May 10, 201115 yr comment_37053 So there's a $100 off coupon for the PS3 for Powerup Rewards members (which I am, it's the $15 a year, Game Informer/ Edge Card subscription), and you could get the 160GB model for $200, or the 320GB model for $250 after that discount.I'm actually kind of tempted by this because of some of the exclusives I've heard about and want to try like Uncharted. Of course after the fiasco I'd not put any credit cards on it, and keep the account password different from anything else I have (or just play the fecker offline only lol).So, aside from the retarded security, would anyone who has one say it's worth it? Getting it would mean I have access to pretty much any game this generation, with me already having a 360, Gaming PC, and Wii. Though they may be announcing next next gen consoles soon lol.And is 160GB enough? 120 is plenty for me with the 360, being able to keep all my DLC/XBLA games and have a handful of games installed to it at any given moment, but I don't know how much space the PS3 takes with all the data installs. Report
May 10, 201115 yr comment_37055 I havent played mine enough to outright recommend it but I can say to get the smallest size hd. The ps3 takes almost any 2.5in sata hd so space upgrades are cheap. Report
May 10, 201115 yr Author comment_37056 Seems like it's Sony working with Gamestop to recoup some of their losses. If I got one, I would just keep it offline until I hear that Sony has added some intense new security measures to the Playstation Network. Report
May 10, 201115 yr comment_37057 $100 off is a good deal. I haven't played mine in forever. Well since Uncharted 2, lol. Uncharted 2 was my GOTY btw. Report
May 10, 201115 yr Author comment_37058 If I try to get one my only concern is, this deal is in-store only and while supplies last. This deal may be pretty popular, so I'll have to get lucky and hope they have one in stock still if/when I go. Report
May 10, 201115 yr Author comment_37063 Just go get one already. It has Blu-Ray!So does my PC. lolAnother question, among the games I'm considering getting, which one should I pick up with it if I get one? FFXIII (not exclusive, but one disc on PS3 version), Uncharted (hear nothing but good things about the series, and like the developer for Jak and Daxter), or inFamous (concept sounds pretty cool)?I have played (to completion) and loved God of War 3 and Metal Gear Solid 4, but I'll probably pick those up later on. Report
May 10, 201115 yr comment_37064 Do it, just pass on the online service altogther though, for obvious reasons. I got a 160Gb and it's plenty big enough. Like most people with both consoles, you'll probably end up buying your cross-platform titles on the PC or Xbox for the Live integration. PSN doesn't really have a huge library of killer downloadable games, so space limitations shouldn't really be that big an issue. Also, they do have some awesome exclusives, but Sony doesn't support many of them with post launch DLC, so again a 160Gb should be fine.The Blu-ray player is fantastic, I mean as good as anything else you could find on the market for the same price. It's awesome!FFXIII actually looks a bit better on the PS3, higher res than the Xbox version, better compression in cutscenes and the audio is in 7.1 if you have the hardware. The only drawback is some games and this is no exaggeration, can take upwards of an hour to install, which is just ridiculous. Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction is crazy fun. Uncharted 2 is absolutely amazing. Next to Crysis 2, God of War 3 is the best looking game on the market, it freaken blew me away, the scale is something you'll just never see on the 360, it's the end all be all when it comes to hack 'n' slash gerne. inFamous was alright, you might dig it if you liked Crackdown. Report
May 10, 201115 yr comment_37073 Do it, just pass on the online service altogther though, for obvious reasons. I got a 160Gb and it's plenty big enough. Like most people with both consoles, you'll probably end up buying your cross-platform titles on the PC or Xbox for the Live integration. PSN doesn't really have a huge library of killer downloadable games, so space limitations shouldn't really be that big an issue. Also, they do have some awesome exclusives, but Sony doesn't support many of them with post launch DLC, so again a 160Gb should be fine.The Blu-ray player is fantastic, I mean as good as anything else you could find on the market for the same price. It's awesome!FFXIII actually looks a bit better on the PS3, higher res than the Xbox version, better compression in cutscenes and the audio is in 7.1 if you have the hardware. The only drawback is some games and this is no exaggeration, can take upwards of an hour to install, which is just ridiculous. Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction is crazy fun. Uncharted 2 is absolutely amazing. Next to Crysis 2, God of War 3 is the best looking game on the market, it freaken blew me away, the scale is something you'll just never see on the 360, it's the end all be all when it comes to hack 'n' slash gerne. inFamous was alright, you might dig it if you liked Crackdown.See? Just go get it. It has Blu-Ray! lol Report
May 10, 201115 yr comment_37084 I have power up as well, but will pass on this one, I dont know if I would take a free one at this point. They still have " lots of explainin to do". Report
May 10, 201115 yr Author comment_37097 I have power up as well, but will pass on this one, I dont know if I would take a free one at this point. They still have " lots of explainin to do".For sure, but that's nothing against some of the developers who have made the exclusives I want to try. As I said, until I'm sure they have some great new security up, I'll keep it offline, or at least not include any important information, making an account with basic or fake information so I can receive updates for games. Heck, maybe I'll get some free games and content out of it if I somehow get into the "Welcome Back" program for having one. Report
May 10, 201115 yr comment_37118 for two hundo, i'd go for a 160. it's plenty of space, trust me. plus as posted above, you can upgrade the hdd yourself. even has a built in format tool....at least the old ones did, i guess they still do. i doubt you'd regret it, but i wouldn't go out of my way for the cash. it's worth two hundred spare dollars, but not two hundred scrounged dollars.rent heavenly sword. seriously, one of the best games i ever played. short though. the replay is kind of high just because it was an amazing game, but it's not like an online game or any dlc or anything. uncharted is awesome. not sure if it has any multi or not? Report
May 10, 201115 yr Author comment_37138 Just got the 160GB model. $268 after tax and 2 used games (which have their cases, and the discs look almost as good as new). They are Uncharted and Final Fantasy XIII. I almost got Little Big Planet and Uncharted, but I've played LBP on PSP already (and it was pretty good for a port).Now I have a list of games I want to eventually get for it, over time and most likely through sales. I could nab a few at the next big buy 2 get 1 free sale at Gamestop. In no particular order, and I'm sure there are others I may have missed:Little Big Planet (and 2 when it goes down in price, or maybe just 2 since I doubt there's much in the way of flowing narrative between the two)Uncharted 2 (after I inevitably enjoy the first, liking the developer and hearing such great things about the series)God of War 3 and Metal Gear Solid 4 (both of which I've beaten and loved, so I'll get them later)inFamous 1 (and 2 if I like it enough when it goes down in price)Heavenly Sword (the first game Ninja Theory made before Enslaved, contains equal amounts of Andy Serkis being awesome.)Ico/Shadow of the Colossus remastered packMAYBE God of War 1/2 remastered pack (though I have both already, and they still look pretty good, aside from some standard def fuzziness) Report
May 11, 201115 yr Author comment_37140 EPIC FAIL! Fancy HD console only comes with standard definition a/v cables, unlike the Xbox 360 that has both on a splitter. HOWEVER, I have an HDMI cable I can use. I'll just be unable to use my TV for multimonitor mode at the same time as I'm playing PS3 in HD. My primary use for multimonitor mode is for JTV chat while streaming games, anyways, and I'm not going to invest in the equipment required to stream console games anytime soon. So I'll just have to move the cable back and forth until I get a cheap HDMI cable off of monoprice.com. They're like $2 plus shipping, so I think I'll order one today. Still stupid the PS3 doesn't come with some form of HD capabilities though. Report
May 11, 201115 yr Author comment_37142 Well I will say one thing. About $5 for an HDMI cable off of MonoPrice isn't as bad as $20 for a rechargeable battery pack with a charger cable for your wireless controller on the Xbox 360 lol.The PS3 comes with a wireless controller with a built in battery, and a recharge cable (albeit a very short one). Report
May 11, 201115 yr comment_37144 Initial reactions besides cable fails?*edit- add me: PoseidonsBurritto. Report
May 11, 201115 yr Author comment_37145 Nothing really lol. I like the very basic utilitarian look of the menus if that counts, as opposed to having to navigate past all the ads on the 360 dashboard. Pretty much exactly like my PSP's menu. I'll start either Uncharted or FFXIII later and maybe have an actual impression for the feel of the system.Another good thing, since I went with the Tritton surround sound headset as opposed to Turtle Beach, I can use them on my PS3, and not just my Xbox 360. Report
May 11, 201115 yr comment_37148 Nothing really lol. I like the very basic utilitarian look of the menus if that counts, as opposed to having to navigate past all the ads on the 360 dashboard. Pretty much exactly like my PSP's menu. I'll start either Uncharted or FFXIII later and maybe have an actual impression for the feel of the system.Another good thing, since I went with the Tritton surround sound headset as opposed to Turtle Beach, I can use them on my PS3, and not just my Xbox 360.My turtle Beaches are just fine with PS3. They use blue tooth connectivity. Report
May 11, 201115 yr Author comment_37149 Add Me LOL see above.LOL sure, let me just stroll on over to the PSN headquarters and tell them to get it started back up. No, they'll have to convince me it's secure before I make an account on PSN. Report
May 11, 201115 yr comment_37150 LOL sure, let me just go to the PSN headquarters and tell them to get it started back up. No, they'll have to convince me it's secure before I make an account on PSN.When it's up. lol Report
May 11, 201115 yr Author comment_37151 My turtle Beaches are just fine with PS3. They use blue tooth connectivity.Well of course yours are fancy new ones. I'm pretty sure older models were designed specifically for Xbox. Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.