March 29, 201115 yr comment_33704 Not sure if people have seen this, head over to Major Nelson to sign up. http://majornelson.com/ Xbox 360 System Update Preview I am happy to announce that we’re doing an Xbox 360 System Update Preview program for our next release, and the opportunity to sign up is now available. We are conducting an open call for US based participants* for a public preview to help us prepare for an updated Xbox 360 disc format. This is an important update as we continually strive to improve our products and we could not do so without the help of our great Xbox community. As part of the preview program, you will receive a copy of Halo: Reach along with other possible rewards.Much like we did last year, you’ll need to visit the Microsoft Connect site from this link and sign in with your Windows LIVE ID that is connected to your Xbox LIVE Gamertag. Once you complete the survey that is presented to you, the Connect site will provide program related updates and you will receive a mail once the selection process is completed. A couple of points before you head off to register: We’re looking for multiple thousands of participants, so your chances of making it in are good.This opportunity is open to Xbox LIVE Members in US region only*. To avoid any problems, read the survey carefully and double check all the information you provide.While both Xbox LIVE Gold and Silver members can sign up, priority will be given to Gold members in the selection process.*Due to disc distribution limitations, this beta it will be limited to residents of the United States only. I’ll be sure to update this post if the program fills up. Sign up for the Xbox LIVE Update Preview Program Report
March 30, 201115 yr comment_33715 Not even going to remotely get my hopes up for this one if they are sending out free Haloz. I'm guessing it will end soon. lol.Reach is the only Haloz I don't have, so crossing my fingers. Report
March 30, 201115 yr comment_33721 An "updated disc format"???? I'm interested in exactly what that means. They've already pushed the limits really of what a DVD can hold really. Double-sided maybe? Report
March 30, 201115 yr comment_33732 Chris, it's probably just some anti-piracy junk they are putting on the disc. In which case, I'm all for it. It won't be a completely new format as the Xbox 360 is DVD only and no amount of firmware can change that. Report
March 30, 201115 yr comment_33740 Chris, it's probably just some anti-piracy junk they are putting on the disc. In which case, I'm all for it. It won't be a completely new format as the Xbox 360 is DVD only and no amount of firmware can change that. Uhhhhh, I just found some bad news. "The maximum space allocated to game data on the current disc format is just 6.8GB out of a maximum of 7.95GB on a standard dual layer DVD," Digital Foundry explains, "with over 1GB dedicated to a DVD-Video partition that also contained anti-piracy security sectors." That partition will be "drastically reduced or omitted completely" in the update, the source claims.Way to go Microsoft. Make your console and games even MORE hackable by REMOVING anti-piracy measures. /megafacepalmhttp://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-1gb-360-disc-upgrade Report
March 30, 201115 yr comment_33750 Chris, it's probably just some anti-piracy junk they are putting on the disc. In which case, I'm all for it. It won't be a completely new format as the Xbox 360 is DVD only and no amount of firmware can change that. That's what I read at first, too. I'm sure they'll be adding in a new layer of piracy prevention, on top of this 1 GB of added storage. Report
March 30, 201115 yr comment_33752 That's what I read at first, too. I'm sure they'll be adding in a new layer of piracy prevention, on top of this 1 GB of added storage.*points to above from Digital Foundry regarding removal of partition and possibly removal of anti-piracy measures* Report
March 30, 201115 yr comment_33753 I know, Chris. I read it last night. I also read about the first rumors stating it'd be about anti-piracy and not about space. Report
March 30, 201115 yr comment_33754 Hmmm. I guess at this point it could go either way. I REALLY hope they add more anti piracy to be honest. Removing a bunch of it just to add more storage space does seem pretty dumb to me, so you're probably right. Report
March 30, 201115 yr comment_33755 http://www.vg247.com/2011/03/29/xbox-360-system-update-preview-nets-you-a-free-copy-of-reach/"The update is believed to be from XGD2 (Xbox Game Disc 2) to XGD3. Various Xbox 360 piracy forums are claiming the new format will add an extra portion of memory to disc – apparently it’s approximately 1Gb.This has implications for 360 pirates – the discs aren’t commercially available, meaning the update may make it more difficult to download an image and just copy it onto a normal dual-layered DVD" Report
March 30, 201115 yr comment_33762 So we're really wagging our suspect finger just at MS because they don't pour money down the drain trying to fight the overwhelmingly losing piracy/hacker battle? The simple solution is, if you don't like the way they do things, go to another platform that does it better. I would want you guys to tell me which one you pick that's better because honestly all platforms (PS3, Wii, DS, PSP, iPhone, iPad, Android, etc.) have piracy and hacking issues.Back on topic: More space would be pretty great. Or hell, why not make double-sided discs like movies used to do with the fullscreen/widescreen versions on opposite sides? Report
March 30, 201115 yr comment_33764 Yes, I am wagging my finger a little. I'm allowed to. Playing online games against people who are blatantly cheating/hacking is incredibly frustrating. MS needs to work better with other companies and developers so they can both in cooperation punish/remove offenders easier. I'm not saying that it will ever put a stop to things completely, but a stricter and stronger response would lessen things IMO. That just my opinion however. Sites like TheTechGame and whatnot should be brought down. If Sony can sue ONE KID (that Geoholtz dude or whatever) for making a single crack to the system I see no reason why MS who is swimming in profits from Xbox Live and Xbox, shouldn't be able to take down some offending sites and police their consoles a bit better. Unfortunately, the only thing I think that would solve things for a LITTLE while (big emphasis on little) is to release a completely new system which I know will eventually get hacked anyways also.And yes, back on topic - more space would be awesome. I'm not sure how they would pull off the double-sided business and still label the games but it would be cool to see. Report
March 30, 201115 yr comment_33765 Hell I'm ready for them to get rid of discs altgother and start offering Games on Demand on the same day as it's retail release date.I would go %100 digital if I could. Report
March 30, 201115 yr comment_33766 Hell I'm ready for them to get rid of discs altgother and start offering Games on Demand on the same day as it's retail release date.I would go %100 digital if I could.I wouldn't mind that so much if the prices were adjusted accordingly. I absolutely loathe paying full retail price, if not sometimes MORE than retail *glares at XBL Games on Demand service* for a product that is cheaper to distribute digitally. Report
March 30, 201115 yr comment_33772 I signed up before it closed but rumor has it their giving us a free copy of Halo Reach with this new disc. I can't source it right now though, take it for what it's worth. This will be my 3rd or 4th preview I've tried to be on. Been accepted every-time but never been asked for a shipping address., Report
March 30, 201115 yr comment_33792 I signed up before it closed but rumor has it their giving us a free copy of Halo Reach with this new disc. I can't source it right now though, take it for what it's worth. This will be my 3rd or 4th preview I've tried to be on. Been accepted every-time but never been asked for a shipping address.,It's not a rumor. It's confirmed by Major Nelson. They are testing a new disc format so naturally they need to send you a disc (which is Reach). Kind of cool that it's a new release though. They could have easily sent you Viva Pinata or some crap. Report
March 31, 201115 yr comment_33801 I signed up last night, though I already have Halo Reach. One copy may end up getting traded in or even given away in a contest here eventually if I make it into the program. It will be interesting to see what that extra 1GB will allow developers to do, though I always install the games I play which lets me see how much space is on the disc, and most are only around 4GB anyways except for the really big ones like Rockstar and Bioware's games, which often go right up to the limit. Report
March 31, 201115 yr comment_33804 Hell I'm ready for them to get rid of discs altgother and start offering Games on Demand on the same day as it's retail release date.I would go %100 digital if I could.I'm strongly against digital with with the way DRM is handled now on the 360. I can't access roughly 95% of my DLC content offline, and I still haven't been able to fix it after at least 3 years(the DRM transfer tool just doesn't work). Report
March 31, 201115 yr comment_33812 I have only occasionally had an issue with DRM on some games. I'll be honest I have never gotten a Game on Demand because by the time they come out it's just cheaper to buy it used since it's been such a long time. While I will miss the few bucks I'll save by doing that, I'd enjoy the added convenience of not going to the store.But yeah I didn't factor in DRM issues. They are definitely a problem. Report
April 7, 201115 yr comment_34267 While the xbox is easier to hack than some other systems, it also means that it is easier to fix problems when they arise. I remember hearing a news story that when the PS3 encryption thingy got hacked, it was very very difficult to fix because changing the key ran the risk of every single current PS3 game being recognised as pirated.Also, if things go digital, Australia will be totally left behind. I would be able to download about half a game a month, if I wanted to dedicate all my quota to the game and not use the internet for the month. And to put things in perspective, full price for you guys is $60. Full price here is $120. Report
April 11, 201115 yr comment_34544 Got my 'thing' today.Surprised to hear my doorbell ring this morning. For one, I rarely get a delivery truck out here (they get lost), two, never this early. Fed Ex finally got it right. May have to use them for packages out to my house from now on. No others can seem to find this place. Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.