Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gamercide

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Welcome back to Gamercide!

Anyway to get it start it up?

Featured Replies

  • Author

I assume its a full recovery, it was the only option to choose. I'm not worried about the files. I didn't use that computer, just the kids. They've just got their silly pics and stuff, and they won't care once it works again lol.

Its recovering now, got 17 minutes left!

  • Author

Well, it all got recovered fine. But I had a hell of a time getting internet back up running, and I still don't think its right. It didn't even ask me to sign in with my WEP code. I tried to install the program for the router, but the damn cd door is broken and won't open.

I am doing updates now, but its taking forever. I tried to download the virus protection from comcast, which was taking forever. Then it gets to a certain point and then shuts down because it says it needs runtime 3 which didn't complete downloading, and says to check my internet connection. I really wish I knew more than basic stuff about computers! I think I am just gonna have to find someone to figure it out. Let it give them a headache.

Oh, I was trying to set up a wireless connection. What is it asking for when it asks for the SSID? Is that the name I gave the router when I set it up?

  • Author

Thats what I thought it. But it was for setting up a wireless connection. I don't want to do that do I? I need to be able to connect to the one I've got in place. It won't even give me an option to search for wireless networks. I'm sorry I'm so clueless, thanks for the help.

Ok, first. If you need to open the cd door there should be a small pinhole you can insert a pin or paper clip into that will force the door open. Next, if the PC is asking you to setup a wireless connection then yes you do want to do that. It is attempting to connect to a wireless network that is already in place. If you can't remember the name then you will need to look it up on the router or get it off one of your other devices. Enter the name in the SSID field, then you may have to enter the protection type, but hopefully it will just ask for the WEP code you have.

Otherwise, if you have a network cable, you may just want to hook it directly to you router until you get all the updates. Once all the windows updates are installed it should actually give you the option to search for a wireless network.

  • Author

I didn't even mess with the stupid thing today. I had a killer headache from messin with it last night. I did set up a wireless connection, it didn't do anything. I just wanted to connect to the one I already had in place before the viruses. There isn't an option to search for wireless networks in range. And I know it can, because it was running wirelessly until the viruses. All I did was search for my network when she gave us the pc, I know all of my info for my connection.

I just have it hard connected right now. But idk if something is wrong with it or what. I cannot get comcasts antivirus to completely download. It gets to this point where it says it has to download the most recent miscrosoft .net framework, it runs for like 10 minutes, and then says it couldn't complete it and has to shut down, and says to check my internet connection and try again. After trying like 5 times with same result, I thought I'd just try to download the framework myself, which I did. It still closes up the same way. Idk what the hell to do.

I'm gonna ask around with friends and family and see if I can find someone with antivirus software I can use. I can't afford it right now. And if I let the kids get back on Facebook without it, I'm gonna be back in the same situation. So its just sitting shutdown.

Rose,

For antivirus I wouldn't suggest using what Comcast gives you (probably Norton, or maybe McAfee). They are both resource hogs and slow the computer down and increase startup time.

The antivirus I use is Microsoft Security Essentials:

http://windows.micro...rity-essentials

If I could plug another suggestion it would be Avast. I have never used it, but have heard good things about it.

http://www.avast.com/en-us/index

For finding your wireless network there are a fair amount of articles and videos that will show you exactly how to do it. Just be sure you search for one using your current operating system.

  • Author

Awesome Sky! I never thought to do a search for free antivirus, I didn't think there was such a thing. Thank you SOOO much!! I'll install it tomorrow.

  • Author

Ok, thanks GG. I would've gone with the Microsoft one, now I know not to. Ashley will have a fit, the computer will be usable when she gets home tomorrow. She thought she was dying lol.

so it's up and running again, i would also like to suggest using fire fox and getting ad blocker and no script as well. these will pretty much keep your computer safe on their own right. they are amazing tools to have. no script can be tedious but well worth it once you get all your sites you like set up. pk recommended it to me. also avast lets you install a feature on firefox so when you are surfing the web it gives you info on how trusted the sites are on how many votes etc. your computer will be locked down tight lol.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.