March 14, 201313 yr comment_72851 Was looking to purchase a controller to use for PC games. Preferably just one that I could plug in via USB, not very fancy, but would be compatible with or suit me for most games. Could someone point me in the right direction? Report
March 14, 201313 yr comment_72853 Wired Xbox 360 controllers work fine and are supported by just about all modern games that have controller support. There is also a device that can be used to connect up to four wireless Xbox 360 controllers to your PC at a time, but PK would be the one to point you in that direction, pretty sure he has one. Report
March 14, 201313 yr comment_72859 I picked up an Afterglow 360 controller from Gamestop for $25. It's a glowy blue one and it works really well. I was surprised honestly. I'd recommend it. Report
March 14, 201313 yr comment_72861 http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Gaming-Receiver-Xbox-360/dp/B003WFYZCY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1363266962&sr=8-2&keywords=360+wireless+controller+adapter I believe this is the one I use. The small driver disk looks like the one I have. Report
March 14, 201313 yr comment_72866 With the adapter, you can split screen in games on PC. Cheaper than buying a wired controller, if you already own the wireless ones that came with your 360. Report
March 14, 201313 yr comment_72870 Wired Xbox 360 controllers work fine and are supported by just about all modern games that have controller support. There is also a device that can be used to connect up to four wireless Xbox 360 controllers to your PC at a time, but PK would be the one to point you in that direction, pretty sure he has one.Indeed and hell... even the N64 emulator I have has 360 controller support. Report
March 15, 201313 yr comment_72894 There is also a program called MotionJoy with which you can plug in a PS3 controller via USB and have it act basically exactly the same as the 360 controller as far as Windows is concerned. I much prefer the ergonomics of the PS3 controller and I'd do that more on the few games that I use controllers for, but the PS3 controller is really weird about it. It doesn't seem to ever shut off afterwards, and the battery isn't removable. If you unplug it from the computer it will keep flashing until it either turns on your PS3 (you'd have to leave it unplugged to avoid this), or time ends, or maybe until the battery runs out. Whichever comes first. Report
March 15, 201313 yr comment_72926 I have to recommend the wireless adapter or the wired controller. The adapter is the way to go if you already have wireless controllers. 360 controller that is. Report
March 16, 201313 yr Author comment_72934 Sweet. Thanks guys. Ever had any issues with the wireless adapter? Saw a few reviews on Amazon and I was like ehhh Report
March 16, 201313 yr comment_72935 A few times I had to reinstall the driver manually, which isn't a big deal. However, it should automatically be found. I believe that's the issue most have with it. I've also read reviews where people say their internal fuse blows or whatever. I've had mine 3-4 years and it's still going strong. Even if it died tomorrow, I would have got my money's worth. Report
March 28, 201313 yr Author comment_73416 Just got this shipped in the mail...had a bit of a scare though. I bought a genric brand, not the official Xbox one. Finding the correct driver download off of the internet was a bitch...computer wouldn't recognize it at all. Finally got it working though, thanks. Played a bit of Half Life 2 with it. I really want to download Bioshock Infinite...but I'm not 100% sure my computer has the specs to run it. System RequirementsMinimum:OS: Windows Vista Service Pack 2 32-bitProcessor: Intel Core 2 DUO 2.4 GHz / AMD Athlon X2 2.7 GHzMemory: 2GBHard Disk Space: 20 GB freeVideo Card: DirectX10 Compatible ATI Radeon HD 3870 / NVIDIA 8800 GT / Intel HD 3000 Integrated GraphicsVideo Card Memory: 512 MBSound: DirectX CompatibleRecommended:OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 64-bitProcessor: Quad Core ProcessorMemory: 4GBHard Disk Space: 30 GB freeVideo Card: DirectX11 Compatible, AMD Radeon HD 6950 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560Video Card Memory: 1024 MBSound: DirectX Compatible My specs: Operating SystemGenuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit) Processor Intel® Core i3-2350M CPU @ 2.30GHz, 2300 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GBTotal Physical Memory 5.92 GBAvailable Physical Memory 2.43 GBTotal Virtual Memory 11.8 GBAvailable Virtual Memory 7.70 GB Edit: Graphics card shows up as 1696 MB total memory. Copied straight from system information, since I couldn't find my exact model online. Looks to me as if I might be able to scratch it, but not sure...any opinions? Report
March 28, 201313 yr comment_73417 Go here, type in Bioshock Infinite and run the scanhttp://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri Report
March 28, 201313 yr Author comment_73419 Says I meet every requirement except for "dedicated video RAM." Which is apparently lacking by a lot. Not sure how much of a deal that would be. Report
March 28, 201313 yr Author comment_73420 Which isn't making a whole lot of sense to me. It says I don't have a good enough video card for the first Bioshock game, but yet it says each spec for the video card meets requirements. And Bioshock is a few years old now, but does it really require less than 1/4 of the video memory of the new Bioshock? Seems weird to me. Report
March 28, 201313 yr comment_73421 Might be that you have an integrated videocard that uses shared memory. Report
March 28, 201313 yr Author comment_73422 That's a pretty big issue, isn't it? I mean, I dunno. I haven't played many games on my PC yet. Half Life 2 ran smooth as can be though. Report
March 28, 201313 yr Author comment_73424 Basically what I'm getting is...I am failing the test because I have integrated video memory. But when I bring up my info for available memory on the video card...it's saying about 1696 MB. The game requires of 512 of "dedicated" memory. But would my graphics card make a difference in that case since I should have enough memory to play the game? Report
March 28, 201313 yr comment_73432 Newer games need dedicated video memory. Things like virtual memory aren't constant and change as needed. Disk space can be used as virtual memory as well as RAM. By your video card having its own memory, it won't fail because there wasn't enough shared memory to process something. My second to last laptop had the same problem. It was a good laptop, but the videocard was integrated. It really sucks when you have all the right gear except for one little thing. This is one of the main reasons why I stopped buying laptops. If it broke down outside of warranty, it was cheaper to buy a new one instead of repairing it. Also, it's difficult to upgrade when you need to. I told myself, if I want to be a PC gamer, I'll have to be able to upgrade and easily swap out broken/outdated pieces. For me, that meant a desktop. Report
March 28, 201313 yr comment_73473 If its the hd 3000 or better series it will probably work, but it won't run great. Report
March 29, 201313 yr Author comment_73489 I'm looking around on eBay for something that might help me run games. Not quite sure what to trust though. Looks like in most cases I'd spend a pretty penny for even the slightest bit of dedicated gaming memory. Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.