October 28, 201114 yr comment_47350 The House version of the Internet Blacklist Bill was released October 26, 2011, with no effort to fix problems that existed in the Senate version. A violation of the First Amendment, it is contrary to official positions of internet freedom and censorship. “Under the Internet Blacklist Bill -- S.968, formally called the PROTECT IP Act -- the Department of Justice would force search engines, browsers, and service providers to block users' access to websites that have been accused of copyright infringement -- without even giving them a day in court.”This bill could shut down YouTube, Twitter and many other social websites that bring together the Occupy movements across the nation and world---any user-generated content site where the law can make the sites’ owners legally responsible for the posted content of its users.Additionally, the bill could shut down music storage lockers and cloud-based products, while its broad-based terminology includes provisions that allow selected websites to be charged with felony charges for streaming unlicensed content---video game play-throughs, coverage of band performances and karaoke videos. http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/313463Just imagine what kind of an effect it'd have on a site like ours, that uses assets from other companies. We use almost all forms of social media and youtube is a big help to us. Report
October 28, 201114 yr comment_47354 This bill is crazy. Our government just recently was bashing China for their censorship of the web and now they are proposing the same thing. Report
October 28, 201114 yr comment_47368 Those in power are afraid things will change? Who has real power? Makes you question everything around you, including hypocrisy and contradiction.I will be upset because YouTube is one of my favorite entertainment sources. Things will seriously change though if YouTube goes away. Imagine if not EVERYBODY has access to this entertainment! Wow. Report
October 29, 201114 yr comment_47393 did you hear that for the first time in history, the president is giving authority to activate the national emergency broadcast system?it's november 9 at 2 pm est. all broadcasting will be shut down.one guy said it best, it's not a test. tests are done at 4 am to not inconvenience people. this is a demonstration. Report
October 29, 201114 yr comment_47396 The actual language in S. 968 doesn't really support this article. It's been writen up specifically to combat P2P networks and T*rrent hosting sites operating outside the United States that infringe on American owned intellectual properties, even more specifically Pirate Bay and its user base in the US. It doesn't read as if it applies to social networking and video hosting sites, because those are already regulated by the owners of the IP or subsidiary of them.Sites like Youtube or Facebook terms of use cover such issues already and are legally binding/enforceable, so this proposal doesn't cover them. Its really only written to stop the flow of commerce to those site that don't have ownership of the property itself, thus taking away any incentive to continue operation. Lastly, if such a bill actually existed, that could potentially stop the operation of sites like Youtube, Facebook and Twiiter, it would certainly be met with legal opposition almost immediately from those sites, this proposal was written and made public back in May.Its never been voted on in the House and probably never will be. I'm sure Congress realises this bill would be unenforceable. Report
October 29, 201114 yr Author comment_47398 Written back in May, sure, but this is the house version released on the 26th of this month. Why is that important? Nothing was fixed from the Senate version which most thought would happen.Also, if you check out places like JTV, they're no longer really keeping tabs on the movie and TV channels. Simpsons, Family Guy, movies that are showing in theaters right now, etc. They'll shut them down every once in awhile, but if you look at the names of the owners of those channels, they've just incrementally numbered their names so it's easy for people to find them. Moviez_04 as a made up example.As far as I know, there's no way to combat a site like Pirate Bay. If they're run like another site I used to frequent, they're hosted on an old oil rig facility off in international waters. Some online poker sites are run this way, too. How does Pirate Bay even make any money? I honestly don't know. Is it ads? Is there a subscription fee? I worry about bills such as these, since our government isn't exactly transparent. I won't say I understand all the intricacies of this bill, but I do know it has me worried. It's my opinion, that something like this, is the first step into something larger. Report
October 29, 201114 yr comment_47401 I worry about bills such as these, since our government isn't exactly transparent. I won't say I understand all the intricacies of this bill, but I do know it has me worried. It's my opinion, that something like this, is the first step into something larger.This I absolutely agree with, I'm just not so sure there is anything intentionally or unintentionally deviant within this bill. I just believe it was poorly conceived and written. Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.