Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gamercide

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Welcome back to Gamercide!

Going Camping for a Week

Featured Replies

So I'll be going camping for the 4th of July as usual. I leave tomorrow morning and will be back in about a week. See ya'll later. :)

Oh, and I need someone to rant about anime and post overly long comments in threads while I'm gone to maintain order in the Gamercide universe. Any takers? :P

Well I am cashing in my change jar hopefully today. If you win anything you will have a nice surprise when you get back.

Have fun man.

  • Author

Don't get mauled by any bears!

Eff those bears. If a bear comes after me I'll punch it in the butt and make it run away. And THIS TIME I'll remember not to follow the bear as it runs away, so that I don't get led into a larger group of bears. ;)

Haha thats awesome, but have fun kevin. I trust your RDR skills will transfer into your outdoors skill?

  • Author

I'm sure I've talked about it before, but it's really just a grassy camp area for trailers and boats just a ways outside of a major city (Tracy, CA). It's by the delta (a large river system), and is a pretty decent sized place.

GABCAerial98-700.jpg

I'm going camping too for the first time next week. I may die

Why are you traveling all the way up to central California, only to camp on the delta? There are so many better places to go. Hope you don't swim in the water, either. It's been polluted by fertilizers and pesticides for decades.

If I was driving all the way up here from SoCal, I'd hit the Russian River, or the Yuba.

Anyways, have fun and see you when you get back.

  • Author

Why are you traveling all the way up to central California, only to camp on the delta? There are so many better places to go. Hope you don't swim in the water, either. It's been polluted by fertilizers and pesticides for decades.

If I was driving all the way up here from SoCal, I'd hit the Russian River, or the Yuba.

Anyways, have fun and see you when you get back.

I live in central California, it's not that far. I live in San Andreas, so it's only about an hour and a half away. It's really my parents that go every year, sort of out of tradition. Where in California did you think I lived? lol

  • Author

Thought you lived in SoCal. Like Anaheim, L.A. etc.

You should plan next years camping trip, dude. Seriously. I can help you, too.

Well it's really just a small event with my family. We know the people there etc. etc. and only stay for about a week. There's even electricity, it's like light camping lol. And the water's not that bad. They have a shower facility at the camp, too, if you are paranoid about it after swimming/boating.

I guess it would be cool if you could recommend a couple other places in this thread, but I'm not really a big camper, it's just something traditional my parents do.

  • Author

(hypothetical)Where are you going camping PK? Oh that place? It sucks because it's full of dirt and leaves and rocks and smells bad and there's all kinds of better places I could tell you about that you don't have to drive all the way from Oregon to get to (you live there, right?).(/hypothetical)

:D

A few years back, we RV camped. After that, I was sold. Never setting up another tent, ever. It's also nice to wash your dishes in a sink, instead of a faucet or river water.

A 3 day rental on an RV is pretty cheap, I hear. You can sleep 3-4 very comfortably.

If you do ever consider it, I'd suggest the lava tubes at the top of California. There's a nice camping circuit up there. Visit the awesome tubes for a day or two, then wind back down and camp on the various lakes and rivers the last few days. The lakes have beaches that are maintained and really nice. The one that we hit, even has a shower and outlets for charging personal devices.

Here's a few pictures of the California Lava Tubes. Tossed in a few pics of the closest lake camping site and its beach. That's my dad and my son in the pictures.

lavatubes3.jpg

lavatubes1.jpg

Lavatubes.jpg

Lavacampsite.jpg

Lavabeach.jpg

RV camping is really nice. Can't say enough about it. Very easy to bring your bikes, too.

*edit* No I do not live in OR. I live in California. My family used to have a cabin on the Sacramento River. My cousin and sister got extremely ill one summer, due to the river. Bacterial infections. That's why I brought it up. I have grown to hate Sacramento and its river.

  • Author

My parents have a truck and toy box trailer. They put a bed in it, and I usually end up pitching a big tent that glows at night with my brother. I don't mind tenting at all, at the campgrounds, as long as I have a comfortable sleeping bag and the air mattresses.

Also, my dad loads up three quads in the box, which he, my brother, and I, use in the dirt area in the back of the campground.

I cannot fathom how people camp outdoors without a trailer or RV, in the dirt, with tents only, crapping in the woods, etc. etc. etc. lol

That place does look pretty neat, though, but it sounds pretty far for how far we usually travel, especially due to my mom's medical conditions now.

You can head up there with some friends sometime if you liked. It's got some pretty fantastic history. A small band of natives on the run from American soldiers, hid out in the lava tubes. The first pursuing soldiers were killed in an open fight above the tubes. Later on, embarrassed and looking for revenge, the army sent more after them. They hid down in the tubes for several days and eventually picked off that chase team inside the tubes. This got some commanders super upset, and they sent an entire regiment over, to block any exits. What they didn't realize was, that there are countless tubes up there, and many are connected. That small band of natives stayed inside the tubes and worked their way towards the lake on the Oregon/Cali border. Not all escaped, but most of the women and children made it out safely.

They also did it without light. They knew if they lit any fires for light, that they could be traced by the soot on the ceilings, and also by smell. So they did it all blind.

Pretty remarkable feat. One you won't read in any history books.

Sorry for hijacking your thread. I'll leave now. lol

  • Author

You can head up there with some friends sometime if you liked. It's got some pretty fantastic history. A small band of natives on the run from American soldiers, hid out in the lava tubes. The first pursuing soldiers were killed in an open fight above the tubes. Later on, embarrassed and looking for revenge, the army sent more after them. They hid down in the tubes for several days and eventually picked off that chase team inside the tubes. This got some commanders super upset, and they sent an entire regiment over, to block any exits. What they didn't realize was, that there are countless tubes up there, and many are connected. That small band of natives stayed inside the tubes and worked their way towards the lake on the Oregon/Cali border. Not all escaped, but most of the women and children made it out safely.

They also did it without light. They knew if they lit any fires for light, that they could be traced by the soot on the ceilings, and also by smell. So they did it all blind.

Pretty remarkable feat. One you won't read in any history books.

Sorry for hijacking your thread. I'll leave now. lol

image.jpg

That is indeed a cool story, bro. You ain't gotta go nowhere, this thread will mostly just be people saying "Later." or whatever. I'll at least find out some more about the Lava Tubes, maybe after I get back. Maybe we should have reenactments of the Native American's great Lava Tube escape in those caves in RDR? lol

It's a pretty crazy area. The landscape changes every few miles. My son collected about 20lbs of Obsidian. lol

When you get to the lava tubes, you'll first think "Uhh, where is it?". There's only a welcoming center and a parking lot (campsites are further down). Once you go to the welcoming center, you'll get a hard hat, a big 6 volt flashlight and a map. Without that map, you'd walk around in circles, finding maybe one or two tubes. Many are just a small hole in the ground, maybe with a chain around it.

It's very easy to get lost down there, too. If you're visiting up there alone, they offer a guide to go along with you. They don't want anyone down there alone.

Not too far away, you can also camp at sites that let you mine for opals and sunstone. Have to pay extra, though.

I'm going camping tomorrow for 5 days. I'm going to a big Music Festival called Oxegen. I can't see me surviving so if I haven't posted back by Monday, assume I've died or been raped.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.