December 13, 201015 yr comment_25323 I hope it's a new engine. When did Oblivion come out, 2005? They would've had plenty of time to make a new engine. Report
December 13, 201015 yr Author comment_25325 Screw making one, they have Carmack and id in their stable of developers. USE id Tech 5!http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id_Tech_5 Report
December 14, 201015 yr comment_25332 I think a new engine would be nice, but the old engine can still do some pretty damn amazing stuff. If you don't believe me I'll load up Oblivion and stream it with some of the modding community enhancements. With a few tweaks it still has lots of potential. Plus, I like the idea of them using it and thus having all the time to spend creating the game and not having to make a new engine from the ground up. Though the ID Tech wouldn't be so bad either Report
December 14, 201015 yr comment_25337 Screw making one, they have Carmack and id in their stable of developers. USE id Tech 5!http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id_Tech_5Yeah but apparently the new one is well catered to making open-world games like Elder Scrolls and id Tech 5 is more so for great visuals and a linear sort of area. That's apparently what they're saying and why they're making a new engine. Report
December 14, 201015 yr comment_25338 I'm still ecstatic they've finally announced this, the happiest I've been for a new game probably since Halo 3. Report
December 14, 201015 yr Author comment_25341 Yeah but apparently the new one is well catered to making open-world games like Elder Scrolls and id Tech 5 is more so for great visuals and a linear sort of area. That's apparently what they're saying and why they're making a new engine.I don't know about all that. Tech 5 doesn't use cloned images, repeated over a map. "There is no procedural mapping in Rage”. "Essentially this means that Rage will not have the same types of textures and mountains spread-out through the world of Rage." Unlike Oblivion, where each cave looked and felt the same as every other cave. Same with all the swamps, ruins etc. Don't get me wrong, I liked Oblivion. Just didn't feel like the Elder Scrolls I was used to. Felt scaled back in too many ways. I want this new one to not have any limitations. I. Want. Levitation. lol Report
December 14, 201015 yr comment_25344 Limitations such as levitation shouldn't be attributed to the engine. They could have made it work. There were plenty of very high vistas in Oblivion. I believe the scaled back feeling of Oblivion was more from the transfer to voice acted dialogue. I think using an upgraded version of the same tech is a good idea to let them expand the game world and story. The ID Tech is a great idea, but you're very unlikely to see non cloned textures. The implementation still requires a static prebuilt very high resolution texture. Which is feasible on PC with practically unlimited disk space, but the space requirements for those size textures in a open world of TES sizes will be huge. Unlikely to fit well onto DVD media and thus pose a problem for consoles. Report
December 14, 201015 yr Author comment_25346 They said they couldn't make levitation work, since the game wasn't using one cell. They used a bunch of smaller ones. Which is why if you 'jumped' out of a towns walls, you'd fall into this sort of anti world, where there was nothing but a false ground. Report
December 14, 201015 yr comment_25348 Yeah, the interior cells(and exterior city cells) would have posed a problem, but they could have just added limits to those worlds, or cell warps when passing out of the wall. Was a choice they made to simplify it for themselves and the hardware that was available. It should be a problem easily remedied with updates to the same engine. With tweaks to the engine there is no reason the hardware today couldn't handle those cities in the exterior world Report
December 14, 201015 yr Author comment_25349 I'd still rather have the newest Elder Scrolls, with a new engine like Tech 5. I thought Oblivion was pretty ugly, especially the female models. I also disliked that they had like 4 VO actors for each sex, other than special AI.Oblivion did not get the same attention as Morrowind, and it showed. There were no hand placed item to stumble across. You found everything in chests or containers. There was no real reason to explore the game world. Just go to point A, kill B and return to C with D.I think a new game engine, would clean the slate and hopefully get them back into what those games used to be.Also, Gamebryo has gotten me stuck (literally) in two different games. I don't like that engine. Just saying. lol Report
December 14, 201015 yr comment_25350 I guess it's simply different perspectives. Gamebryo on the PC wasn't what it was on the console. The rare times you ever became stuck had console commands to get you out, and for looks there were tons of mods to increase the beauty. I agree that it wasn't the game Morrowind was, but it also wasn't the technology leap that Daggerfall to Morrowind was either. I agree they need to get back to the hand crafted and time intensive world they built out of Morrowind, but they don't need a new engine to do it. Examples of what modders can do and could easily be done with TES V:http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c209/dev_akm/oblivion/QTP3_official/ba05.gifhttp://www.oblivionmodwiki.com/index.php/Tamriel_NPCs_Revampedhttp://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/images/5175-5-1192864282.jpgNow, nothing can be said about the voice acting. That was the killer for me. Aside from the very few voice actors was the shortened dialogue. Everything was simplified in order to make every line of dialogue spoken. That I would like to see improved upon as much as the next. Report
December 14, 201015 yr Author comment_25351 Mods to make it look better, yeah. Anything can be made to look better with mods. Why not start off with them looking good? lol Personally, and in my opinion, I believe Gamebryo limits the game. You can keep on tacking new stuff to the engine, but in reality, building or using a new one is the better way to go. When has Beth ever listened to their fans, though. Look at L.A. Noire. Would a souped up Gamebryo be able to do all that? Sure there's other technology in that process, but the faces and body models are excellent. They have access to Tech 5. I don't see why they don't use it. Most of the fans are tired of the way Gamebryo looks and responds. It locked up on me in the last three Beth titles I bought. Morrowind, Oblivion and FO3. Sure, other games have as well, but not as consistently as Gamebryo. Report
December 15, 201015 yr comment_25474 I haven't had as many problems with the engine from the PC perspective. Those user made mods would be in effect an improved engine. They could have those same looks right of the bat with upgrades to the current engine. I don't honestly have a problem with them releasing something new, but I do see the problems they could have with implementation. A new engine would be just that. They would still have to design their level editor and modding tools and create a scripting system to work with it. I would rather see them create their own new engine from the ground up than use a prebuilt tech other than the current Gamebryo. Report
December 15, 201015 yr Author comment_25476 Unless Tech 5 had versions already in the engine. Then they'd just need to retool it to fit their purposes.I want a new engine. I don't like the current one they've been re-using for such a long time. Report
December 15, 201015 yr comment_25477 A new engine would be great, and if they've been developing this since shortly after Oblivion than even better. It's the time that is more important than anything. Seems they probably have had enough to do it though. As long as that new engine is mod friendly then it's a non issue. I just worry they will have problems implementing a prebuilt engine with good modding tools. The thing about the Gamebryo engine is it was built to create the worlds. I don't want to lose that with a new engine. Report
December 15, 201015 yr comment_25478 It's been nearly 5 years since Oblivion, I'm sure they've been babying this and will make sure it will be the best possible Elder Scrolls game possible. Report
December 15, 201015 yr Author comment_25481 It's been nearly 5 years since Oblivion, I'm sure they've been babying this and will make sure it will be the best possible Elder Scrolls game possible.If they keep shortchanging it like they did with Oblivion, it won't be. May look pretty and have a cool story, but the basic elements that made their games great (Morrowind), will be missing. It was four years between Daggerfall, and the time they announced Morrowind. The amount of things to find in Morrowind, is staggering. To add to that, many of it was hand dropped in places you had to search for. They didn't do that for Oblivion, and I doubt they'll do it for Skyrim. That makes me sad.It could end up good, never know. I just know I'll be upset if they take out further spells, weapons and armor classes. Report
December 15, 201015 yr comment_25482 I hope they also keep the pc and console versions tuned to that system instead of gearing it all towards one in the UI department.Also hope the cities will be more like Better Cities for Oblivion. Lovely. Report
December 15, 201015 yr comment_25509 Apparently they had been building this new engine before they merged with id and had access to id Tech 5.According to this interview at least. Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.