July 21, 201313 yr comment_78716 So, just need to rant a little bit. Time Warner Cable recently took over my town's cable provider Insight. I finally get their first bill, which is broken down. I see a service charge for 4.95 a month for Home WiFI. Turns out, like two years ago, when I upgraded my internet speed they dropped off a wifi router. I told the guy I didn't want it, but he said just hang on to it because there was no charge for it. So I did, and my bill said WiFi Router 0.00 . WELL, this entire time they had been using that to add a WiFi fee of 4.95 a month to my bill. It was bundled with my service cost, but now TWC has broke it down and I saw it. Spent an hour on the phone today trying to figure out what it was. They kept telling me that it was just broken down and that it use to be included. That it was part of the Internet cost and couldn't be dropped. I own my cable modem, and I don't need their damn router. Anyhow, I finally found this: Question:Why am I receiving monthly charges for an Internet Modem Lease as well as TWC WiFi Home Networking? Answer:The Internet Modem Lease charge is specifically for the device that brings Internet connectivity into your home. The TWC WiFi Home Networking monthly service charge is an optional monthly service that allows you to connect multiple devices within your home to the Internet via the TWC modem. The monthly Internet Modem Lease charge is for the equipment, and the monthly Home Networking service charge is for the service that allows you to connect multiple devices. The above was buried in their online FAQ. OPTIONAL CHARGE for using the WiFi on their GOD DAMN modem. I opted to buy my own modem a long time ago, so what do they do?! HERE take this fucking WiFi router you don't need and let us secretly charge for the WIFI SERVICE! FUCK. So pissed off. Anyhow, the guy finally admitted, that oh, yeah, it is optional, so just return the router and we will have the charge removed from your bill. I could literally eat someones beating heart from their chest right now. Fucking assholes. Report
July 21, 201313 yr comment_78718 Comcast does the same exact thing. They tried telling me their service to me wouldn't be as strong if I 'tried' using my own equipment. I said, "surprise, I've been using it this entire time. The only time my internet connection suffers, it's on your end. Like when you say there is no maintenance in my area, despite me seeing the Comcast van down my road.". It took awhile, but I finally stopped receiving those charges. I look over the bill extra sharp now, too. Report
July 21, 201313 yr comment_78721 Saw this awhile back... this doesn't surprise me either.http://consumerist.com/2013/07/08/do-cable-companies-deliberately-make-it-hard-to-return-set-top-boxes/ Report
July 21, 201313 yr Author comment_78722 Oh, I'll rage and do something about it. Pretty sure it's tactics like these that cause people to snap. Report
July 21, 201313 yr comment_78724 I'm sure cable companies even pay others off to turn a blind eye to their crappy practices. I can't think of a cable company I have ever liked after our local mom and pop cable company got bought out by comcrap Report
July 21, 201313 yr Author comment_78728 I was wondering today, after talking to two different cable reps on the phone, if they are outright lying or the cable companies just don't tell them the entire truth. I could see the low level call center employees never being told all the real policies so they can't help customers even if they want to. Report
July 21, 201313 yr comment_78731 I was wondering today, after talking to two different cable reps on the phone, if they are outright lying or the cable companies just don't tell them the entire truth. I could see the low level call center employees never being told all the real policies so they can't help customers even if they want to. Probably why customer service takes a hit... reps don't know anything because they are not told anything nor have access to anything. I have probably lost count of the amount of times I've called just to be told that what I want to to requires a supervisor and the supervisor just so happens to "not be there"Making your front line to customers look stupid though ignorance or lack of information is never a good strategy. However most communications companies seem to invest the least in "communicating" with their customers. Report
July 21, 201313 yr Author comment_78735 I'm going to go Wednesday and return everything. Hopefully it won't be too big of a headache. I would have already dropped cable except my internet, but my wife likes to have the channels. I will drop both boxes and try the cable card route next though. I really really wish there was an alternative internet aside from DSL around here. Report
July 21, 201313 yr comment_78736 Its not just cable companys man.....everythings a pain in the ass to drop nowadays. My wifes grandfather died....i spent two hours with Assholes on Line....rep kept telling me he needs to call...lady hes friggin dead. Another good one is Planet Fatass. I couldnt take the place anymore so i wanted out. 3 fukin months to quit....called em every monthbi got charged...got told 3 times i never called to quit.... Report
July 22, 201313 yr Author comment_78740 Seems to be the way these companies work. Put it on a credit card and pay on time? Great! We will take advantage of that if you ever try to leave. Report
July 22, 201313 yr comment_78751 I have told you guys this before. I stream tv and have found Netflix, Hulu Plus and my newest addition Crunchyroll to be all that and more. $23.97/mo for all three vs $100/mo for cable TV. My advice is to switch now and never look back. Drop them like you would Xbox live. These fools are in panic mode. Drop the TV part of cable and show them with your wallet. They have been hounding me for the last couple years to sign back up. Constant offers in the mail. Their newest tactic is offering what appears to be some amazing rate but comes with a 2-year contract! Hell no! They have never offered contracts before. This just confirms that they are in panic mode attempting to retain people. I have so many stories to tell about my cable company but I will spare you the disgusting details. I had the same modem bullshit and more. All that said they have few to no competitors and I am stuck with them for internet. Its the only service I have them for and when a service like google fiber or whatever comes to light I am gone in a heartbeat. Its not just cable companies its the dish companies like Direct TV as well. They are even worse in some ways. Report
July 22, 201313 yr comment_78762 Yeah lol. I get those "we want you back and here's a tremendous deal for just you" cards all the time. It's even more funny, since there is cable TV coming to my house. I dropped it, but my roomie picked it back up under her name. Report
July 22, 201313 yr comment_78773 Yeah lol. I get those "we want you back and here's a tremendous deal for just you" cards all the time. Every...Damn...Week...It is annoying as hell and I'm about at the point where I would just love to call them and give them a piece of my mind... I DON'T WANT CABLE OK!!! Not gonna happen Report
July 23, 201313 yr comment_78776 I paid $180 for cable internet and phone. Now I have 50 mbps (supposedly) with netflix, amazon prime, hulu, and magic jack plus for less than $85 per month.... Throw in nfl rewind and its still less than $100 per month. Report
July 24, 201313 yr comment_78817 My cable would be $50 a month if i paid. I got a shut off notice over a yr ago. I know they cant find my house to cut it off. GPS my house it takes you to the Mass end of my road that for the last 50 yrs has been a dead end....they used to meet....oh well not my prob Report
July 24, 201313 yr Author comment_78836 If I had another decent internet provider I would drop them. For now, I have my new switch in, so the router is going back to them. Then I get to spend who knows how long getting them to drop those fees. Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.