December 29, 201114 yr comment_51077 I've had my laptop for 4 days and already I have come down with a nasty virus/trojan/something. I have NO Clue where I got it, as I haven't gone anywhere I've never been before. Malware bytes keeps finding **** (5 to 6) a day and removes them but the virus is still there. (It's redirected all my webpages to porn and other nasties) I got malware, it's failed, norton has failed, and I'm about to try kaspersky. Other suggestions? Report
December 29, 201114 yr comment_51081 Microsoft Security Essentials?Maybe it got into your registry or something. That REALLY sucks Ava..... Im not too good when it comes to removal. Except doing a complete wipe of the system, reinstallation and re-doing everything I dont know what to tell you. Report
December 29, 201114 yr comment_51082 If it were my laptop, it was four days old and I had the OS... I'd format and start over. Then, before even going online, I'd install protection. Report
December 29, 201114 yr Author comment_51083 The thing is, The laptop didn't ocme with ANY disks what so ever. None. I don't know if this ws a mistake on their part but I have no OS to reinstall Report
December 29, 201114 yr comment_51085 The thing is, The laptop didn't ocme with ANY disks what so ever. None. I don't know if this ws a mistake on their part but I have no OS to reinstalli cant help with the removal part, but i do know that alot of times when you buy a pc/laptop from the store directly they dont inlcude the disc for the os. Your suppose to make a back up disc or something like that instead. I believe however you can get the os shipped to you from whoever made the laptop. They will probably charge you somethign for it though im sure Report
December 30, 201114 yr comment_51088 What brand and model laptop? Sometimes the OS installation files are included on the HDD. Report
December 30, 201114 yr comment_51093 If the virus hasn't got to it there usually is a recovery partition on the new laptops. You have to access it on boot with a certain key. Often f8 or f6. Or you can try windows restore and restore it back as far as you can. Report
December 30, 201114 yr comment_51097 I would try System Restore.If that doesn't work, try the following and I can see if there is anything unusual running in the background:In the start menu search for "cmd.exe", right click it, and run as administrator.Enter the following command in the window:tasklist > C:\tasklist.txtThen go to "My Computer" and browse the C: Drive for a file named tasklist.txtPost the contents of that file here and I can see if there is anything strange listed. Report
January 3, 201214 yr Author comment_51331 it's a toshiba. I found someone with a windows 7 disk and jsut ended up wiping everything out and reinstalling the OS. Wayne found the source of our virus (our router?) and got rid of the router so I won't be able to use the laptop until wed at the earliest when an ew router comes in Report
January 4, 201214 yr comment_51339 You should be able to restore your computer to factory default without a disk which I just did on my old pc yesterday, F8 before the computer starts up and it should give you the option, or you can do a system restore which will restore you to before you had a problem. Norton sucks so you should get rid of that, Microsoft Security essentials actually scored pretty low on their last lab test against other anti virus programs. I'd try AVG or Avast. I prefer Avast myself, it's the second most downloaded free antivirus. You can also try Ad Aware which might get rid of some crap. No anti virus is 100 percent though. You will probably have to do some sort of restore from the sound of it. I'm late to the ball game. LOL. Report
January 4, 201214 yr comment_51343 The router was the source of the virus?? What kind of router was it? Report
January 4, 201214 yr comment_51349 I would have to think the virus was downloaded and then infected a non password protected router that then propagated the virus. Report
January 4, 201214 yr comment_51363 Couldn't the router then be set back to factory setting assuming the firmware wasn't severely damaged? Report
January 4, 201214 yr comment_51373 I would think so. Though I've never seen it happen to begin with so I'm just guessing. Report
January 4, 201214 yr Author comment_51416 I have no idea what kind of router it was. And I'll have to ask him how he came to such a weird conclusion. Report
January 5, 201214 yr comment_51420 I would think so. Though I've never seen it happen to begin with so I'm just guessing.I sure it is "possible" for a router to get a virus and distribute it to all the clients, however it would likely depend on the router.But same here, I have never seen or heard of this... Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.