August 25, 201412 yr comment_84870 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ILALU9G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 So this is a pretty damn good deal and after reading a recent article that was testing it out they found it's actually better and faster than the stock HDD on the PS4. The only thing is that it's within an enclosure, so you'll need a knife or small flathead screwdriver to remove the enclosure, but within it is a standard 9.5mm drive that will work fantastic. I'm purchased it and am going to upgrade later this week and take the drive from my PS4 and put in in my old PS3 (launch fat model and still kicking!!) Report
August 25, 201412 yr comment_84872 I replaced my old ps3 with a hybrid 500 gb Seagate momentus xt. Worked like a dream with a few caveats. The file structure had to be changed to fat32 and anything associated with the drive i.e. movies purchased through sony didnt work right. Not sure if ps4 will have same issues. Report
August 25, 201412 yr Author comment_84873 Apparently the PS4 is just plug and play pretty much. https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5107/~/upgrade-ps4-hdd (Direct Sony link about upgrading) http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-how-to-cheaply-upgrade-your-ps4-to-2tb (Article where I found the 2TB drive along with speed tests) Report
August 25, 201412 yr Author comment_84881 And here I am with my original 20gb 360 drive. Yeah, but your 360 doesn't require like 20-50+gb game installs for just about every game. That 500gb that comes with the system (of which only about 400 is available) gets used up REALLY friggin fast. Report
August 25, 201412 yr comment_84882 Yeah, but your 360 doesn't require like 20-50+gb game installs for just about every game. That 500gb that comes with the system (of which only about 400 is available) gets used up REALLY friggin fast. Halo 4 would eat 8gb alone as well as GTAV. So there goes 16gb of my 20 on 2 games alone. If I wanted to play skyrim and/or BL2 with DLC, i'd have to uninstall of of the previous 2 to make room. Report
August 25, 201412 yr Author comment_84883 Yeah I know what you mean. I think CoD:Ghosts is like 49gb on my system alone, and I already own a bunch of games. Then start throwing in all the free to play games like Warframe and Way Thunder, and downloadable games and your disk is full. That's why the 2TB is definitely a necessary upgrade. The one i linked to was only like $88 which is a pretty sweet deal. Report
August 25, 201412 yr comment_84884 Yeah I know what you mean. I think CoD:Ghosts is like 49gb on my system alone, and I already own a bunch of games. Then start throwing in all the free to play games like Warframe and Way Thunder, and downloadable games and your disk is full. That's why the 2TB is definitely a necessary upgrade. The one i linked to was only like $88 which is a pretty sweet deal. Would it be crazy for me to wish that new console run on standard HDD found in stores, you know, like how PCs run. Report
August 25, 201412 yr Author comment_84885 Would it be crazy for me to wish that new console run on standard HDD found in stores, you know, like how PCs run. The PS4 does though.... runs on a standard laptop size HDD really. You just plug it in, insert your USB with the system software and you're good. It's not proprietary like the Xbox is. Report
August 25, 201412 yr comment_84886 The PS4 does though.... runs on a standard laptop size HDD really. You just plug it in, insert your USB with the system software and you're good. It's not proprietary like the Xbox is. That's nice to know. Kinda sucked that the 360 can't do that, especially the old models. Report
August 25, 201412 yr Author comment_84887 Yeah, it's a great feature for the Sony systems (PS3 could do it also). I'm pretty sure that the new Xbone can also upgrade it's hard drive in a similar fashion, I'd have to look however. Report
August 25, 201412 yr comment_84888 Yeah, it's a great feature for the Sony systems (PS3 could do it also). I'm pretty sure that the new Xbone can also upgrade it's hard drive in a similar fashion, I'd have to look however. Apparently you can but not easy.http://www.geek.com/games/you-can-replace-the-xbox-one-hard-drive-but-its-hard-1577953/ Report
August 25, 201412 yr Author comment_84889 Apparently you can but not easy.http://www.geek.com/games/you-can-replace-the-xbox-one-hard-drive-but-its-hard-1577953/ Not only that, but doing the upgrade apparently voids your warranty completely with MS (which is friggin stupid). Sony actually encourages upgrading the HDD. MS wants you to never open the system. Report
August 25, 201412 yr comment_84890 Not only that, but doing the upgrade apparently voids your warranty completely with MS (which is friggin stupid). Sony actually encourages upgrading the HDD. MS wants you to never open the system. Here's to the the list of reasons why I went towards PC. If you ship something to me with a terrible *IMO* storage capacity and a void warranty if I want to upgrade, then good bye. Report
August 25, 201412 yr comment_84892 Sony still kicks ass though They do make good products but still not getting a "next-gen" console.Not after spending nearly 2k on an entire new rig. Report
August 26, 201412 yr Author comment_84899 They do make good products but still not getting a "next-gen" console.Not after spending nearly 2k on an entire new rig. Well yeah, 2k on a rig is going to obviously perform a heck of a lot better than a $350 console lol. But for the money there is a hell of a lot of perfomance they squeeze out of those things, not to mention it's still within it's first year life cycle. Look at the release games for PS3, versus something like Last of Us. It's astonding. Anyways, new HDD should be arriving today. Now I just have to carefully pry it out of the enclosure and hopefully don't fuck anything up lol. Report
August 26, 201412 yr comment_84905 Lol bf4 plus expansions is almost 100 gb. If I tape 6 orignal 360 HDDs together will it work? Report
August 26, 201412 yr comment_84906 Lolol. Only if you use spatial tape, the kind used by the vogons to hold all their paperwork together. Report
August 27, 201412 yr Author comment_84916 The surgery was a success. Was a little nervewracking cracking open that enclosure for the drive that I ordered, but it wasn't too bad. Took all of about 15 minutes total. Soooooo happy with the extra space, and I notice a slight speed increase in loading times with the new drive. Report
August 30, 201412 yr comment_84949 Bet it would be great to stick in a SSD in a PS4. It is nice to be able to upgrade the hard drive in a Playstation. Report
August 31, 201412 yr comment_84952 Hybrid drives are awesome, almost as good as full ssd at a fraction of the cost. Report
September 3, 201412 yr Author comment_84965 Bet it would be great to stick in a SSD in a PS4. It is nice to be able to upgrade the hard drive in a Playstation. Looking at the various actual testing for load speed times on the SSD's vs a regular drive, I honestly felt the incredibly few seconds that were gained were totally not worth the extreme extra investment. As for the hybrid drive, also it seemed pretty comparable to the regular drives as well, only gaining a few seconds and only after using it for awhile so the flash memory (hybrid part) could recognize what was being accessed most. I also stayed with the 5400 RPM drive to stay in line with heat and such within the device since that was what it was built for originally. Plus the 2TB has super dense platters and when tested actually performed faster than the smaller ones originally tested. *shrugs* Your mileage may vary I suppose, and if you have the money to blow on a huge SSD then go for it. I wanted a ton of space and stay within budget and I'm not disappointed! Report
September 4, 201412 yr comment_84975 I can speak from experience bro, you will notice a difference with a hybrid drive. I put a momentus in my ps3. The notoriously long install for gt5 took me about 5-7 minutes. Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.