Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gamercide

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Welcome back to Gamercide!

So Many More Games Should Be Like This!

Featured Replies

It's a multiplayer ban only, seeing as that's the only time you're forced to connect to the EA server. I think the idea is awesome, so maybe there will be fewer whiny little kids in multiplayer matches.

It's a multiplayer ban only, seeing as that's the only time you're forced to connect to the EA server. I think the idea is awesome, so maybe there will be fewer whiny little kids in multiplayer matches.

That is a good point! I like this idea now... lol

My personal viewpoint is this: whether it's right or wrong, it is the parents sole responsibility and decision of how to raise their child... not Society. While I don't think a young child should be allowed to play it, it shouldn't be by mine, or anyone other than the parents decision. Drinking can lead to bad decisions too, but do you want to be told what and where you're allowed to drink by the distiller?

C&C and I were talking about this via email a little earlier. I'm all for the freedoms of someone to play a game but it's up to the parents to be responsible to provide content that's appropriate for their children. Video game consoles/PC's shouldn't be electronic babysitters and I'm sure a lot of outcry is going to be by folks who are upset that little 10 year old Johnny can't eviscreate and potty-mouth a random stranger while daddy smokes an illicit substance while eating cheetos and gold farming in WoW.

......don't mind me. I didn't get much sleep last night.

It's a multiplayer ban only, seeing as that's the only time you're forced to connect to the EA server. I think the idea is awesome, so maybe there will be fewer whiny little kids in multiplayer matches.

And EA does have the right to restrict access to their servers.

  • Author

And EA does have the right to restrict access to their servers.

Exactly. And this is why I don't feel that it is a problem. No one can complain about it really with any shred of entitlement.

A parent can purchase the game for the child. A parent can decide to let their child play the game and be exposed to everything the single player has to offer. At the end of the day though it is EA's servers and they can make whatever rules they want or discontinue their availability at any time without any notice. It's all part of the EULA.

I fully stand by this. I truly do. As much as I generally hate on big companies like EA, especially for their stupid "Online Pass" crap, I have to applaud them on this. It's a step in the right direction.

My point was that it's a parent's responsibility to provide content that's appropriate for -their- child. Whatever that is, is the sole decision of that parent.

The jist of my (sleep deprived snark-filled) post, was that I'm sure a fuss will be made by parents who made the decision to buy a game that is rated Mature by the ESRB (and trust me I have my own issues regarding the ratings boards for Film/TV/Games. If you have Netflix and really want to be horrified, watch "This Film Has Not Been Rated.") for a child under the age for which it was rated. When the full capacity of the game is limited by the EULA due to the age of the gamer playing it (i.e. access restriction to multiplayer on EA's server), Mom/Dad is going to go ballistic because little Johnny or Susie is crying because he/she can't frag and say the "F" word online.

In some ways, it's also EA covering their own collective rears if you look at it from the reverse angle. ****** I hate playing devil's advocate.

As a parent of a current 12 year old, I do restrict what he plays, every M rated game I let him play I have played through first and if there is an option to turn off extreme content I do, if not and I find it objectionable he doesnt play example Halo series is rated M and no way to turn off extreme content I let him play that because I dont think the content is to extreme. I do like that EA is doing this as some things are not meant for children, I dont let my son just go online and play, to me that is the worst environment and he just doesnt need to be exposed to that, he will eventually I just dont see the need to rush it. I am all for them restricting what they want, for all the people who cry about choosing what they let their kids watch/play or dont play then choose to not buy the game and if enough people do that then EA or other companies wont add the same features in the future.

Leave the parenting to the parents. Bad or not. All this does is just encourage lying about age. At most they should base their lockouts around the parental control or ask for a parent to give permission first.

I kind of agree with this view too. Even I lie about my age when I don't have to because of those f***ing age gates.

The age gates are like, "Pls 2 tell us ur age cuz we no u not smart enough to lie bout it if you not old enough k?", then I'm like

3.png

And click the drop down box for year and scroll as far back as necessary to get past it as fast as possible. Apparently I was born on January 1st and am anywhere between 30 and 100 years old. XD

Freaking Steam has age gates on game's store pages when I'm LOGGED IN. wtflol

  • Author

Leave the parenting to the parents. Bad or not. All this does is just encourage lying about age. At most they should base their lockouts around the parental control or ask for a parent to give permission first.

I see where you're coming from, and I DO have mixed feelings over it all, but I still think this is a good idea. It's not like they're restricting the singleplayer content.

I think they have been doing this for a long while now. A 12 year old probably shouldn't play this game, but I don't think they should be able to just ban you from playing after they have your money for buying the game, especially if your playing on XBL which is another additional cost.

Games are usualy rated "MAture" - "Teen" etc, for a reason.

If rated M, then its most probably not suited for a 12 year old.

when i was young, playing GoldenEye 64 was "violent" and not for childs.

now if only halo could get this.

Personally, I'm mixed. I've always played games beyond my years when I was younger. Halo 2, GoW, GTA...being born in 1991 plays the mood on me.

In a way i feel bad because I loved playing online games on the Xbox when I was young(er). I started on live a few months after it was launched playing unreal, NBA 2k3, and tom Clancy.

Now, being 19 I hate kids playing these games because they are annoying. So I always laugh when I see a parent buy their game for them...I would go longer in this post but leaving work but you see my point, right?

i may acc play the multi now.....theres no way id let my 12yr old play this game, but the choice should be the parents not EA's

I think as long as the parent understands their child and how mature there shouldn't be a problem. Children mature at different rates and ages. Thats not too say just buy the child the game and leave it at that, but it should be the parents decision on what their child should play.

Leave the parenting to the parents. Bad or not. All this does is just encourage lying about age. At most they should base their lockouts around the parental control or ask for a parent to give permission first.

im with dat on this one. while i do like the idea of not running into a 12 year old screaming into the headset while im brutally murdering people online its not a company's responsibility to do this. when i was 12 i was definitely not playing these types of games, i was playing some shooters but they were rated T for teen. I know many of us were playing M rated games and buying them long before you were 17 too. The bottom line is that if your parents let you play it then you can, despite how annoying you may be online.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.