August 13, 201115 yr comment_42448 I googled this question and couldn't find the answer. And I have been pondering on it for the past few months, I've even asked friends and family and nobody can tell me the answer. The question is.Why do dogs have jagged lips? Not all of dogs might have this but I know my dog and five other dogs I looked at all had jagged lips. Almost reminds me of an alligator. If you have a dog look at his lips, he should have these jagged edges and I can't seem to figure out why they have these. Report
August 13, 201115 yr comment_42449 gg wins for the most random question of the day. But in all seriousness, I have no idea, and now you have me wondering.[/ color] Report
August 14, 201115 yr comment_42468 I poked around my dogs lips, and she has them as well. They sort of look like little lip-coloured teeth poking up? I'm not sure they they have them. Report
August 14, 201115 yr comment_42469 I don't know gg, but when I found I'll be sure to let you know. Report
August 14, 201115 yr Author comment_42471 Yea thats it title little bumps poking up its driving me bats not knowing. Report
August 14, 201115 yr comment_42475 Why do goats have horns? Why do rats have less hair on their tails? What in the hell is up with the platypus? Evolution has no specific reason for every particular little feature of an animal.Science! Report
August 14, 201115 yr comment_42477 What in the hell is up with the platypus?You take that back bro!They may have something to do with providing a buffer between the upper and lower teeth. Part of the lip on my dog goes up between her canines when she shuts her jaw. It looks as though it stops them from rubbing and damaging each other. Maybe to protect the gum from all the stuff dogs put in their mouth? I'm not sure. I want to know now, too. Report
August 14, 201115 yr Author comment_42483 Yup and there is no proof that says it doesn't serve a purpose. That is why I asked, to see if I can find out........... Report
August 14, 201115 yr comment_42484 Yup and there is no proof that says it doesn't serve a purpose. That is why I asked, to see if I can find out........... Report
August 14, 201115 yr comment_42485 Skin Tags (Fibropapillomas)Question: I have an 8 year old bichon frise named Casper. I have written to you about him before. I am writing this time because he has a growth on his bottom lip. The best way I can describe it is by comparing it to a tick. That is what I thought it was when I first saw it. If you picture a tick flattened out, that is how this "growth" appears. The growth has a few pieces of skin growing from it, like little stems. It is hanging from his bottom lip and is connected only by a small piece of skin. It is dark in color. About as dark as his lip itself. I am very concerned that it may be cancerous. I realize the only way to know for sure is to get it biopsied, but I wanted to know if you provide me with some information before I take Casper to our vet.Answer: It sounds like you are describing a skin tag, also sometimes called fibropapillomas, skin polyps, fibrin tags or achrochordons. These are benign growths that are not cancerous. They can be confused with some forms of cancer, most notably keratoacanthomas (benign) and melanomas (often malignant). Most of the time, if these have a pendulous base, they are going to be a benign lesion. Despite this, when they occur on the lips or around the mouth it may be best to have them examined by a pathologist after removal, just to rule out the melanomas, since when melanomas occur in these areas they are more likely to be malignant. This might be an example of being overcautious, depending on the exact appearance of the sores, though. Your vet can help you determine the importance of having a pathologist look at the lesion after removal. For a more in-depth look at this topic, visit our page on Skin Tags on Dogs Read more: Lumps, Bumps, cysts, tags and odd skin growths in Dogs - VetInfo Report
August 14, 201115 yr comment_42490 The serrations are actually to aid in taste. They contain taste buds in the tips of each of them called papillae. Asked my brother, who is a vet. Report
August 14, 201115 yr Author comment_42493 The serrations are actually to aid in taste. They contain taste buds in the tips of each of them called papillae. Asked my brother, who is a vet.Awesome! Thanks.and to everyone else that said there isn't a point.face on you Report
August 14, 201115 yr comment_42517 Damn dogs. They get to smell better than us and now they have extra taste sensory? Well, WE SEE IN COLOR! BURN!lol Report
August 26, 201115 yr comment_43391 Damn dogs. They get to smell better than us and now they have extra taste sensory? Well, WE SEE IN COLOR! BURN!lolThey can also hear better Report
August 26, 201115 yr comment_43402 true that, but look at the tortoise... there are some that reached 188, lol. Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.