Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gamercide

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Welcome back to Gamercide!

Trouble Mounts For Sony as News Breaks of First Official Credit Card Theft, FBI gets Involved

Featured Replies

8591-500x250.jpg

News has broke this morning that the possible first case of credit card theft  from the Playstation Network security breach that happened last week may have been reported.

Rory Spreckley from Australia told ABC News that he logged in to check his bank account and noticed that there were $2,000 worth of new charges billed to his account that he did not make.

“I logged into my bank account just to check everything was OK and I found out there was some just over $2,000 in charges which I didn’t personally accrue,”

Sony has not made an official comment regarding this or another report that Playstation hacking site PSX-Scene is claiming that an underground website is trying to sell 2.2 million credit card user information from Europe that was supposedly stolen from the recent Sony security breach.

In the US, San Diego’s FBI cyber crime units has gotten involved in the Sony case along with Attorney Generals in 22 other states and possibly the Federal Trade Commision who are all just trying to make sense of how the Playstation Network’s security was compromised on such a huge level.

“The FTC may have jurisdiction in this particular case because it involves the loss of customer data through a security breach,” – FTC spokeswoman Claudia Bourne Farrell

As the trouble mounts for Sony publicly regarding the intrusion of privacy, behind the scenes the trouble may be effecting the electronic’s giant financially.  According UK Reuters, anaylists are estimating a $1 billion dollar loss for Sony as the aftermath of the security breach continues.

via Game Politics

View the full article

Thank GOD I had an exprired/non-valid card on my account. ******** I would have been so angry if that was me. I would PERSONALLY sue Sony. Screw the class-action suit. I would not only add monetary damages to my suit but also mental distress caused by the idea of not knowing if playing online again would cause future problems. Totally would go see a psychologist too about it to add to the case.

This is all completely ridiculous. It makes me irate that all of my personal information, and most likely my CC info was all stored in PLAINTEXT.

Could you imagine if something like this had happened with XBOX Live, Holy Crap!!!!! I guess sometimes you do get what you pay for. It will be interesting to see how this affects future console sales. If this is down for much longer it could be the end for the PS3.

I agree. I know yesterday I said that in the long run they shall pull through like Microsoft did with the 3 red lights issue, however I think that the PS3's sales may be doomed. Not to mention, whenever they do announce a new console they will need to be crystal clear about the security.

The RROD is still talked about and that didnt have the potential to ruin your life, this will be mentioned for a long time to come.

The RROD is still talked about and that didnt have the potential to ruin your life, this will be mentioned for a long time to come.

Absolutely. In this instance I feel there is absolutely no comparison. This is huge. This isn't just a $200 investment of your's crapping the bed due to shoddy manufacturing. This is something that potentially affects your whole LIFE. *shrugs*

Eff you Sony.

lol I'm glad I never got a PS3 to begin with. :D

Go to a friend's house who has one to play God of War 3 and Metal Gear Solid 4, and you're all set lol.

There are still exclusives I'd like to play like Uncharted (made by the same developer as good old Jak & Daxter) and InFamous, but I can live without 'em.

Don't be too haughty. Live could get hacked tomorrow.

I don't know why some of you guys are pooping your pants so severely over this. Yes it's a horrible thing and Sony could have done better but as MWB pointed out .. LIVE could be hacked tomorrow and the same thing could happen. One of the studio's I worked at in Manhattan actually lost ALL the employees pay cheques one pay period and their response to the whole thing was "Well all you information, SS numbers, bank account information AND my Green Card Number from the INS has likely been stolen. You guys should get some identity theft protection." That was their answer to what was totally their fault.

Honestly if you spend more than 10 minutes of your life on the internet and use either a credit card or debit card to buy something online from wherever (itunes, zune, amazon) you risk having all your personal data stolen. Nothing is safe on the internet .. hell even atm's at banks are getting hacked and peoples account information is being stolen that way.

There's a huge difference, Kev. Sony didn't bother encrypting the users data. Just the debit and cc stuff. Sure, they're the victim in this, but they were complacent in keeping your data secured. Now they aren't just the victim. Any customer is.

LIVE has had attacks before. Even their most popular spokespeople have been socially engineered.

Pooping pants? lol Not sure what that was about.

*edit* Also, Amazon has been hacked before. Many other places, too. Difference in those examples is, they protected their customers personal information. Sony did not.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.