July 31, 201214 yr comment_61147 Hello Gamercide - I've recently begun to notice that almost every channel on justin and twitch has a place to help-out casters with things such as computer upgrades, etc. I recently added one to my channel basically for shits-n-giggles. Helping someone maintain a stream that everyone enjoys is not really what I'm referring to. However I've noticed chip-ins for things like car insurance, meds, heating bills and even viewers furnishing an entire apartment. I personally don't care what people do with their money, but thought this would be a nice topic to discuss between ourselves? So what do you think? Are people milking the cow and taking advantage of people's overall good-will? Report
July 31, 201214 yr comment_61156 Honestly, if people are suckers enough to do it..then..more power to them.I'm not 100% sure of what you're talking about, but people are going to spend their money however they see fit.I'd be all for people giving me money for my car insurance and med bills Report
July 31, 201214 yr comment_61162 I think it's pretty selfish, they would be good for holding contests though. Maybe if they gave away a game at every $100 or something then it would be acceptable, otherwise I'm not there to pay to watch them do their thing. I can't afford the high cost of cable TV and that is exactly why I'm there. LOL. Report
July 31, 201214 yr Author comment_61168 There certainly seems to be opportunity to make money. I'm currently unemployed due to off-shoring so maybe I need to cast more, gather a viewer base, and get me some free stuff . I'm sure I could invent a hard-luck story about my failing health that would gain tons of sympathy. However it would be my luck I'd jinx myself, die, and my wife would hire a pool-boy with the money. Report
July 31, 201214 yr comment_61186 It is out of hand. Amazon wishlists, too. I see a lot of females on Twitter with them. Usually they add me, I check out their profile, get disgusted at their whore-ness and close out the tab without following back. Report
July 31, 201214 yr Author comment_61191 It is out of hand. Amazon wishlists, too. I see a lot of females on Twitter with them. Usually they add me, I check out their profile, get disgusted at their whore-ness and close out the tab without following back.The Amazon wish-list is how another caster was able to furnish his entire new apartment. They donated a new bed, lamps, dishes, everything. I need some of that lovin' Report
July 31, 201214 yr comment_61193 Did his username contain the word "Chicken"? He's the biggest leech on JTV/TTV. Report
July 31, 201214 yr Author comment_61195 Did his username contain the word "Chicken"? He's the biggest leech on JTV/TTV.Not that I'm aware of - It was Dansgaming. Dan has a large, devote following. Often thought he might be a cult leader Report
July 31, 201214 yr comment_61196 I think it's more upsetting to some of us because of what it goes against. When the gaming leagues and all that came in and even before people realized they could make money off of it. I find it incredibly annoying, but as was said before, if people are dumb enough to do it then so be it. It's a tainted feel, but oh well. I think there is potential there to make enough money from it to get by, but you pretty much have to be a complete sell out to do it. Which means, in short time, you'll be hating the hobby you loved. Unless of course, you are one of the many casters that are so self centered that it's for the attention and not the game. Report
July 31, 201214 yr Author comment_61197 ^^ That is true dat. I use to hang at another channel where the guy started out really kewl and humble. Like so many people are today, he was out-of-work and would watch his daughter to save on child-care while his wife worked. But, he would mention that fact every time the opportunity presented itself. Granted, he did cast on a regular schedule. Anyhoo, at some point the whole idea of his channel changed from having fun to acquiring as many viewers as possible. I guess it was for the partnership program or something? Although it doesn't affect me cause I simply stopped supporting him, it's pretty much what you are referencing when you talk about self-centered people. Report
July 31, 201214 yr comment_61205 That's pretty much it exactly. I don't have as much problem with people who got into it immediately to try and make money. However, the vast majority did not. They started humble and had a cool thing going then started taking advantage of their viewers. Report
August 1, 201214 yr comment_61211 If we (as a whole) are so strongly against it then we should change that. Let's do this chip in but instead for our own personal gain we donate it to a different charity each month, Report
August 1, 201214 yr comment_61217 If we (as a whole) are so strongly against it then we should change that. Let's do this chip in but instead for our own personal gain we donate it to a different charity each month,That's a great idea. I'd be down for that. Report
August 1, 201214 yr comment_61232 I haven't really noticed this much as far as "normal" streamers go, but I'm big into watching League of Legends streamers on Own3d.tv and Twitch.tv and the amount some of the guys get is absurd. One of the more popular streamers (TheOddOne, if anyone cares to get any more information) gets about 14k viewers every time he goes online. I'd say like 35 to 40k uniques and he pulls in well over $500 a month JUST from donations. Nevermind the stream ads. That must push him well past $10,000 a month. Report
August 2, 201214 yr Author comment_61310 I guess if I was going to take donations for something other than keeping my equipment updated, I'd probably just keep it to myself. Btw, I was not pointing fingers just referencing general circumstances Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.