April 21, 201016 yr comment_4848 Apps that broadcast your location to every damn social media site. Apps like 4 square.I've warned people on Twitter about it a few times. Today was the most recent. It fell on deaf ears. It always does.Don't take my word for it, though. Just Google search "4 Square, robberies".I'm seriously not liking this generation. It's all about me, me, me. You need to know what game I am playing right now (Raptr) and where I'm at every second of the day. Why? Because I'm that interesting! No. No you are not. You really are not. No one cares, trust me. For the love of Deity, please consider what I've just said, and stop spamming social media.But PK, 4 Square could help you if you were ever robbed, kidnapped or hurt. The police could track your recent whereabouts and possibly help you. Maybe. It can also alert people to where you are, so that they could rob, kidnap or hurt you. They also know you're not home. They could take that opportunity to rob your house. It'd be worthwhile, too. They know you go to nice, fancy places, so you must have money. You broadcasted it all to 4 Square. They also know you like tech gadgets, like iPhones. Why wouldn't they rob you? Report
April 21, 201016 yr comment_4851 People that openly broadcast their exact location are just plain stupid. Why does anyone care where you are anyway? Report
April 21, 201016 yr Author comment_4852 People that openly broadcast their exact location are just plain stupid. Why does anyone care where you are anyway?That's the thing. No one cares but the person sharing their location. It's a "me" thing. Look where I am! That's why you get tweets about what people are eating. What package just arrived at their house. What my cubicle looks like. Look what swag this cool developer just gave me! Etc etc ad nauseum.It's a selfish period we're living in. We're only as good as the things we own, it appears. Report
April 21, 201016 yr comment_4856 Completely agree PK about people using all these apps to be self centered. Report
April 21, 201016 yr comment_4857 Being some one that still doesn't have a smart phone (I'll likely get the iPhone coming out in June) .. this whole social networking thing is just baffling to me. I really don't care about the stupid breakfast your about to eat or your ******** ******* kid at the play ground. I saw something like this and I thought it might be rather cool .. know exactly where to me your friends .. but the more I though about it the stupider it seemed. The whole reason around me getting an iPhone is mostly because of the Google map location and GPS. I have a horrible time with directions and finding my way around. Since I'm usually navigating Manhattan it would be rather convenient for me to know where to go to meet people. However .. I do not need to know excatly WHERE they are .. only how to get there. If I still lived in a small town like I did in Salmon Arm or hell even Calgary .. but Manhattan .. yeah it's worth to $200-$300 to have a something like the iPhone or Droid. .. Trust me guys .. none of you will no where I am or what I'm eating Report
April 21, 201016 yr comment_4859 Being some one that still doesn't have a smart phone (I'll likely get the iPhone coming out in June) .. this whole social networking thing is just baffling to me. I really don't care about the stupid breakfast your about to eat or your ******** ******* kid at the play ground. I saw something like this and I thought it might be rather cool .. know exactly where to me your friends .. but the more I though about it the stupider it seemed. The whole reason around me getting an iPhone is mostly because of the Google map location and GPS. I have a horrible time with directions and finding my way around. Since I'm usually navigating Manhattan it would be rather convenient for me to know where to go to meet people. However .. I do not need to know excatly WHERE they are .. only how to get there. If I still lived in a small town like I did in Salmon Arm or hell even Calgary .. but Manhattan .. yeah it's worth to $200-$300 to have a something like the iPhone or Droid. .. Trust me guys .. none of you will no where I am or what I'm eating Dang it... no more stalking Kev... Report
April 21, 201016 yr Author comment_4861 I just find it so bizarre. Mere years ago, we were very careful with what information we shared online. Dare I say, paranoid even. Not now, though. Now we put our full names into places like Facebook. We put them into reunion sites as well. Where does it end? Is it any wonder that identity theft is up?Protect yourselves. Don't share anything you wouldn't to a stranger you just saw on the streets. You don't know who is reading the information you supplied. Report
April 21, 201016 yr comment_4867 Dang it... no more stalking Kev...oh you can stalk me all you want .. here's what I do petty much everyday .. I wake up, I drink coffe, I sit at home, I look at internet porn, I wait till my wife comes home from work, I go to bed ... lather, rinse, repeat.but I agree with PK on this .. it's just baffling to me how everyone thinks their life is so glamorous and interesting that every single person needs to know what they are doing at the exact moment of every day. .. this is crazy, untrustworthy, stalker software.. it's rather disgusting to see it's being used. Report
April 21, 201016 yr comment_4868 I agree, I dont use facebook or twitter or anything like that if you really want to get to know me how bout calling and talking or heaven forbid come over and talk. I just dont like the disconnect between people now I mean its cool that you can talk to a bunch of different people but you really dont "know" who that person is. Report
April 21, 201016 yr comment_4871 I just find it so bizarre. Mere years ago, we were very careful with what information we shared online. Dare I say, paranoid even. Not now, though. Now we put our full names into places like Facebook. We put them into reunion sites as well. Where does it end? Is it any wonder that identity theft is up?Protect yourselves. Don't share anything you wouldn't to a stranger you just saw on the streets. You don't know who is reading the information you supplied.I wouldn't mind a stranger on the streets knowing my full name. Report
April 21, 201016 yr comment_4879 *Pogre is playing Final Fantasy XIII right now. Yeah, I hear you man. This is one of the main reasons I don't check Twitter so much any more. I used to get tweets on my phone, but after an assload of "status updates", it was getting downright spammy. Report
April 21, 201016 yr Author comment_4880 *Pogre is playing Final Fantasy XIII right now. I've been unfollowing people left and right that use Raptr on Twitter. Report
April 21, 201016 yr comment_4881 I have to agree. This is some stupid crap. I've seen the pleaserobme site before. I can't remember where I read it, but there was also an app/whatever site in the works (finished?) to broadcast your CC purchases. Mainly name brands that would rack in adverts. ie. so and so spent X$s at This Retail Shop. Either way, I like to keep my stuff pretty private. Aside from stuff like steam, that is a gaming application where you have complete control of when and how it tells you someone is gaming. I have a facebook account, but I only occasionally use it to keep up with distant friends. Report
April 22, 201016 yr comment_4886 I could care less if people know what I am doing... but I'm smart enough not to attract attention to myself. Report
April 22, 201016 yr comment_4907 Yep! Pay attention to your world and what's happening TO you while you are distracted with your latest iAwesome. One day you'll look up from that thing long enough to realize a lot has changed ...And not for the better. Report
April 22, 201016 yr comment_4908 I'm gonna i.m. every time I leave the house now pk... but in all honesty, there is two parts to hate here. 1, the non personal, automatic status updates. I don't follow to have a program tell me whats going on, I do it to follow you, and only you. 2, the every time I leave the house you know about it is just plain stupid. i'll admit to saying where I am sometimes, but usually it's a twitpic of something, and a lot of times I'm already back home by the time I post. (Also, at the moment, even if I'm gone, it's never empty.) I used to say more just what I was doing stuff, now, I think I'm just being a smart *** on twitter most of the time. And facebook, it knows the town I live in, that I'm a fan of not wearing pants, beavis and butthead, and other such things, that's about it. Report
April 22, 201016 yr Author comment_4913 And I clicked those pics each time you tweeted them. You're absolutely right. It's so impersonal now. Generic. Report
April 22, 201016 yr comment_4944 Probably well over 1k strangers learn my full name a week because of my job. I'm required to wear a badge that says who I am. Report
April 22, 201016 yr Author comment_4947 I also said a bit more about other things. Maybe you don't mind people knowing, or you're required to wear a nametag. But, how do you two feel about broadcasting your whereabouts, and when you're not home? That's where this thread started at. Report
April 22, 201016 yr comment_4954 I think broadcasting where you are is just asking for trouble. I use Facebook and am very careful on what exactly I post. I use it to reconnect with friends all over the country that have just as busy a life as I do. I was tempted to comment to a friend that it was unwise to post..."We are going on a long cruise and looking for a Kennel for the dogs" Lets see you will be gone for probably a week and your dogs won't be there either... Hmmm Rob Me! Report
April 22, 201016 yr comment_4959 I will usually make a post here and on other social networking sites when I go on vacation... but the best most people would know about me is what city I live in... and when you live in a town with almost 100,000 people that isn't giving them much to go on. Report
April 22, 201016 yr comment_4961 i never understood why people thought they should share that info. i let yall know, and guild know when im going on vacation but no one knows where i live in Colorado so not like anything will happen. Report
April 23, 201016 yr comment_5056 I get at least one new person a week following me on Twitter. It's weird because I don't even use that site that much, and my life is far from interesting! Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.