January 28, 201214 yr comment_52792 In the ER I work in we screen almost everyone for HIV/AIDS. We have to because it's so common in the area. Anyhow, I was blow drying my hair (which of course for whatever reason led me to think about HIV/AIDS) and while Medicine is still making a ton of progress on the disease it still exists, it's still deadly and the only prevention is safe sex. Getting everyone to have safe sex is about as probable as living on the moon.\So I was thinking, one of the biggest problems with HIV is that a lot of peopel who have it, don't know it, and could be passing it around to unknowing sex partners. A lot of places offer free HIV testing but honestly, if you had no reason to suspect you had it, why would you bother?So I thought up of a simple solution. It should be mandatory to receive 1) Welfare (but it won't change your status on receiving it) 2) Drivers license/passport/ID etc 3) College admission.The testing is already free, it'd be confidential and the only purpose would be to make those who may be unaware, more aware.Thoughts? Report
January 28, 201214 yr comment_52795 Colleges do already require proof of certain immunizations so I couldn't see an issue with them asking for proof of testing. The other options would never fly. I can't say I disagree with the thought. I just doubt the public would go for it. Report
January 28, 201214 yr comment_52802 Yeah, I sorta agree with Major. No matter how good an idea it is, people wouldn't see it that way. They'd probably just see it as more goverment interference. Report
January 28, 201214 yr comment_52804 There are certain area's such as heath care occupation where screening belongs, however I don't think it should go as far as drivers licences. A healthy median between the two is what is probably needed.Even more so, I think it should be stressed in school more so than trying to add more regulation and screenings. My high school said nothing on the topic of safe sex (super Conservative private Christian school, so that is probably why), any in college it was advertised around campus and in bathrooms, but with the high ratio of students with STD's it was not as effective as it could have been.That's my two cents anyway... Report
January 28, 201214 yr Author comment_52828 I'm having a hard time seeing how it's invasive. It's not an illegal thing to have, and it wouldnt' be a published record, it'd just be for your own personal knowledgement. 20% peopel who have it, dont' now. Colleges require vaccinations so they know you're vaccinated against diseases that once wiped people out. Report
January 28, 201214 yr comment_52830 for one thing once you start in a general direction, the government never steps backward... only forward. compulsory ANYTHING from the government gets a no vote from me. it wouldn't stop with aids screening, and it wouldnt stop with just being an fyi type thing. your heart's in the right place, but with all sincerity.... FCK THE GOVERNMENT. Report
January 28, 201214 yr comment_52834 Nothing should be mandatory by the government, I understand the concept and it sounds like a good idea but it would just be another step further towards a not so free country. It's our duty as Americans to do things on our own, but we should also hold onto our freedom to be able to choose whether or not to do something. Report
January 28, 201214 yr comment_52840 I've always been touchy on this subject, my Grandfather was a hemophiliac and died from AIDS. Report
January 28, 201214 yr comment_52845 for one thing once you start in a general direction, the government never steps backward... only forward. compulsory ANYTHING from the government gets a no vote from me.it wouldn't stop with aids screening, and it wouldnt stop with just being an fyi type thing.your heart's in the right place, but with all sincerity.... FCK THE GOVERNMENT.This. It is a good idea, but in all honestly the gov't already has too much power in our lives. Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.