April 13, 201313 yr comment_74622 New capture option releasing from Avermedia on April 15 exclusively through Amazon. It will allow direct gameplay capture to an onboard sd card (not included) without the need of a PC. MSRP is $179. This includes 3 months of premium xsplit. With the TimeShift function, you can easily jump back to any footage where you want to start recording. Missing outstanding footage will not happen again. The Live Gamer Portable provides the option of "PC-Free Mode", allowing you to record the gameplay without a PC. http://gamerzone.avermedia.com/products/live_gamer_series/live_gamer_portable/ Report
April 13, 201313 yr comment_74623 That's pretty awesome. I'm glad they are working with XSplit for immediate compatibility. Might be time for me to upgrade finally. Report
April 14, 201313 yr Author comment_74643 That's pretty awesome. I'm glad they are working with XSplit for immediate compatibility. Might be time for me to upgrade finally. I like the idea of pocket-portability for a capture device. The addition of pc-free capturing is a strong plus for me also. Unfortunately it still only captures at 1080p @ 30. Report
April 14, 201313 yr comment_74647 Ah, didn't read that. Does it have any problem sending 1080p 60 from game to tv? Report
April 14, 201313 yr Author comment_74689 Ah, didn't read that. Does it have any problem sending 1080p 60 from game to tv?Specs say it will do 1080p @ 60 with input/pass-through. However it also mentions under capturing that upscaling is not supported. Would probably only affect streaming via console, which I only do at 720 anyways. Report
April 14, 201313 yr comment_74690 Yeah. I don't have the bandwidth for 1080p streams, and even if I did, Twitch seems to cap me all the time. I wonder how well that would work using it in a loop to capture PC gameplay. Does the software have to be active to pass through? Report
April 15, 201313 yr Author comment_74699 Yeah. I don't have the bandwidth for 1080p streams, and even if I did, Twitch seems to cap me all the time. I wonder how well that would work using it in a loop to capture PC gameplay. Does the software have to be active to pass through?It needs to be with their live gamer hd, which is the same tech albeit its not portable. Granted with the hd variant, you can stream directly to twitch without the need for xsplit. I'm assuming the same will be the case with the portable version? I'll get mine Monday, so I'll know more then. Its basically replacing my bmi shuttle which for some reason no longer functions with my new mobo's? Report
April 15, 201313 yr comment_74704 I don't think the direct streaming works well for most. I don't think there's a lot of control with it. I just was curious if I could hook it up and stream my computer using the hardware to take some of the stress off of the pc while I was playing games. Report
April 15, 201313 yr Author comment_74715 I don't think the direct streaming works well for most. I don't think there's a lot of control with it. I just was curious if I could hook it up and stream my computer using the hardware to take some of the stress off of the pc while I was playing games.I've heard the same thing about direct to twitch functionality. Avermedia has made some strides towards a better experience thankfully. Also seems the pc-free mode only supports 720p. The OP seems to be confused about this, asking if it only supports an input up to 720p or if it will only output up to 720p in pc-free mode? Might have something to do with HDCP compliance? Pc-free mode also means you will need to have it plugged into either a ps3, 360, or a mobile battery for power. Comes with a special component cable for the ps3 & 360. Here is a mini review. Report
April 15, 201313 yr comment_74731 Seems like a pretty solid capture device. I rarely stream consoles anymore, but it would be nice if I could offload some CPU to the hardware for PC. Let me know what you think of it. Report
April 17, 201313 yr Author comment_74825 Had a couple of days to mess around with it; kinda mixed reaction so-far. Can't use hdmi due to hdcp on the ps3. Fortunately it comes with a custom component hookup to circumvent. No big deal since I was using component with my intensity shuttle anyways. It also comes with a very short hdmi cable, a special cable specifically for the ps3, cable for sound, and a usb cable for power. The real concern for me is the pc-free capture. At 16mbs capture setting, a half inning of mlb13: The show weighed in at a hefty 562mb. At that compression rate I doubt anyone could capture a full game on anything under a 100gb range sd card? That would add another $150 bucks to the total (128gb class 10 sd card). Since this was the only real reason I purchased, not sure if I'll keep it or not? I had my consoles running through my live gamer hd internal capture card without any issues. But because I cast with dual-pc's, I do have to switch cables around on the fly when going from console capture to pc capture when using the live gamer hd via xsplit. Here is a small clip of Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen Japanese Demo captured to an sd card at 16mbs @ 60fps on the live gamer portable. PS3 settings are 720p @ 60fps. Report
April 17, 201313 yr comment_74849 Looks pretty good, but nothing spectacular. Of course, if you are going to be uploading these then you likely would be compressing them down anyway. So most people aren't going to capture at 16mbps. At least it won't be necessary to capture at that bitrate. However, in your case, it doesn't really sound like you need it. You'd probably be better off with an hdmi switch. Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.