Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gamercide

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Welcome back to Gamercide!

Any Smokers out there?

Featured Replies

Wife bought me an electric smoker for Fathers Day (2 cats = Daddy. lol) It's a cabinet style and all stainless steel with casters for easy location/relocation. Any hints/recipes you can slide my way would be appreciated as I am a complete novice and don't want to waste too many cuts. I have bought the Jack Daniels wood chips and apple wood chunks to start off with. It comes with Hickory but I have read that Hickory can be overpowering. Anybody have any fave woods or cuts of meat to share?

I stay away from Hickory, too. Madrone and apple chips is my fave smoke.

The one I got, uses open flame or propane. Tri Tip is super good, smoked. You can do either a dry rub, or even a baste. You don't want to open the smoker too much to baste, though. Meat thermometer when you smoke is your best tool. Don't rely on the gauge on the outside of the smoker.

As far as recipe's goes, I don't think I've ever used one. I usually just toss on my favorite spices/rubs and let it do its thing. It's hard to mess up, seriously.

I use a mix of apple and pecan wood on pork and brisket (Fish and poultry sometimes). I use cherry wood on hams, but my favorite is maple wood. Usually get my woods from here: http://www.bbqsmokerwood.com/

I don't use the packaged Jack Daniels chips. I take some smaller pieces of wood (Your favorite kind. Heck mix and match too.) and let them soak for a while. Lay them out in the sun for a bit to dry a little, then rinse them off so you don't get flames from the alcohol. Have fun man. :D

  • Author

I use a mix of apple and pecan wood on pork and brisket (Fish and poultry sometimes). I use cherry wood on hams, but my favorite is maple wood. Usually get my woods from here: http://www.bbqsmokerwood.com/

I don't use the packaged Jack Daniels chips. I take some smaller pieces of wood (Your favorite kind. Heck mix and match too.) and let them soak for a while. Lay them out in the sun for a bit to dry a little, then rinse them off so you don't get flames from the alcohol. Have fun man. :D

That website looks good. Thanks for the tip!

  • Author

Buddy of mine uses pecan wood when he cooks and its always good but i dont know anything about stuff like that I just know what ive seen him do.

Going to get some pecan, cherry and maple from Spawn's website tip!

  • Author

I love smoked fish. I just haven't done it yet. Maybe this Summer I'll take the kid fishing and bring back some to smoke. Smoked venison is great, too.

Smoked fish is not going to happen, lol. My wife has an aversion to fish and really smokers should be used separately for fish. I've been told this is true by a few people so far. My first cut will be a Boston Butt!

  • Author

I stay away from Hickory, too. Madrone and apple chips is my fave smoke.

The one I got, uses open flame or propane. Tri Tip is super good, smoked. You can do either a dry rub, or even a baste. You don't want to open the smoker too much to baste, though. Meat thermometer when you smoke is your best tool. Don't rely on the gauge on the outside of the smoker.

As far as recipe's goes, I don't think I've ever used one. I usually just toss on my favorite spices/rubs and let it do its thing. It's hard to mess up, seriously.

Meat therm is a good idea. I'll hit up amazon. God I love that site! lol.

  • Author

Smoker has landed! Have to cure it first for 4 hrs then it's off to Costco for Boston Butt!:yahoo:

  • Author

I went out to dinner last night so I'm breaking it in right now. Using apple wood to cure the insides for a few hours. Have to research the rub I want to use so I'll probably not smoke until Tues or so. My Costco doesn't sell Boston Butt so I'll have to go to an actual butcher. Closest one is about 10 miles away. That's far for San Diego to get anything...LOL.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.