Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gamercide

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Welcome back to Gamercide!

Favorite Retro Title

Featured Replies

What is your favorite retro title?

Mine is Robo Warrior on NES.  I wrote a review for it that was published in a retro gaming magazine (an online one but still).  Great game that I have been playing since I got it right around it's initial (only?) release on NES.

  • Replies 51
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Earthworm Jim!

Which should be coming to Xbox LIVE Arcade here soon, if I recall correctly. :D

*Edit: NOOOoooo!!! Say it ain't so! Does anyone have confirmation on this?

Intellivision

B17 Bomber

Dungeons & Dragons

Sega Master System

Action Fighter

Alex Kidd in Miracle World

Sega Genesis

Toejam & Earl

Hard Drivin'

Super Nintendo

Street Fighter 2

Super Mario World

PC

Fallout 1 & 2

Dark Sun

Doom 2

X-Wing & TIE Fighter

hmm. This is a hard one. What qualifies as retro? Is there a certain date? Does it have to be out of production? I'd say one of my favorite for the SNES was Super Mario RPG. For the PC would be a very underrated game called Starsiege. However, it's still hard to decide.

Definitely a tough question, but if most 2D games apply, then I'd definitely have to include Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 1-6 (especially 6 :) ) in my list of favorite older games. Heck, if Playstation 1 games apply, Chrono Cross was amazing. Beautiful music, great story, lots of characters, overall amazing RPG and sequel to Chrono Trigger.

As for truly retro games, I don't know, I never really played them that much, but I guess Rampage was pretty fun.

i liked after burner. when i was a kid, our movie theater had the one where you sit in the cockpit and fly. awesome.

Definitely a tough question, but if most 2D games apply, then I'd definitely have to include Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 1-6 (especially 6 :) ) in my list of favorite older games. Heck, if Playstation 1 games apply, Chrono Cross was amazing. Beautiful music, great story, lots of characters, overall amazing RPG and sequel to Chrono Trigger.

I'm glad to see this. A lot of people say Chrono Trigger, but I loved Chrono Cross... Dirty secret though, I never finished it. My memory card crapped out I'd say about 5 to 6 hours from the end. I really need to go back and complete it one day.

hmm. This is a hard one. What qualifies as retro? Is there a certain date? Does it have to be out of production? I'd say one of my favorite for the SNES was Super Mario RPG. For the PC would be a very underrated game called Starsiege. However, it's still hard to decide.

Hellz yeah, I used to love Super Mario and the Legend of the Seven Stars. Did you ever intentionally overstay at the hotel for like a week so you could work as a bellhop? Good times lol.

Hellz yeah, I used to love Super Mario and the Legend of the Seven Stars. Did you ever intentionally overstay at the hotel for like a week so you could work as a bellhop? Good times lol.

lol, yes! that was awesome. I think I loved everything about that game. I emulate it from time to time just to see it again, and my brother actually has it still with his SNES :)

lol, yes! that was awesome. I think I loved everything about that game. I emulate it from time to time just to see it again, and my brother actually has it still with his SNES :)

-tu

Well you should definitely replay and finish Chrono Cross sometime. Simply beautiful game. Either get a new PS1 memory card (dirt cheap) or play it on a PS2 or early backwards compatible PS3.

its a very tough question to answer, and dont think i could pick one as my favorite over all others. but one game that comes to mind that i always loved

Battletoads%201.jpg

its a very tough question to answer, and dont think i could pick one as my favorite over all others. but one game that comes to mind that i always loved

Battletoads%201.jpg

WTF?! No way did you beat this? This is like the hardest game ever. If you did I want video or it didn't happen! This game frustrated the hell outta me. ( Though I may be thinking of the SNES one. I'm not sure. surfboarding through super fast levels ring a bell?)

WTF?! No way did you beat this? This is like the hardest game ever. If you did I want video or it didn't happen! This game frustrated the hell outta me. ( Though I may be thinking of the SNES one. I'm not sure. surfboarding through super fast levels ring a bell?)

no i never beat it, in fact i never even owned the game. however i had friends who had the game and i always loved playing it. i dont remember how far i ever got but it was fun everytime i played

I didn't choose Chrono Cross, because I've never played it. =P

Blasphemy! I personally think that it was actually better than Chrono Trigger in many ways. Chrono Trigger was a little bit more (relatively) mainstream (not that it wasn't very unique for it's time), with Chrono Cross getting even farther out there, but it's all the better for it with it's intriguing back story.

Check out this intro, man!:

Also check out some of it's soundtrack on Youtube if you want. Really good stuff.

That looked cool Kev! Is it hard to get? I want to play that!

Can't think of enough fancy words to say how amazing/beautiful the game was, I'd highly recommend it. You can get it at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co...71381415&sr=8-1

It's a Playstation 1 game, so you'd need a PS1 or PS2 to play it. I'm actually not sure if PS3s, even backwards compatible ones, can play PS1 games.

The graphics aren't quite as good as that intro of course, but they're still pretty good considering it mostly uses static art backgrounds like Final Fantasy 7-9, allowing for some pretty good looking areas for a PS1 game. It's a sequel to Chrono Trigger and it definitely continues in it's spirit of innovation. It has a pretty good battle system with a bit of depth to it which might take a little getting used to (like an element field that makes spells weaker/stronger based on what the last few elements used were), and there are no damn random encounters (you see all monsters in the field first). Decent length too at 2 discs, with a neat story throughout, with lots of cool mysteroius elements to it.

Get it! (lol, That whole paragraph sounded like what you'd see on the back cover of the game, didn't it? :P)

Also, sorry if I'm getting your thread off-track, Triverse, I can make a separate Chrono Cross thread if you want.

EDIT: Not sure about the shipping, but it's $16 new here:

http://www.pcmall.com/p/product~dpno~316896~pdp.ccceibh;jsessionid=AB174E09CADAE700DB8F4B11708DBA85

(thanks to the Firefox Invisible Hand add-on)

I have a PS2 slim that I let my niece have on loan. She's had it for over a year now...lol...I need to get that back! $18 isn't too bad...Thanks!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.