March 15, 201313 yr comment_72892 Google's stated reasonfor the ban is that the Android app allegedly "interferes with oraccesses another service or product in an unauthorized manner." Thispolicy is broad, vague, and arbitrary. It isn't clear yet how far Googleis going to go in censoring the Play Store. Are they just going totarget ad blockers? Ad blockers are not only useful and extremelypopular, but also currently the only way that Internet users can effectively protect themselvesagainst non-consensual third party tracking. Or is Google going tofollow the letter of its policy closely, in which case we would expectto see other useful privacy-enhancing technologies blocked from the PlayStore, such as the apps that control the permissions of other apps (for instance, preventing the Skype app from tracking your location or the Foursquare app from grabbing the contents of your addressbook) or a hypothetical future port of HTTPS Everywhere? 2 Read onhttps://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/03/google-censoring-android-apps Report
March 15, 201313 yr comment_72929 I read an article about this on TechSpot. The reasoning was the crazy part. Of course, the fact that Google makes tons of money with their ad program has nothing to do with it. Report
March 16, 201313 yr comment_72931 While I am not happy by the move... I can understand why Google would do this (it is their main source of revenue). I use adaway, and although it is not available on the play store, I can still get it though F-droid which is an alternate market for android apps that only accepts open source apps without any questionable permissions. http://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=org.adaway Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.