December 19, 201312 yr comment_81601 It's a verrrrrry long story about why I need luck, but long story short is my grandfather who is in a nursing home that I visit a few times a week to play chess and stuff gifted me his fully restored 1932 Plymouth Coupe. There is a ton of family drama and in-fighting (my mom is the first of nine kids), and the car has been sitting in the lobby of one of my uncle's business. i'm going to my attorney's office today at 12:30 and him, my mom and I are travelling up to get it and flatbed it back to my house to stick in my garage for the winter. I'll post some pics if all goes well. Report
December 19, 201312 yr Author comment_81603 Good luck that would be a sweet car. Yeah, it's fully restored. I honestly can't wait. Report
December 20, 201312 yr Author comment_81609 Ok so here's the deal, I wasn't able to get the vehicle yesterday but it wasn't a complete bust. So my attorney, mom and I drove up to get the vehicle. Like straight up surprise repo deal because of everything going on. The vehicle is located within my uncle's business in kind of like a "showroom" sort of thing. We had called the local police to meet us there in case there was issues because we had all the the paperwork, the old registration of my grandfather's, power of attorney, etc. My mom and I dropped off the attorney at the front and went to park on a side street. Attorney and the police guy walk into the building to ask for my uncle and were told by the receptionist that he wasn't there and was out on "extended medical leave". This was humorous because my uncle's car was parked in their lot. Anyways, the receptionist was shaking in her boots and claimed that she knew nothing about the vehicle and didn't know where it was (it's in the back showroom lol). We couldn't go back and get it because we don't have a court order to enter the property to get it. Attorney already planned ahead on this though so we left and drove right over to the local courthouse to serve papers for lawsuit, etc to get the vehicle. Long story short we have a court date on January 21st to get a judge to allow us in for the vehicle. Drove over to my uncle's attorney's office to give him the court paperwork and he was pretty pissed lol. Basically my grandfather owns two vehicles he is gifting away to me and my cousin (cousin gets a beat up 78 cadillac el dorado that needs a lot of work). Another of my uncle's who bought my grandfather's old house originally had signed stuff to buy the house AND both vehicles but never paid my grandfather for the vehicles and renegged on the cars saying he never wanted them. This was last year and grandpa was pissed. I had offered to BUY the 32 Plymouth and had the money for it but he didn't want the money and gifted it to me for Christmas. So yeah, now I just have to wait for court. There is a lot more to the story but I'm too lazy to type it all out at the moment. Hooray lol. Report
December 21, 201312 yr comment_81620 Ugh... sounds like a mess. Either way cool that you are likely to end up getting it. Better be pics coming Report
December 22, 201312 yr comment_81643 Its stuff like this that make me glad im an only child. Like my wifes grandfather told me before he passed....youll see how close this family is the day my wife and i pass Report
December 23, 201312 yr comment_81644 Sorry to hear they are being a pain about it. Good luck with all the legalities. Report
December 23, 201312 yr Author comment_81647 Yeah honestly it's a ton of super drama, but I'm pretty sure everything will work out by the end of January. Possibly even before then if my uncle doesn't take things to court (which he has no grounds for anyways lol). I will ABSOLUTELY post pictures when the car is in my possession. Report
January 24, 201412 yr Author comment_82210 Court had been moved to today. Court was cancelled today lol. The Judge apparently recused himself (not sure why yet exactly). What I DO know is that my uncle who has the vehicle in his business (see above) apparently now is suing my Grandfather for "storage fees" to the tune of 10k in response. He's claiming they had a "verbal understanding" that he could keep the vehicle in his business and supposedly it was eventually going to be given to his adopted kid (who's like 11 right now). Yeah.... lol. No paperwork, no valid claim, etc. He's got no leg to stand on. On top of that, if that was really true then why was a different uncle who bought my grandpa's house had in the original purchase agreement that he was buying the 2 antique cars also (we have that paperwork). Long story short with that as well is that he never paid my grandfather for them and then sued to get them removed from the contract saying "he never really wanted them anyways" and never agreed to it haha. Yeah, my extended family ladies and gents. Still waiting on that car though. Don't know when the next court date will be yet as we have to file more motions now! Report
January 25, 201412 yr comment_82242 Indeed a mess. Seems your uncle just wants to drag it out to be an ass. Report
January 25, 201412 yr Author comment_82243 He definitely is Dat. It's all a whole clusterfuck moneygrab on that whole side of the family between them all. My grandfather talks with me about it frequently and it makes him quite sad. It's hard to listen to but I try to be there for him as much as I can since no one else really spends time with him. Report
June 11, 201412 yr Author comment_84000 Well I finally actually went to the DMV yesterday and completely registered and insured the vehicle. I have license plates and everything for it now, so sometime this week or early next I'm going to make the trek back up to try to get the vehicle again with a police escort. We'll see what happens! Report
June 11, 201412 yr comment_84009 Considering you have the registration, it shouldn't be too difficult as long as the VIN matches. Good luck. Report
June 12, 201412 yr Author comment_84020 Yeah, everything matches up. I have copies of my grandfather's vehicle registrations back like 15 some years, plus the old plate surrender form from the DMV from the last time he turned in his plates. Now it's just a matter of logistics really and seeing how much of an ass my uncle is going to continue to be. Report
October 31, 201411 yr Author comment_85557 lol it's seriously been like a YEAR this has been held up in court! Another court date on Nov 17th though haha. Geeeeesh. Report
November 1, 201411 yr Author comment_85588 Well they have no leg to stand on. They're just trying like every trick in the book to try to hold things off and block the proceedings and push them back. Basically they're just wasting their time and mine. If nothing happens on the 17th I'm serving them in court with a suit for Conversion, including retrieval of property and punitive damages and court/lawyer fees. Report
November 3, 201411 yr Author comment_85604 So the court date on the 17th is on a completely unrelated matter regarding other stuff with my parents and my grandfather's estate and stuff with my grandmother who is still alive (again, that whole side of the family is messed up as heck). Just talked to my attorney and my uncle who has the car must have gotten a heads up from his attorney about the incoming paperwork regarding possession of the vehicle and my uncle "refused" the certified mail. Blaaaahhh. Definitely going to get a process server and serve him directly IN COURT while he is there so there is no way he can refuse it. Report
November 4, 201411 yr comment_85619 I work for a garbage company....just saying if you need to get rid of something. Wink wink Report
September 15, 201511 yr Author comment_88102 Holy necro-post revival. Stay tuned for tomorrow. Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.