November 10, 201114 yr comment_47886 If you're in the market for new hard drives I would suggest waiting it out. Seems flooding in Thailand has caused major shortages in them.http://www.techspot.com/news/46128-flooding-causes-spike-in-hdd-prices-asus-might-run-out-this-month.htmlI actually was wondering what was up the other day. I was looking for two 2TB drives and couldn't find them anywhere for less than 140 bucks. Luckily came across a deal at best buy for 75 each. The prices I'm seeing for most have nearly doubled. I wouldn't be surprised if it effects the costs of laptops and prebuilt pcs. Report
November 10, 201114 yr comment_47888 It effed up my plans to build a new PC, I was looking at a 1TB HDD that was around 80 but last time I checked(2 or 3 days ago) it went up to 220. Report
November 10, 201114 yr Author comment_47896 I have some spare ones laying about. Nothing I'd trust long term but I can send it your way if you want one to get your PC up and going until the prices come down. Report
November 10, 201114 yr comment_47902 I have some spare ones laying about. Nothing I'd trust long term but I can send it your way if you want one to get your PC up and going until the prices come down.I knew something had happened. This also hit me hard. My 750GB seagate crapped out on me, i use seatools to fix the bad sectors but they come back... I went to microcenter and there were 4 HDs on the shelf, and a sign saying shortage of hard drives, LIMIT 1. Woah I need to find something at least 80 GB sata to back up my files or to make room for my steam games. Report
November 10, 201114 yr comment_47903 I'm good, I do still have a 1tb external and I think i'm going to just start with a 64 gig SSD instead of getting one down the line like I planned. Report
November 10, 201114 yr comment_47964 So..Taiwan is the only place that makes hard drives then? Report
November 12, 201114 yr comment_48057 I heard about this during class a few days ago... really sucks.At least I should be good for awhile... Report
November 14, 201114 yr Author comment_48120 Picked up my two 2 TB hard drives yesterday. Now to get that big 8 space RAID box ordered. Report
November 17, 201114 yr comment_48334 I was wondering why microcenter had a sign posted about a hdd shortage. I purchased an 80gb ssd for skyrim, but was sorta surprised by the news. Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.