March 9, 201214 yr comment_54596 Gamercide Android App ("Beta")Your favorite Grim Reaper, now for Android!Download Here!!Background:Due to a workforce reduction, my position as Programmer Analyst was recently eliminated. To sharpen up my Java skills from school I decided to start doing some Java programming again. One thing turned into another and I started learning the basics of the Android SDK. Then a few days ago, an idea for an app for the forums came up. I decided I would take what I learned and create an app that would fix some of the pet-peeves I had about our current mobile interface (sorry Dat. lol). First it was just a web browser, then I added a few bells and whistles, then it came to the point where I thought the app would be something worth sharing. After positive feedback to go forward with the idea I am now releasing an early version of the (if I can call it this) "Official" Gamercide App for Android.How to install:Click the download link above (From your PC or phone)If you downloaded the app from your PC, Place it somewhere on the SD card for your phoneBefore installing, be sure to allow your device to install apps from unknown sourcesBrowse for the .apk file for the app and select it (If you do not have a file browser on your phone, here is one I recommend)Press "Install"**Please Note**This app is in a "beta" stage as it has only been tested by me and I am unfortunately not perfect If you come across any bugs or force closes let me know and I'll do my best to fix them.Features:Custom post fontSet up by pressing the menu button, go to More... and Edit Post Font and enter the BBcode tags you use for your custom font and color (Default will be mine).You can copy your custom post font to the clipboard anytime by going into the menu and selecting Copy Font Settings.When replying to a post, paste your font code by long-pressing in the textbox and select paste.New ContentSet up by pressing the menu button, go to More... and New Content Settings and select your viewing preference (Default is 1 week).To view new content, simply press the menu button, then select New ContentCool shortcut!! - Simply press the search button on your phone and the new content windows will appearTitle BarOn the New Content page, your current view setting will be shown (ex. week)When using the private messaging system, the title bar will display "Personal Messenger"Cool Feature!! - When viewing a topic, the topic title will appear in the title barJump to last post in a threadWhen viewing a topic, there will be another menu option called Last Post. Title speaks for itself.Other featuresProgress barQuick navigation to board index via menu optionRefresh page via menu optionPressing the back button on the phone works just like pressing the back button in a browserExternal links (ex. Domains that do not belong to gamercide.org) will launch in the phone's default browserOptions to log in or navigate to the personal messenger can be access by going to the menu and selecting moreOther items I may have put in and forget to mention here (nothing bad, I promise! My memory isn't the greatest if I don't write stuff down) Screenshots:You want some screenshots? How bout these?Tech Stuff:Minimum Android Version: 2.1Permissions: android.permission.INTERNET (duh)Known bugs:If a thread has HTML elements in it (ex. <iframe>) some options will not work properly. This can only be fixed by leaving the tread that is causing the issue.Some topic titles will not be formatted correctly due to them being generated from URLs that contain escape characters.The login option under the More... menu will always show, even if a user is logged in. This is because I have yet to figure out a way to make the app aware that a user is logged in.Change Log:v0.9.2 - Fixed issue where forums would launch in browser instead of appv0.9.1 - Fixed occasional force close issue when starting app, fixed typo I noticedv0.9 - Initial beta releaseAdditional CommentsIf enough people like it and I am sure the app is stable, I may consider paying the fee to put the app on the Android Marketplace. Edited April 19, 201214 yr by Skylark95 Report
March 11, 201214 yr comment_54665 Really wish I could help test this, but I don't have a device that'll let me. Hopefully some members that have Android phones will step up and let us all know how it works.Thanks again, Sky. This is beyond cool. Report
March 16, 201214 yr comment_54861 No offense here Sky. The mobile skin is just the default that comes with ipboard. Looks like a great little app. Report
April 12, 201214 yr comment_56110 This could use a bump, and for those without an android phone the forum mobile skin has improved some with the latest update. Not as good as this app, but less frustrating than the previous skin. Report
April 19, 201214 yr Author comment_56566 Due to some website changes that were probably made by Dat, the app is not currently working properly. My guess it a hostname issue which is very easy to fix. Will have an update shortly. Report
April 19, 201214 yr Author comment_56567 Updated... only the most recent version will work properly. Report
April 19, 201214 yr comment_56568 Also, Sky is too humble to share this.http://www.howtonew.com/imgur-album-downloader-download-a-complete-imgur-album-with-just-one-clickHis app was featured on a website. Way to go, Sky! Report
April 19, 201214 yr comment_56583 Not sure how you are connecting with it, but I did make some minor changes last night. Forced use of www for cloudflare support. Report
April 19, 201214 yr Author comment_56584 Not sure how you are connecting with it, but I did make some minor changes last night. Forced use of www for cloudflare support.That would be it. The app checks the hostname to determine if a web page should open in app or in the browser. Report
April 20, 201214 yr comment_56585 Makes sense. I didn't want to force www but it's worth it for cloudflare and both urls still work. Plus I doubt many people pay attention to it. Report
April 27, 201214 yr Author comment_56810 https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.skylark95.gamercide&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5za3lsYXJrOTUuZ2FtZXJjaWRlIl0. Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now