April 11, 201115 yr comment_34534 http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2011/04/dubai-201104?fb_ref=social_fblike&fb_source=profile_oneline Report
April 11, 201115 yr comment_34539 Wow my sister goes to college in Dubai ! I'll have to ask her about this ! But Peek if yo find more articles like this please Send them this way! D: Report
April 11, 201115 yr comment_34550 Surprising I guess, but not completely unexpected from a city living in such excess. I will say this though, it's a testament to the enginuity of a fickle populous. Willing and able to change with an ever growing global economy, take chances with it's only true natural resource/export and expanding when so many others sit on their currency, waiting to weather this recession. I guess I just have alot of admiration for calculed risk takers. Report
April 11, 201115 yr comment_34551 Also, Dubai's culture is that of economic growth. Just as America was at a time a culture of industry, Japan a culture of heritage/pride and China a military culture. Culture is what a nation/city/tribe aspires to be through it's actions, culture is what unites a group and culture is ultimately indefinable because it is forever changing. Report
April 11, 201115 yr comment_34553 That culture isn't uniting anyone, though.I understand , but a certain percentage of any population will inevitably be impoverished. I think when it become an issue of neglect, on the behalf of a governing body is when real actions must be taken. I just don't think that the case here. It's not like many African and Central European nations that have pushed their countries into irreversible dept and disenfranchised an entire population. I'll admit, it's not at all good that Dubai has next to nothing to call it's own, but in a place with such rapid economic growth, it's sadly inevitable.However the most troubling issue is that, it is only about money. And money creates a terrible monster in so many men. Report
April 11, 201115 yr comment_34554 I'm not trying to step on any toes with something overly politicized. Because, it is sad to see culture thrown to the wayside for monetary clout. Report
April 11, 201115 yr comment_34557 World English Dictionary culture — n 1. the total of the inherited ideas, beliefs, values, and knowledge, which constitute the shared bases of social action 2. the total range of activities and ideas of a group of people with shared traditions, which are transmitted and reinforced by members of the group: the Mayan culture 3. a particular civilization at a particular period 4. the artistic and social pursuits, expression, and tastes valued by a society or class, as in the arts, manners, dress, etc 5. the enlightenment or refinement resulting from these pursuits 6. the attitudes, feelings, values, and behaviour that characterize and inform society as a whole or any social group within it.**Puts on flame retardant long underwear and goggles and apologizes in advance should his views and his alone ruffle any feathers***IMHO, Dubai has no "culture". It is a shiny plastic bauble in the middle of the desert that is cheap, gaudy and disposable. The Emiratis had a culture, if I remember correctly, rooted in the Bedouins. Dubai is as FAR from that culture as can be. In fact, it is a complete anathema to what came before it. Dubai is a shrine to excess and hubris.As to the statements: "I think when it become an issue of neglect, on the behalf of a governing body is when real actions must be taken. I just don't think that the case here" - Do you realize that the total population of Dubai is maybe 20% indigenous peoples? An overwhelming majority of the population originates from Asia, India, Sri-Lanka, the Philipines and other countries that work in conditions not unlike or -worse- than those seen here in the US for immigrant farm workers. In fact, in many instances they have even LESS civil and human rights, because of the Emirati government."It's not like many African and Central European nations that have pushed their countries into irreversible dept and disenfranchised an entire population." - It's not? I'd say that economic issues alone aside, 70% of the population, the work force, the "blue collar" backs that broke to make this mirage in the desert are pretty disenfranchised as it is. ....and don't even get me started on (the lack of) women's rights and "safety" abroad there. Report
April 11, 201115 yr comment_34559 I completely understand why we're not allowed to talk politics on Gamercide now. Things just get way too heated. Report
April 13, 201115 yr comment_34630 The economic collapse in the United States really hurt them because investment just stalled. The international flow of money stalled. They were overextended to begin with and a world-wide recession effectively put the nail in the coffin. Report
April 13, 201115 yr comment_34636 The economic collapse in the United States really hurt them because investment just stalled. The international flow of money stalled. They were overextended to begin with and a world-wide recession effectively put the nail in the coffin.Spending way too much. But Money is powered. Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.