Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gamercide

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Welcome back to Gamercide!

Anyone finding it harder and harder.......

Featured Replies

Anyone finding it harder and harder to spend $60 or full price on some of these new titles coming out?

Like, for example, Brink. It is fun and I think the game got a worse rap than it should of but still it is unpolished. My friend brought it over and we had a blast but $60 seems expensive for that game for what it is. Brink only had 8 maps and they all look nearly the same lol!

Homefront was terrible.

It seems like certain aspects of games are going backwards for me. Graphics and gameplay wise. Having lower end graphics I can forgive but at least make the game fun! Every since Borderlands I have not bought a game for full price on day one where I was blown away and thought "Wow this game was worth every penny".

Another case in point is Dungeon Siege 3, coming out soon. I am a sucker for these types of dungeon crawlers but I was reading up on it and found out that while it will have drop-in/drop-out co-op like borderlands, but only the host gets to keep all the xp, loot and money. The player joining gets nothing to take back to his game. What incentive do I have to play with someone else as a guest other than to just help them? Why even put this in?? Just seems lazy to me, they should be able to figure this out by now. Take more time and do it right!

I just hope Rage does not disappoint.

/endrant

It's not just you. There are major developers and publishers reporting huge losses over the last quarter. It's a steady trend and one that worries me. I think by before final quarter, we'll see some smaller studios either close up shop, or be gobbled up by the few titans in the industry.

The biz forecasters generally look out for the major titles, so their 'wisdom' won't help out this trend. If they'd just look at how well a AAA title priced at $49.99 would sell at launch, versus a $59 title, they might be able to see it. Their shareholders would never go for it, though. Their own greed wouldn't, either. They like that automatic scale back of price, as soon as the sales start to slow. It's all in a plan that most use, and it's been in place for a long time.

That's why I was excited about Section 8's newest digital title. It's a hefty game with different modes and it's only $15. I view it as a test market and also a sort of apology for their retail title that shipped previous to it.

I think it'd take an MS or Sony to get it going. Imagine if one of them had a deal with major publishers to sell the same multi-platform game at launch, for $10 less than the other console. For gamers who owned both consoles, it'd be an easy decision on what console they'd buy it for. For gamers, this would be a boon in different ways. For many, they wouldn't need to worry about which console all their friends were buying it for. They'd all get it for the console that was selling it cheaper at launch. That way, they could all be playing the same game together.

Both Sony and MS have the means to do this. All publishers should be interested in this as well, as it's their sales numbers and profits that make their shareholders happy. Just create a division with upper tier publishers and developers, cut them into an exclusive deal, and let the profits dictate.

Also, with a lower price point, you'd be better able to gauge how the community felt about the game. More would have it in the beginning of its sales cycle. Not a bargain bin gamer, playing it a half year after launch.

It seems rather simple. I'm sure there's some reason(s) any involved would find wrong with it.

Portal 2 and Halo Reach were the last 2 games that I bought on release day. Most games I just wait for about 6 month to a year to play. That way all the bugs are worked out and the price point is much more reasonable.

Yup, I've just kinda resorted to buying stuff when it's on sale on amazon now or old stuff that I missed that's 20 or below.

  • Author

I agree with PK, the lower price point would clear up some of this. $60 plus tax is just too much right now. It's too bad the greed will hold this back. I noticed the trend with me for awhile now especially this year. I have been waiting on games to drop in price that I thought were for sure, day one buys for me. Just a little bit of patience and the game goes on sale.

Amazon is good for this just like just like PaNfOot and Skylark say. For example, I noticed Portal 2 was $60 on launch. Just a week later on Amazon it went down to 34.99! It is currently $39.99. If I could just wait a little I am going to save alot of money.

It just seems we are getting some rushed unfinished games lately which is making me even more choosy and cautious for a day one purchase. This trend is worrying me too. I want to be excited for these titles but getting burnt and letdown too many times in a row is causing me to just play what I have for now or get a game on a awesome sale like Alpha Protocol.

Lastly, I have cut back on getting DLC. Borderlands was one of the few games where I knew the DLC was made in response to fan demand instead of content that was held back to sell as DLC.

R* still has my money on day one. They are making great games still and RDR is still a game that is holding the interest in gamers all these months later. I'll trust them until they show they cannot be trusted. The DLC controversy that they find themselves in has me suspicious but not cautious. I guess I'll find out what that's all about real soon. My day 1 delivery of LA Noire is in 4 days.

I'm passing on most full priced games these days. Crysis 2 was the last game that justified that price tag for me. I bought Alpha Protocol for 12 bucks a week ago and I've pretty much been buying nothing but arcade games as of late.

I bought Portal 2, but the last game I bought prior to that was Halo ODST! I hardly ever buy things anymore. There's just not enough time in my life to play everything I want to. I can't imagine the entire world is in my shoes but I can definitely see that my gaming has peaked last year and has been on a steady decline.

Portal 2, pre-purchased on Steam.

Crysis 2 before that, very disappointed with it TBH.

Duke Nukem Forever is next game I'll buy at launch.

I've almost stopped buying big budget games altogether. The Indie games on Steam are way better than most recent big budget titles. More fun for less funds.

I liked games like Mirror Edge but I think big studios are finding the core game sales of generic FPS and Third person action adventure are starting to see declining sales due to them saturating the market with them. They need to find introduce quirky games.

Its much like the movie industry except the games industry hasn't been around long enough to experience this decline as previously massive hardware leaps and graphical improvements have kept peoples attention and natural evolution from 2D to 3D gaming.

So the industry will find it has to find something new. It is obvious that gamers are screaming out for fresher titles with the Wii's success but I don't believe new ways to control will ultimately be enough, we want more original titles!!

The likes of Super Meat Boy, Portal 2, Mirrors Edge and Amnesia offer refreshing changes from generic action man, kills generic enemy.

Yeah. I can say that price is one of the major reasons I've stuck to PC gaming. They're usually that 10 bucks cheaper or more and it's worth it to me for that. Matter of fact, the games like CoD that were 60 at launch I didn't buy at all unless they were on sale.

I will say my $60 game buys have really dropped also. While i do have gears 3 and Batman or pre-order., any game i get now is $25 or under. Honestly with the price of everything else going up i just cant bring myself to drop that much on a reg basis. I think the gaming market could honestly look at a price cut back, $45 for new would be where i would sit.

Well, here in Australia, most console games are $120. I know that I don't like buying full price games, unless I'm sure it will be great.

Well, here in Australia, most console games are $120. I know that I don't like buying full price games, unless I'm sure it will be great.

So you're looking for a price drop to $100? Guess you're still paying for that Crocodile Dundee crap 2 decades or so back. :(

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.