Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gamercide

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Welcome back to Gamercide!

Nook Color

Featured Replies

So, I'm possibly getting one as a graduation present. Who here has one? My main questions are, it's a good e-reader, and is it worth the investment? Also, what are some of the features on it that put it above the rest of the market?

I've got one and as an e-reader it is great. No doubt. The stock version has a few things I wish they would update, such as adding side loaded books to the bar at the bottom or even to the desktops. It is pretty functional as a light web browser as well. It has Pandora built in and can play MP3s quite well. It also is great for H.264 encoded videos. The screen is absolutely gorgeous and the build quality is 100% above my expectations. Overall construction is very solid.

Now, all that above is IF you leave it stock. If you root it and basically turn it in to an Android based tablet, it is an entirely different story. I have put my laptop away after doing this. I can do email, chatting, forum viewing, play almost any game from the Android Marketplace, the list just goes on and on. Just like most hacking though, it is a little risky. Meaning, B&N could push out an update to screw you up but have yet to do this. If you do want to hack it, be sure to get a 4GB MicroSD card for it so you can play around with Honeycomb.

All in all, I absolutely love it. Loved it before I hacked it, but man it's so much more awesome after. :D

  • Author

Spawn, is hacking it very difficult? Also, how is it compared to the Kindle? I am also looking at that along with a case and a gift card to buy some books.

Spawn, is hacking it very difficult? Also, how is it compared to the Kindle? I am also looking at that along with a case and a gift card to buy some books.

It's not difficult at all really. Just setting up the SD card and letting it do it's thing, with a few steps after that.

Take a look: http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Rooting

My mom has a Kindle and if all you are going to do is read books on it, that will be perfectly fine. I wanted a semi-replacement for my laptop though and the Nook Color fills that need quite nicely.

Can the Nook Color play videos? .. Also Spawn since you hacked you're Nook could you check if it can read the digital comics from Marvel yet? I played with it a bit during the Holiday season but with the hack at the time it wasn't able to read some Flash based websites.

http://marvel.com/digital_comics/browse/character/1009610/spider-man

Can the Nook Color play videos? .. Also Spawn since you hacked you're Nook could you check if it can read the digital comics from Marvel yet? I played with it a bit during the Holiday season but with the hack at the time it wasn't able to read some Flash based websites.

http://marvel.com/digital_comics/browse/character/1009610/spider-man

It plays H.264 encoded videos straight out of the box.

I am only running the stock Android build (2.1) that comes with the device. I haven't upgraded to Froyo or Honeycomb, which is when Flash was added, so no, my NC won't do the Flash comics (Like the one you linked).

EDIT: Just a quick screenshot of my Nook desktop. The background is one of the Live Wallpapers you can use on Android. And that's only the books I'm reading right now. I have a ton of books on there.

11-02-12-1.png

  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!!! =D

I came on the other day to check out how its going around here. First thing I saw was this thread in the side pain thingie (which was right before V Day). I had to decide if I wanted to get my Kinect Xbox off layaway, or an e-reader for my Valentines gift. And I saw this thread!!

I gtalked Spawn about the best e-reader to go with and decided on the nook color. But ultimately I got my Xbox off layaway right then. But.... on Saturday our tax return came in, and Sunday Shane got me the Nookcolor too. I LOVE IT!!!!!!

So anyways, just wanted to post and see if anyone wanted to swap email or whatever we need to loan books to each other. I only have 2 right now, and I have mainly been reading vampire type books. Was just a thought! =D

:wub:

.. your reading Vampire books? .. are you reading the Brian Lumley Necroscope books? I've only read the first two and boy are they violent, and awesome. My wife is a big fan of the series.

Brian Lumley

No, never heard of him Kev. I'll have to check him out.

Yeah, vamp stories are my fave! Have read Morganville series, Vampire Diaries, and am on the last one in the House of Night series. I only have the last 2 of the house of night on my Nook.

.. the Necroscope series are not the nice, sexy, PG-17 teen vampire stories .. these are highly violent, gruesome books. I think they are the best Vampire stories out there but if your turned off of people being tortured and ripped apart then steer clear of these. If not you'll really enjoy his take on Vampires.

no Anne Rice .. I don't like pretty boy vampires .. ..Nosferatu, Dragasani, Thibor .. THOSE GUYS are vampires .. or "Wamphyri"

I take it you've read all of Anne Rice then?

Me, or Kev? I have read some Anne Rice, but prob not all. I am thinking of reading the Sookie Stackhouse series (True Blood) next.

Does anyone wanna swap info to use 'Lend Me' feature?

I only have crime/murder/mystery/action books on my nook atm. I will advise when I have one you are interested in reading.

Me, or Kev? I have read some Anne Rice, but prob not all. I am thinking of reading the Sookie Stackhouse series (True Blood) next.

Does anyone wanna swap info to use 'Lend Me' feature?

I have read all of Anne Rice and I suggest you do the same. I have none of those on my nook tho'.

Yeah, I did a search on her earlier to see what all she had. I got a sample of a few to check 'em out. I know I've read the first one in the vamp chronicles, but its been so long, I'd have to re-read it (not that thats a bad thing, I loved the book). Theres so much I wanna read, I am having a hard time making up my mind where to start.

Rose .. ya gotta move up to big boy Vampires ... vampires that form a symbiotic relation with the human host, vampires that tear people apart while they are still alive and recreate monsters with limbs of dead humans .. ya gotta read Brian Lumley!!

Lol Kev... I like some romance in my books too. Its not "gore" that I am looking for in vampire books. I don't think I'd enjoy very violent books. I think I am gonna go with the Sookie Stackhouse (True Blood) series right now. Little bitta romance, little bitta action, a whole lotta s e x LOL.

Lol Kev... I like some romance in my books too. Its not "gore" that I am looking for in vampire books. I don't think I'd enjoy very violent books. I think I am gonna go with the Sookie Stackhouse (True Blood) series right now. Little bitta romance, little bitta action, a whole lotta s e x LOL.

Really have NONE of that on my Nook...LOL

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.