July 22, 201016 yr comment_14375 Can you do this with a mouse and keyboard? There was a mouse and keyboard vs controller discussion, and it made me bring this clip out. Controller>>>>>>mouse and keyboard Report
July 22, 201016 yr comment_14409 Can you do this with a mouse and keyboard? There was a mouse and keyboard vs controller discussion, and it made me bring this clip out. Controller>>>>>>mouse and keyboard lol, I see what you did now that i watched it on a full screen. Very nice. Though, the discussion is still a moot point. It's all about practice. I probably couldn't do that with a keyboard and mouse but I don't play the game either. Since the PC versions support controllers I would love to see a match of the top players mice vs controllers. That'd be pretty epic. It would also probably prove its about practice. I imagine the game would be close regardless. Report
July 22, 201016 yr comment_14411 lol, I see what you did now that i watched it on a full screen. Very nice. Though, the discussion is still a moot point. It's all about practice. I probably couldn't do that with a keyboard and mouse but I don't play the game either. Since the PC versions support controllers I would love to see a match of the top players mice vs controllers. That'd be pretty epic. It would also probably prove its about practice. I imagine the game would be close regardless.http://kotaku.com/5593259/rumor-microsoft-killed-plans-for-pc-vs-xbox-360-online-playhttp://gizmodo.com/5593116/were-pc-gamers-too-good-for-microsofts-cross+platform-gaming-project?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+gizmodo%2Ffull+%28Gizmodo%29&utm_content=Google+Reader"I've heard from reliable sources that during the development they brought together the best console gamers to play mediocre PC gamers at the same game... and guess what happened? They pitted console gamers with their "console" controller, against PC gamers with their keyboard and mouse.The console players got destroyed every time. So much so that it would be embarrassing to the XBOX team in general had Microsoft launched this initiative.I have my doubts about which is truly "better", and if the console competition truly was stomped as badly as they say. I mean look at Shadowrun. That game succeeded very well as an FPS with cross-platform play despite the developers going out of business shortly after launch.Also, Universe At War was a good RTS that also supported cross-platform play.*shrugs* Report
July 22, 201016 yr comment_14425 http://kotaku.com/55...360-online-playhttp://gizmodo.com/5...t=Google+Reader"I've heard from reliable sources that during the development they brought together the best console gamers to play mediocre PC gamers at the same game... and guess what happened? They pitted console gamers with their "console" controller, against PC gamers with their keyboard and mouse.The console players got destroyed every time. So much so that it would be embarrassing to the XBOX team in general had Microsoft launched this initiative.I have my doubts about which is truly "better", and if the console competition truly was stomped as badly as they say. I mean look at Shadowrun. That game succeeded very well as an FPS with cross-platform play despite the developers going out of business shortly after launch.Also, Universe At War was a good RTS that also supported cross-platform play.*shrugs*I'm a large supporter of cross platform play. As the article said, if for no other reason then casual or coop. Is it still possible to cross platform play with shadowrun? If so, I'd like to pick it up for PC and try it sometime. Just to see how well it worked. Report
July 22, 201016 yr comment_14427 Yup, the servers are still up and running. In fact, there are a few achievements for teaming up with/killing cross platform players. Shadowrun is one of my FAVORITE shooters. It's really an awesome game to be honest, and I'm sure you can find it cheap on PC right now. it's just sad that the devs went out of business shortly after launch. Report
July 22, 201016 yr Author comment_14428 If I was there, the console player wouldn't have lost.Controller for life! Report
July 22, 201016 yr comment_14435 Yup, the servers are still up and running. In fact, there are a few achievements for teaming up with/killing cross platform players. Shadowrun is one of my FAVORITE shooters. It's really an awesome game to be honest, and I'm sure you can find it cheap on PC right now. it's just sad that the devs went out of business shortly after launch.Cool. I'll look it up and maybe we can play sometime. Report
July 22, 201016 yr comment_14436 Purchased. 6 bucks new shipped to my door. Though its amazon so it may be 2 weeks before its here. lol. I'll fire it up PC and see if we can get some people together to play.And for the controller vs mouse thing you should read his full blog post:http://www.rahulsood.com/2010/07/console-gamers-get-killed-against-pc.htmlHe makes some good points and this is one I really like:Those of us who have been in the gaming business for over a decade know the real deal. You simply don't get the same level of detail or control as you do with a PC over a console. It's a real shame that Microsoft killed this -- because had they kept it alive it might have actually increased the desire of game developers and gamers alike to continue developing and playing rich experiences on the PC which would trickle down to the console as it has in the past.I mean, say what you will about which is better console, pc, etc but the fact is it's all arrived from a love of the PC. The hardware would never have been there without the video card wars for the PC. It's that competition and development on the PC that has allowed for the consoles to expand so rapidly. Report
July 23, 201016 yr Author comment_14445 I'd be down for some Shadowrun, that game is badass. I still believe that the controller can compete with a mouse and keyboard. To be honest, I believe it's more about reaction time and familiarity with the device. I've been a controller warrior forever, and I will always love it. Report
July 23, 201016 yr comment_14446 I'd be down for some Shadowrun, that game is badass. I still believe that the controller can compete with a mouse and keyboard. To be honest, I believe it's more about reaction time and familiarity with the device. I've been a controller warrior forever, and I will always love it.I do believe that it can. Watching the video you posted I could probably move faster with the keyboard and mouse but that doesn't mean I could actually accurately react at that speed. I started on controllers but only for the early side scroller/fighter stuff. I was raised keyboard/mouse on FPS though. I don't really care which is better, but I DO think the xbox should support a keyboard/mouse type peripheral. Even if it was an extremely limited concept it would be nice. I mean, you can pretty much use a controller on any PC game. Would be nice to have the reverse option on consoles. Report
July 23, 201016 yr Author comment_14484 I didn't have max sensitivity on for that video, otherwise it could have been faster. Also, I didn't need to spin that fast because I had a huge jump to get the 360 in. 720 or 1080 could have been easily possible, but a bit harder. Report
July 23, 201016 yr comment_14526 Purchased. 6 bucks new shipped to my door. Though its amazon so it may be 2 weeks before its here. lol. I'll fire it up PC and see if we can get some people together to play.Suh-weet! Lemme know. It's been a while since I was able to run around as my "Stabby Troll" or my "Dwarf Medic" Report
July 23, 201016 yr comment_14550 I still have Shadowrun. It's one of the few FPS' I really liked. Enough so that survived the trade in frenzy that netted me my 360 slim. Report
July 23, 201016 yr comment_14551 Yeah, I still have my copy too. Would love to get a few matches in again. Plus it's nice because it supports a lot of players on each side so we could easily get a team together. I loves my Stabby Troll! Troll + Wired Reflexes + Katana! Report
July 23, 201016 yr comment_14568 I didn't have max sensitivity on for that video, otherwise it could have been faster. Also, I didn't need to spin that fast because I had a huge jump to get the 360 in. 720 or 1080 could have been easily possible, but a bit harder.As I said, I agree the most with your comment on familiarity and reaction time, but I don't believe the console controller has the option to go as sensitive as a mouse. As I said before, I can't play at the super fast sensitivity settings, but I believe there are people who can. Its possible in MW to make a 720 spin or more before you hit the ground after hitting the jump button from a standstill. I've done it, but its moving so GD fast I can't even tell what the hell is going on.Of course, the sensitivity is a limitation of the system and not the controller. I'm sure if the xbox would allow you to pump it up that high then there would be plenty of hard core gamers who could actually use it at that setting.Besides, I'm not all that great with either one. My copy of Shadowrun shipped so you can school me with the controller soon enough Report
July 23, 201016 yr comment_14569 How did this thread turn into a conversation about Shadowrun? lol Report
July 23, 201016 yr comment_14570 How did this thread turn into a conversation about Shadowrun? lollol. Because it's one of the few cross platform playable games. So, I ordered it up on the PC and we're gonna give it a go when I get it. Report
July 23, 201016 yr comment_14572 lol. Because it's one of the few cross platform playable games. So, I ordered it up on the PC and we're gonna give it a go when I get it.Ah... never really played the game. I forgot that it was cross platform. Report
July 23, 201016 yr comment_14573 Ah... never really played the game. I forgot that it was cross platform.Noob! Report
July 23, 201016 yr comment_14575 Ah... never really played the game. I forgot that it was cross platform.Buy it! 6 bucks new shipped from Amazon for the PC. We could be part of the PC side and achievo whore. Report
July 23, 201016 yr comment_14577 Buy it! 6 bucks new shipped from Amazon for the PC. We could be part of the PC side and achievo whore.I see 10 bucks... can you link to it? Report
July 23, 201016 yr comment_14582 http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000PHNW3A/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=newLooks like quite a few under the New listings:$1.99 + $3.93 shipping Report
July 23, 201016 yr comment_14584 http://www.amazon.co...8&condition=newLooks like quite a few under the New listings:$1.99 + $3.93 shippingYep. I ordered mine from Newport555 and it shipped out via USPS today. So they got on it pretty quick. Well, it says shipped and an estimated delivery of Aug 13. lol. Who the hell knows with amazon. If they ACTUALLY put it in the mail it should be here in a week. Report
July 23, 201016 yr comment_14589 http://www.amazon.co...8&condition=newLooks like quite a few under the New listings:$1.99 + $3.93 shippingForgot to check there... thanks Chris... went ahead and ordered it. Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.