January 18, 201115 yr comment_28090 I am completely stunned. This is something I totally did not expect.PORTAL 2 PLAYSTATION 3 STEAM FEATURES REVEALED January 18, 2011 -- Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Half-Life and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced the Steam features shipping with the PlayStation 3 (PS3) version of Portal 2.Marking the debut of Steam functioning on any next generation console, the features shipping in the PS3 version of Portal 2 include cross platform play (PC/Mac vs. PS3) for multiplayer games, persistent cloud-based storage of PS3 saved games, and cross platform chat (PC/Mac and PS3).In addition, those who purchase Portal 2 for the PlayStation 3 may unlock a Steam Play (PC & Mac) copy of Portal 2 at no additional cost by linking their PSN and Steam accounts."We made a promise to gamers at E3 that Portal 2 for the PlayStation 3 would be the best console version of the product," said Gabe Newell, co-founder and president of Valve. "Working together with Sony we have identified a set of features we believe are very compelling to gamers. We hope to expand upon the foundation being laid in Portal 2 with more Steam features and functionality in DLC and future content releases.""We designed the Portal 2 PS3 experience to be very straightforward for gamers," said Josh Weier, project lead on Portal 2 at Valve. "PS3 gamers will be able to simply drop the Blu-Ray disc in the PS3, link to their Steam account from inside the game, and all their Steam friends (on PC and Mac) will be visible and accessible for chat and game invites."These features are made possible thru the use of Steam, Valve's platform for the delivery and management of games and digital content.Portal 2 is due for release on the PlayStation 3, PC, Mac and Xbox 360 this April.For more information, please visit www.thinkingwithportals.com Report
January 18, 201115 yr comment_28091 I predict....DLC will be free for the PS3 version...and not for the 360 version, because of this stuff. Report
January 18, 201115 yr Author comment_28092 MS did have a chance with Valve. They really did. They made it so hard on them (i.e. Orange Box/TF2 issues) that they gave up and jumped ship for PS3. Plus, as someone said in a comment I read about this, Microsoft has their own Games For Windows Live digital service. Sony doesn't. Sony pairing with Steam could be THE GREATEST console/PC partnership ever. Report
January 18, 201115 yr comment_28093 Great, now not only will I not be able to connect and play the game on my PS3 because PSN makes it really tough, I won't be able to do it through Steam because I'll have to deal with the PS3 problems there too. In all seriousness, it is pretty cool. Won't make me buy it on PS3, but pretty cool. Report
January 18, 201115 yr Author comment_28094 I'm no Sony fanboy, but the idea of this could be awesome honestly. I really like cross-platform play. I liked Shadowrun. I enjoyed Universe At War. It will be cool to see how Sony's new pairing pans out.I may actually get some use out of my PS3 again instead of being a glorified blu-ray player. LoL Report
January 18, 201115 yr Author comment_28096 I kinda really wish I got a PS3 instead of a 360 now.No you don't. Trust me. LoL Have you ever played one, let alone TRIED to play online? PS3 is cool to have, but if you want to play games, and play them easily, then stick with your 360. If you want to buy a PS3 down the road just for giggles, then I say go for it. It's a cool system. But hands down the 360 is the better gaming experience. Report
January 18, 201115 yr comment_28097 I've just kinda been completely uninterested in online play as of late. I did play quite a bit of Black Ops, but now I really don't care anymore. Plus, it would be nice to not worry aboug my system doing for the 6th(maybe 7th time, I lost count honestly).Plus, it can't POSSIBLY be worse then the Wii's online, LOL Report
January 18, 201115 yr comment_28098 ...glorified blu-ray player. LoLIt's really the best Blu-Ray player on the market. Like I said in the other "Should I buy a PS3" thread, I've tried NUMEROUS Blu-Ray players and for the price point and features (Minus the gaming) it truly is the best BD player out there. I recommend it to people as a BD player and get some really funny looks when I do. Report
January 18, 201115 yr Author comment_28099 Well, just so you know, the PS3 is COMPLETELY compromised right now too. Call of Duty is UNPLAYABLE online at the moment because of the new security flaw.Even Infinity Ward came out and said that they give up. The new "hack" is completely software based. Any retard can do it pretty much. It's not like modding your Xbox with a JTAG (hardware modding). Report
January 18, 201115 yr comment_28108 I will have to get this for PC now and play someone from here on PS3! Report
January 18, 201115 yr Author comment_28109 I will have to get this for PC now and play someone from here on PS3! Prob will be same price on PS3. You may be able to buy the game on PS3, use the free Steam download for yourself and give away your PS3 copy as a contest prize if you wanted. LoL Report
January 18, 201115 yr comment_28111 Prob will be same price on PS3. You may be able to buy the game on PS3, use the free Steam download for yourself and give away your PS3 copy as a contest prize if you wanted. LoLI'll do that if I know it will work. Will consider that. Report
January 18, 201115 yr comment_28125 This news is -very- interesting. However, for most shooters I still prefer the precision of keyboard/mouse.However it doesn't keep me from playing Borderlands/Halo type games on my 360. This new wrinkle w/ STEAM and Sony though... we don't have a PS3 yet but it makes the case stronger. Report
January 18, 201115 yr comment_28132 The PC community is already threatening to not game with the PS3 players. They don't want to be paired up with someone who doesn't have the same accuracy they do. Something like that. lol Report
January 18, 201115 yr Author comment_28133 The PC community is already threatening to not game with the PS3 players. They don't want to be paired up with someone who doesn't have the same accuracy they do. Something like that. lolElitist b.astards. LoL Report
January 18, 201115 yr comment_28146 If I really do get a steam version with the purchase of the PS3 one I'll be picking this up for PS3 as well. Be worth the possible 10 extra bucks. Cross Platform is cool, and the PS3 does have a readily available mouse setup for it. Steam friends on PS3 will be great as well. Report
January 19, 201115 yr comment_28165 Had a conversation on IM this afternoon. What's to stop someone from buying it for PS3, taking it home, installing it on your HDD, and then returning it to the store for a full refund? They'll need to use some form of activation or something. Report
January 19, 201115 yr comment_28175 Had a conversation on IM this afternoon. What's to stop someone from buying it for PS3, taking it home, installing it on your HDD, and then returning it to the store for a full refund? They'll need to use some form of activation or something.Probably have to open it for the code and once opened, it cannot be returned. That would be my guess. Report
January 19, 201115 yr comment_28181 Well, I know you have to link your Steam profile to your PS3 profile, but I don't see how that'd deter someone from returning the disc. You could just say you received two copies of Portal 2 for your birthday. Report
January 19, 201115 yr comment_28231 Well, I know you have to link your Steam profile to your PS3 profile, but I don't see how that'd deter someone from returning the disc. You could just say you received two copies of Portal 2 for your birthday.Like in the 360 option to "install to HD", I'm going to guess that yes it'll install, making the game load faster/perform better. However: you'll still need to have the physical disc in the PS3 drive to play. Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.