Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gamercide

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Welcome back to Gamercide!

Dumbass Quote of the Day – Treyarch’s CM Josh Olin Blames Gamers for the State of the Industry

Featured Replies

Call-of-Duty-Black-Ops-Shattering-Records.jpgWhile many websites who reported about this little gem of a quote from Treyarch’s Community Manager, Josh Olin, raved and agreed with him, there will be no brown stained lip action here.  In fact I find the following quote down right sad.

In an interview with NowGamer, Olin talks about Black Ops and the new map pack that released on February 1, First Strike.  At the end of interview that was going rather well, NowGamer asks, “What, in your mind, is the biggest problem facing the games industry today, and if you had the power, how would you fix it?” Olin’s response,

“Personally, as a community manager who lives in the media or social media world every day, I think the social culture of video games is moving in a more negative direction as technology and social media continues to grow. Rather than growing with it, the trend seems to be devolving. More and more gamers seem to forget what this industry is all about.

It’s a creative industry – the most creative form of entertainment in existence. Too many developers who try new things are getting burned by “pundits” and angry entitled fans who look to be contrarian, sometimes simply for the sake of being contrarian. The only thing this attitude aims to achieve is stunt that creativity and innovation even further, which is something that no rational gamer looking to be entertained would want to do.”

While I understand that some developers aim to please their fans and sometimes cave to newer gamers who play their games, that is not a reason to say that we forget what this industry is all about.  After all, we are the reason that every single one of you in the industry have a cushy job to go to when you wake up in the morning.  We are the ones that spend hundreds of dollars on a video game through actually buying the game and various amounts of DLC that either there wasn’t “enough” time to put it in or you just want to simply nickle and dime us and of course like little obedient pets, we buy and cry “thank you sir, can I have another?”.  To say that we forget what the gaming industry is all about is a huge slap in the face Mr. Olin.

Has anybody ever thought that when developers try to get “creative” and change things or add new things into an already just about flawless game that we simply don’t want them and just like the saying, “don’t fix what ain’t broke?” we don’t want you to change a thing.  However in the name of “creativity”, things are changed and in the end your fans that followed you through thick and thin are not happy and apparently we are forgetting what the industry is all about by asserting our unhappiness and sometimes rather downright disappointment for a game that just plain sucks.

For this quote and your reasoning behind it, Josh Olin, Community Manager for Treyarch, you receive the Dumbass Quote of the Day.

via NowGamer

View the full article

Actually he is right it is the gamers fault as much as the gaming companies fault. I've said over and over again if people stopped buying dlc then they would start making complete games. Game companies push out these 5 hour games that people go buy immediately there is no reason for game companies to make good games anymore because idiots keep buying these ****** games and the ****** content that comes with it. If i was running a gaming company I would be doing the same exact thing taking the suckers money.

Anyone else find the irony of Treyarch complaining about criticism on innovation? What exactly have they done that's "original" or "groundbreaking"? Their whole existence has been because of Infinity Ward.

0394158161.jpg

This was back when he was only following a handful of people, and somehow making it to his follow list was something important or something. He does it wrong. Robert Bowling (FourZeroTwo) follows back 27,272 people. Olin... a paltry 125. Yes, this did happen. He tried to sell a follow back. Who does that? lol

I severely dislike people who are way too into the social thing. For them, your cool status is dictated by your follow/follower ratio. It's the internet. Your cool numbers mean absolutely nothing.

Wow, the egotistical community manager from the least creative dev ever, who doesn't involve himself in community, is saying with his knowledge of community that the industry is not creative because of gamers.....

My head hurts.

"As a platform provider this problem is much graver and has much broader implications to Sony than it does to us," said Treyarch community manager Josh Olin. "To us, it's like, [the PS3 security issue] has implications on our game security but we built in a lot of in-game security that we were leveraging and utilizing so it was kinda like flipping on a switch for that. I remember the meeting after all the headlines broke, though, and we were like ‘well, I guess, it’s time to turn on the security for the PS3 now!'"

http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/call-of-duty-black-ops/news/treyarch-institutes-major-call-of-duty-ps3-security-crackdown/a-20110204135055781065/g-20100430155441848063

I kind of agree with him. I think part of his point is that whenever DLC or a new game sequel is released, all the fans of the game or the series immediately start bashing it, boycotting it, whatever...I remember this happening for many games I found to be enjoyable, but for some reason everyone else didn't. Usually (not always) the developers didn't just say "here you go, here's a half-assed release that we're going to throw at you." It does slow down creativity in my mind a bit.

I swear, I can't follow his statements. I don't know what it is or if it's just me. I have to reread his statements several times before I understand what the hell he's saying.

No Dat, it's not just you, lol.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.