December 1, 201114 yr comment_49161 An Android app developer has published what he says is conclusive proof that millions of smartphones are secretly monitoring the key presses, geographic locations, and received messages of its users.In a YouTube video posted on Monday, Trevor Eckhart showed how software from a Silicon Valley company known as Carrier IQ recorded in real time the keys he pressed into a stock EVO handset, which he had reset to factory settings just prior to the demonstration. Using a packet sniffer while his device was in airplane mode, he demonstrated how each numeric tap and every received text message is logged by the software.Ironically, he says, the Carrier IQ software recorded the “hello world” dispatch even before it was displayed on his handset. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/30/smartphone_spying_app/ Report
December 1, 201114 yr comment_49165 Wireless and constant connectivity will forever pose privacy threats. We are rapidly reaching a point where we will have to decide if technology is worth our privacy. Report
December 1, 201114 yr comment_49185 Absolutely NOTHING is private now-a-days. Nothing. It's kind of sad really. Report
December 1, 201114 yr comment_49188 Sadly not very surprising...I'm running CM7 on my Android and it gives the feature to block permissions for certain apps. Let's just say the one I still use can't track my location anymore. Report
December 1, 201114 yr Author comment_49189 Did you watch the video, Sky? He chose to block information in all apps, but the CIQ app isn't even listed in his normal app list or anywhere else on his phone, except for the All list in Running Apps. Report
December 1, 201114 yr Author comment_49195 Law professor and former Department of Justice attorney Paul Ohm says that Carrier IQ’s snoopware “is very likely a federal wiretap,” which means that the company could be prosecuted for breaking federal law.“Consumers need to know that their safety and privacy are being protected by the companies they trust with their sensitive information,” Sen. Franken said. “ … Carrier IQ has a lot of questions to answer.”Not a fan whatsoever of Al Franken, but I'm glad someone in the government is upset over this. Report
December 1, 201114 yr comment_49200 Wow. I think this is the first time ever I will be uttering the following phrase.THANK YOU VERIZON WIRELESS!!!They don't use CarrierIQ.https://twitter.com/#!/VZWjeffrey/statuses/142206836832075777 Report
December 7, 201114 yr comment_49651 They don't use CarrierIQ.https://twitter.com/...206836832075777How very cool. I have Verizon. Though who's to say they don't have something different that does the same thing? Report
December 8, 201114 yr comment_49723 I'm sure they do have some sort of tracking programs and data collection stuff. Just about every company does. Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.