his to begin with. He burned me on some review copy, and I've admittedly carried some form of grudge this entire time. What happened tonight, though, was sick. I'm disgusted with this industry right now. He's apologized to each and everyone via emails, but we'll never once see a site apologize for their overt hatred for Duke Nukem Forever. They'll proclaim their rights to speak however they want to, and that the industry needs them more than they need it. Actually, they already have over Twitter. They're a proud, conceited bunch, and they're rejoicing right now. Rome will burn eventually. Hope I'm there with gasoline. Report
June 15, 201115 yr comment_39066 Not just flak, 2K dropped them it looks like.Wow. Don't even know what to say about that. Report
June 15, 201115 yr comment_39068 So, I read through this thread and, to my understanding, the gist is that the developer of DNF got canned because of the bad reviews? Report
June 15, 201115 yr comment_39069 Everyone who isnt me is gay.I almost expressed my love for you, but I didn't. Report
June 15, 201115 yr comment_39072 Yea nph is kind of bad *** for a gay dude. Anyways yea im on the fence about this. Im all about saying what you want anf nobody should be able to tell you what you cant say. But review sites are also full of **** and get paid off. Report
June 15, 201115 yr comment_39073 As Americans, we all have the "right" to free speech. Having said that, there is professionalism and completely bashing something to the point where objectivity is voided is very unprofessional in my opinion. In addition, I could rant for hours about how reviews no longer take into account the intent of a given media. For example, tons of comedies are given poor reviews (look at the new Hangover that had mixed reviews) due to poor plot and characters, but if it made you laugh then it accomplished it's goal. As far as this game is concerned, it should be judged on its own merit, with the series in mind, and shouldn't be compared to Call of Duty and Halo. It ISN'T Call of Duty or Halo! Report
June 15, 201115 yr comment_39074 So, I read through this thread and, to my understanding, the gist is that the developer of DNF got canned because of the bad reviews?No. The Public Relations firm for 2K Games (publisher for Nukem) appears to have been let go. Report
June 15, 201115 yr comment_39076 Being professional is what society says it is. If you want to bash something then bash it and to be fired over expressing your self in your on way is bs. If the game is **** then its ****. Nothing would change if we didnt complain. And usually they compare games to what they are closest to. Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.