Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gamercide

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Welcome back to Gamercide!

I Can't Believe This Is An Honors Level College Course.

Featured Replies

Ohio State University.

English 261H - Introduction to Fiction (Honors)

Professor Amanpal Garcha has apparently decided to teach a class on the topic and, lo and behold, get ready to gouge your eyes out.

.......ready for this?

youvegottobekiddingme.jpg

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Required reading for an HONOR'S LEVEL college course!?!?

And yes, this is real. Check out the OSU English Department page for Syllabi.

http://english.osu.e...ration/syllabi/

And, directly from the retard's syllabus himself, I quote the following:

"we read and discuss some important, influential narratives about the supernatural – Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein, Bram Stoker’s Dracula, Henry James’ The Turn of the Screw, and Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight as well a few minor works"

I am completely disgusted. Grouping this piece of trash book along with "imporant, influential" novels like Frankenstein and Dracula!?!? GAAAAAHHH!!!!

Not surprised. Today's youth can take their final for this class via twitter most likely. It's what we are headed for, sadly.

someone explain how this even became popular in the first place?

i tried reading the books - found it horrible

tried wathcing the movie - found it retarded after 30 minutes.

just. HOW !?!?!

While the book is not good, looking at the full course description, it makes perfect sense.

In this course, we will identify some of literary fiction’s defining characteristics, including its uses of narrative voices to tell stories, its manipulation of time to depict its subjects, and its emphasis on characters’ familial, sociopolitical, and erotic relationships. While we read and discuss some important, influential narratives about the supernatural – Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein, Bram Stoker’s Dracula, Henry James’ The Turn of the Screw, and Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight as well a few minor works – we will also explore how these texts, like much other fiction, try to create particular reading experiences, as they push us to consider the nature and importance of literary imagination and the way fiction’s seductiveness is tied to other potentially dangerous attractions. We will also cover some of English fiction’s history, which will allow us to consider the relationship between fiction and other imaginative forms, including poetry, television, and film, and fiction’s transformation from (around 1800) a low and somewhat marginal literary form to (today) our culture’s dominant literary mode. Finally, we will define some principles and strategies for writing critically about fiction.

Yes, putting it in with the other great literary works listed is truly a travesty, it is up to the professor to deem it necessary. Obviously she is a fan of the series.

Also, you guys do realize that all the other books received the same mixed reaction that you are all giving Twilight. <shrugs> Opinions FTW! :lol:

  • Author

While the book is not good, looking at the full course description, it makes perfect sense.

Yes, putting it in with the other great literary works listed is truly a travesty, it is up to the professor to deem it necessary. Obviously she is a fan of the series.

Also, you guys do realize that all the other books received the same mixed reaction that you are all giving Twilight. <shrugs> Opinions FTW! :lol:

DON'T STICK UP FOR THE TWILIGHT SERIES!!!!

You just like "sparkly" vampires, don't you Mr. Spawn. DON'T YOU!?!?!?

Personally, I think Twilight is a VERY well-written book. Yes, the movies sucked. Yes, it's homo that the vampires sparkle in the sunlight. And I have read a lot of renowned books as far as fiction is concerned. But I think it is a good piece of literature. It has all the characteristics of any good piece of literature. This is my personal opinion, of course. But I think it makes sense, especially in an INTRODUCTION to fiction.

Personally, I think Twilight is a VERY well-written book. Yes, the movies sucked. Yes, it's homo that the vampires sparkle in the sunlight. And I have read a lot of renowned books as far as fiction is concerned. But I think it is a good piece of literature. It has all the characteristics of any good piece of literature. This is my personal opinion, of course. But I think it makes sense, especially in an INTRODUCTION to fiction.

Face palm

DON'T STICK UP FOR THE TWILIGHT SERIES!!!!

You just like "sparkly" vampires, don't you Mr. Spawn. DON'T YOU!?!?!?

Yes, good job. Repeat the same banter that everyone does. I question whether half the people that complain about the books have even read the series and are just parroting the same rhetoric they hear from everyone else.

While it wasn't/isn't my thing, I have read them and I can see how it truly IS important fictional literature from the standpoint of the class being taught. I'll say it again, the other "important, influential" books that are listed were panned by everyone upon their initial releases. Whose to say in 100 years that these books won't be thought of the exact same way?

  • Author

Yes, good job. Repeat the same banter that everyone does. I question whether half the people that complain about the books have even read the series and are just parroting the same rhetoric they hear from everyone else.

While it wasn't/isn't my thing, I have read them and I can see how it truly IS important fictional literature from the standpoint of the class being taught. I'll say it again, the other "important, influential" books that are listed were panned by everyone upon their initial releases. Whose to say in 100 years that these books won't be thought of the exact same way?

I can, with SHAME, say I read all the books. Coy kind of forced me. She read the Otherland series and made me read Twilight. LoL

So no, I'm not "parroting" anything. The series sucked. The movies sucked. And it shames me that a college level HONORS course has it as "required reading" alongside Frankenstein and Dracula. LoL

I tried to read the first book and I couldn't make it to chapter 3. It just sucked so bad that I could not do it. My wife read them all I'm ashamed to say...lol.

In my opinion, the books were very creative (sparkly vampires aside) and the characters had depth and the backstory, the sad part is even with all that, it's not well put together. She's great with coming up with the material but not so much in putting it down.

  • Author

the sad part is even with all that, it's not well put together. She's great with coming up with the material but not so much in putting it down.

Thats the problem I have too. It's not that it couldn't be interesting, its just the way the stories flow and are told that suck IMO.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.