June 27, 201115 yr comment_39655 Came across a tidbit of America's early history last night. Something that I had never heard of, and was never taught in school. This is why I'm making this post. I want to see if any of us, no matter what age (wider the range the better), knew about it before reading this thread.Please reply in this thread, if you have heard of the "Culper Ring" or were taught about it in school. Don't google it beforehand. If you were taught this in school, it'd more than likely still be in your memory. It's that bad ass.Thank you. Report
June 27, 201115 yr comment_39656 Yes, yes I do know what it is. Wasn't taught about it in school though. Report
June 27, 201115 yr Author comment_39657 I think it's strange that we're taught Columbus discovered America, but not the Culper Ring. Report
June 27, 201115 yr comment_39659 There's tons of "history" we aren't taught that would be much more interesting than the things actually taught. Report
June 27, 201115 yr Author comment_39661 Agreed. Like the Knights of the Golden Circle. They'd show up in Disney movies and comic books, but not our history books in school. Report
June 27, 201115 yr comment_39664 I havent heard about it before. And I havent googled it whats the story? Report
June 27, 201115 yr Author comment_39668 I havent heard about it before. And I havent googled it whats the story?The best way to explain it, without typing up a whole crap ton of stuff, is to just watch this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0Atd23KzyERevolutionary bad asses. Took down Benedict Arnold before he sold away West Point, our final stronghold before British controlled New York. A woman Culper may have done it, too. Civilian women were used, and the British never suspected them of it, because women weren't supposed to have any sort of political thinking or ties. Turned their old world ideas against them, and it totally worked. lol Report
June 27, 201115 yr comment_39675 Now you have. Watch the video (AWESOME!) and research it. Interesting stuff. Should be taught in schools. Report
June 27, 201115 yr Author comment_39688 Now you have. Watch the video (AWESOME!) and research it. Interesting stuff. Should be taught in schools.Definitely agreed. It's American bad assedness at its finest. We should be proud of this heritage. Report
June 28, 201115 yr comment_39689 I've heard of it. Wasn't taught it though. I research history stuff all the time and I came across it. Report
June 28, 201115 yr comment_39690 I've never heard of it, though we don't learn about America, unless you do certain subjects, even then only a little bit between the wars.I agree about the history we are taught in school, though. Just know am I branching out and getting things myself, and there is a lot that we just walked by at school. Im a little homo for history. Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.