February 23, 201412 yr comment_83039 Well, I just feel like ranting a little bit. I went downstairs last night to watch a movie, and my HTPC blue screened and refused to boot. Said screw it and went to bed. Got up this morning and found out it was bad memory. Had a couple of older sticks laying around so I put them in, started the RMA process on the new ones and then thought I'd watch something. Well, when the memory went it also took out major portions of the registry, and after about an hour I finally managed to get it to boot again. Things were still jacked up, no DHCP, half of the services wouldn't start. Ran all the error checking things I could think of and everyone failed to fix it. So now I'm attempting to do a repair install. Stupid RAM! Report
February 23, 201412 yr comment_83042 Wow, that sucks! It seems like every problem I've run into with my PC's it's been faulty ram. Hopefully the repair install fixes the issues. Report
February 23, 201412 yr comment_83045 I've been noticing this a bit around the web lately from other friends. Hope you get it fixed, man. Report
February 23, 201412 yr Author comment_83047 Still a work in progress. I should have just reformatted. Now it is working, but windows update isn't. Report
February 24, 201412 yr Author comment_83057 If they take sick pleasure watching me waste my day fixing a stupid computer, then yes. Report
February 24, 201412 yr comment_83061 Windows update is a buggy mess even without memory issues. Best of luck to you man. Patience is hard for me when it comes to crap like this. Report
February 24, 201412 yr Author comment_83064 I spent most of the dateranoth screwing with it. I can get most updates to install but not everything. I've tried just about everything. Might try uninstalling them all and starting over or just reinstalling windows. Though, I have half a mind to say screw the updates. Report
February 24, 201412 yr comment_83068 "I spent most of the dateranoth screwing with it." LOL. Your days are called Dateranoths? That's an amazing autocorrect. Sorry to hear about the issues though. I'm rebuilding my computer as soon as I have the funds due to similar issues. Report
February 24, 201412 yr Author comment_83069 Lol. So amazing I didn't even notice it. Technically I did spend my personal time doing what would otherwise have been gaming or dateranoth time. Haha. What are you going to buy? Report
February 25, 201412 yr comment_83073 My current setup has started BSoDing regularly and I'm not sure if it's the RAM, mobo, HDDs, corrupt windows installation, or what. I'm thinking it's the motherboard since I sometimes have random shutdowns from trying to use the messed up front USB ports, and have had times where the disc drive will disappear, only to return later. I'm cannibalizing the -Nvidia GTX680 Superclocked graphics card -SB Recon sound card -1000w Modular Power Supply -and maybe the DVD+-RW burner that also read blu-ray from my current computer.And I got -the 8GB stick of ram I ordered (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T63BJM/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) (I'm not putting it in my current comp because more RAM seems to make the BSoDs come faster) -and have an awesome mid tower that I found for $80 on the way (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006I2H04I/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) I will need to get -new motherboard/CPU combo for sure, but I'm not quite sure what I want to get. Leaning towards a hexacore i7 (very pricy) or an octacore AMD CPU (less pricy but still up there), because I've always liked having so many cores on my CPU. -New hard drives. I'd like to get a 120GB+ SSD for the operating system to be installed on and a 1TB or 2TB HDD for everything else to be installed to. This looks sexy too, but expensive: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GSJ9X4Q/ref=amb_link_396759842_2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=right-3&pf_rd_r=1J0DDYMT5XE2NJ4XSAKE&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1685288042&pf_rd_i=507846 -Possibly a watercooler for the CPU that works with that case. I'm also not sure if I can reuse my Windows install disc or not, if having it currently installed on my old PC will mess anything up. tl;drI'll reuse my GPU, PSU, and maybe disc drive, have a new 8GB stick of ram, and will need a CPU, mobo, an SSD/HDD combo, and would like a new water cooler for the CPU. Report
February 25, 201412 yr Author comment_83075 Some advice, grab another stick of ram. Almost any CPU/motherboard combo you buy is going to be dual channel. Some are triple channel. You'll cripple performance if you just use one stick. For CPU there isn't anything wrong with amd. It's often a good bang for the buck. However, if you have the money I suggest spring for a higher end Intel and good mobo. With the current state of processors you can get years out of them before you upgrade. As for SSDs I have to recommend the Samsung 840 if you can find it or the 840 EVO. EVO is better, but the 840 should be cheaper if they're out there. I also have to strongly suggest at least a 250GB SSD. Not only do they usually perform better, you'll like being able to have some games installed on it. Enjoy the build! Report
February 25, 201412 yr Author comment_83086 http://m.tigerdirect.com/products/8466637 it's a mobile link but a good deal on the 250gb EVO. Report
February 26, 201412 yr Author comment_83099 I've never had an RMA replacement come directly from the Assembly plant before. haha 10:33 pm In transit TA YUAN HSIANG TW 10:12 pm In transit TA YUAN HSIANG TW 6:38 pm Picked up TA YUAN HSIANG TW 1:12 am Shipment information sent to FedEx Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.