November 11, 201015 yr comment_23679 This is my cooler where I work. It's a tiny fraction of all of the turkeys I'm going to sell in the next couple of weeks. Report
November 11, 201015 yr comment_23681 Think of it this way, at least you weren't the one to kill, gut, and de feather them all lol. Report
November 11, 201015 yr comment_23684 Thanksgiving is such a pain in the *** .. working in the restaurant biz for years had me carving up more turkeys than I can count. I'm sick of doing it and I know I'll have the job of doing it again this year. Report
November 11, 201015 yr Author comment_23686 Omg. In no way, shape or form did I think anyone would derail my train of thought when I posted this.Good point GG. I have been on that side as far as slaughtering critters, but never turkeys or poultry of any kind as far as that goes. I'm just organizing and trying to get the birds on the floor for sale. I couldn't imagine working the kill floor on something as big as this. Report
November 11, 201015 yr comment_23689 I've killed my share of turkey's and birds. Turkey's are mean bastaages btw, but the defeathering sucks. At least when you skin on defeather and have ot boil and pluck. That's on a small scale though. I can only imagine they have some crazy huge turkey slaughtering machine that boils them by the hundreds and pulls the feathers off in some crazy fasion. Still, looks like a crazy amount of work Pogre. Report
November 11, 201015 yr comment_23694 WOW!! .. Janet's Whizbang Chicken Plucker is pretty awesome. Report
November 11, 201015 yr Author comment_23695 Turkey's are mean bastaages btw, but the defeathering sucks. I never suspected you were a turkey plucker! This is just the beginning. I'm slated to do close to a hundred grand in sales (just in the meat department) the week of Thanksgiving with very limited room. What I posted really is a tiny fraction of what I'm going to sell. i just got transferred to this store right after Easter this year. This is my first holiday running with the big dogs. Report
November 11, 201015 yr comment_23696 I bet you have a fridge truck parked on the side of your business, am I right? That's what our store has each year. They just don't have the room to stock all the birds they'll sell. Report
November 11, 201015 yr comment_23697 When i worked at the factory back home, they had a conveyor belt that would take them around to the huge machine that boiled the feathers off, then these high pressure nozzles would blast off the rest of the feathers and the REAL pain was the clean up. Report
November 11, 201015 yr comment_23701 Pogre if it makes you feel any better we very rarely even eat turkey on thanksgiving. We use to get our turkeys for free at work, but now with the economy sucking we don't even get that anymore so we just don't even bother with turkey anymore. Report
November 11, 201015 yr Author comment_23702 I bet you have a fridge truck parked on the side of your business, am I right? That's what our store has each year. They just don't have the room to stock all the birds they'll sell.No dude. Unfortunately, we don't. The store I'm at right now is in the middle of a bunch of retired folks. Most of them summer where they're from, then winter out here (so it's busy as **** right now). A couple of years ago, the neighborhood pitched a fit about the noise from the reefer trailer we used to store all the extra turkeys in. The company ended up apologizing, gave out ton of gift cards and stopped using reefers at my store.Bastards have no problem going there to get their frigging turkeys though. Report
November 11, 201015 yr comment_23709 I wonder if they store weed in turkey trailers...Also I need to poop. Report
November 11, 201015 yr Author comment_23711 Lol. Reefer = refrigerated.Spicoli.Enjoy your poop. Report
November 11, 201015 yr comment_23718 Sorry have to throw this in as well with turkey day coming. Report
November 11, 201015 yr comment_23719 Defeathering a turkey sucks so bad. I helped my dad do it after he got a gobbler during spring turkey season and I thought before hand..."okay if I can gut a deer without a problem then this will be no different". I wanted to be done as soon I started helping. I always dread turkey season just knowing if I get one I have to do all that jazz, plus walk out of the woods with it's wings slapping me all over my back and it's head bopping me in the rear end. Not to mention the wild dark turkey meat....makes me want to vomit! Report
November 11, 201015 yr comment_23720 And it's threads like this that make me thankful I have been a vegan for about 2 years now. Report
November 11, 201015 yr comment_23727 I hope he's not in there. (and fyi, this movie is totally on netflix instant watch. Sooo horrible) Report
November 14, 201015 yr comment_23844 My mom and Step dad raised turkey's for a long time, we'd always butcher and eat the birds every year.One of my fondest memories of my stepdad is watching him wrestle a easily 20lb turkey for 15 minutes Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.